mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Horst Bushing Anomoly?

Hi,
    The last time I rode my moto-lite, I was getting a knocking sound from the rear. I checked out my horst bushings, and while the did appear to have some slight ware, they were not that bad. However, when I started to pull the busghings, one side slid out, and the other was stuck. I went ahead and purchased a new bushing/bearing kit, and it appears to have the same problem.

Here is the step by step
    Install inside and outside plastic sleeve on left chainstay. Bushing slides right in and spins freely.

Install just outside plastic sleeve on right chainstay, and bushing slides in no problem. When I install the inside sleeve on the right chainstay, the bushing is hard to get in and does not spin.

The bushing does spin freely in the sleeves when they are not installed, so something is distorting plastic sleeve when it is installed.

I did bend a derailleur hanger a while back in a crash, but the linkage does not look damaged. Any ideas or suggestions? Do these bushings need to spin freely?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hey Kevin,

1. First thing to do is inspect the frame for cracks.
    2. Second, are you sure it is not your derailleur that is hitting the Horst Link? The XTR 970 derailleur has a rubber bumper that prevents the derailleur from making a knocking noise in the smaller cogs on your cassette.
    3.It's okay to have a little plave with busing but you don't want a whole lot of play as this is bushing slop and will cause play in the suspension system.

If you have trouble shot everything else and you still think it's bushing slop then get back me and I will tell you how to fix it.

Cheers,

Sopwithcamel

"El Whatever"
    As Sopwith said... you want the bushings snug in there. Any play translates there translates to a lot of movement and noises.
    Though, the bushing coming off easily is fine. Bushing just dropping off is a little suspicious, something to keep an eye on.

Just remember that the bushing is kept in place by the clevis on the chainstay. So, no much of a worry, but you don't want a lot of play there.

Start looking at the rest of the bearings as commonly those get shot before the HL bushings.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    As Sopwith said... you want the bushings snug in there. Any play translates there translates to a lot of movement and noises.
    Though, the bushing coming off easily is fine. Bushing just dropping off is a little suspicious, something to keep an eye on.

Just remember that the bushing is kept in place by the clevis on the chainstay. So, no much of a worry, but you don't want a lot of play there.

Start looking at the rest of the bearings as commonly those get shot before the HL bushings.

Thanks for the replies... I am actually mostly concerned about the snug bushing. On the left side, with all new parts, the bushing spins, but there is no play. On the right side it is snug, and is actually hard to pushin the chainstay. Is that normal?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Kevin, due to variations in tolerances one might spin and the other may not. You need only be concerned if their is significant excess play between the busing and the bushing hole (bushing slop). If it is just spinnging in the hole try some Loctite 242 between the busing and the pushing hole to help tighten up the tolerances to prevent the bushing from spinning. If you feel the tolerances are to loose, you can try a product like Devon aluminum putty to tighten up the tolerances.

I hope that helps,

Sopwithcamel