Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Hey Whafe, I9 review?

Whafe, I would love to hear your thoughts on your Industry Nines.

I am thinking about a set.

Thanks.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by orthorex
    Whafe, I would love to hear your thoughts on your Industry Nines.

I am thinking about a set.

Thanks.
    No news, good news... dontcha think??
    Check my Site

"Its All Good"
    Well I9's..................Apart from the Bling factor...

I really rate this wheelset, had them over one year now and they have been thrashed hard. They are still as true as the day I got them. Some spokes have got big chunks out of them due to hitting rocks etc, and this hasnt effected the wheelset...

They are loud, which I like... They engage awesome... And find them in general to be a good stiff wheelset..

I have had CK hubs, laced to Bonty Mustang rims, this was a great wheelset also...

I really think that CK has met his match against I9 wheels.............

I would get a set for sure, if you are in the market................. I hear that Competitive Cyclist has some in stock, not sure what colours they have....

Few pics to remind you............Mwah ha ha ha
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    CC has two sets of triple black which seems like a good choice. We California folk don't want attention.

Whafe, thanks for the report!

The pics are clean. I am stoked that I have seen pics of the set-up being properly abused.

Order is in.

"Its All Good"
    CC has two sets of triple black which seems like a good choice. We California folk don't want attention.

Whafe, thanks for the report!

The pics are clean. I am stoked that I have seen pics of the set-up being properly abused.

Order is in.
    Sweet as, you will enjoy them... I too wouldnt get red again, purely that there is so many loud colours out there now... As I did on the Nicolai, would go back to black again. Or black hubs, black rims and silver spokes...

I too am stoked that they have had a beating and still going strong as... Not a DH type beating, but some hard riding. Exactly really how a wheelset shoudl be used...

Enjoy, we want pics when those puppies arrive....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Order is in.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I may be in the minority, but I can't wait to be free of the UST circle j$rk. Heavy a$$ tires with sh!ty choices. No air holdin' Mavic SL garbage. I can't believe I still have all my fingers after wrestling with these freakin rims for 4 years.

Part true, part wife prep...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    4 years is a good trot for wheels. You certainly deserve new wheels. The first few rides on new wheels are always the greatest with that blingy better and stiffer feel.

I still prefer UST + goo but that's how I roll and what works best for me. I never have any drama's but I know how to wrench a bike .

Ti is addictive
    Since they are going on your Racer-X, what did you go with......AM, or Ultralight, or did you Frankenstein combo of DT 4.2/enduro hubset like me?????
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

mtbr member
    May 2005

Wink

AM. I agree. I deserve the new wheels. It's a safety issue.

I have always wrenched my own bike, I just can no longer stand the inconsistency of the UST thing.

Pix soon!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    ... I deserve the new wheels. It's a safety issue.
    You are very sensible, I hope your wife understands that you are a responsible safety conscious man who makes wise decisions.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Since they are going on your Racer-X, what did you go with......AM, or Ultralight, or did you Frankenstein combo of DT 4.2/enduro hubset like me?????

At 185 LBS. I am going with AM set. It seems like the sensible thing to do.

Ti is addictive
    Geez Ortho, Formula brakes, now I-9's, think its time to upgrade to a Exogrid frame next.

Just say you bought new stickers on your bike if you're wife asks you what's different about your bike
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Geez Ortho, Formula brakes, now I-9's, think its time to upgrade to a Exogrid frame next.

Just say you bought new stickers on your bike if you're wife asks you what's different about your bike
    I jumped the gun on the sticker thing. Titus had some new-old stock laying around. Actually, the wife didn't notice and she doesn't really care about my inability to stop buying stuff for my bike. She has weaknesses of her own.

Last edited by orthorex; 07-12-2007 at 10:50 PM.

"Its All Good"
    Sheesh, the I9's are going to be bling aling on that puppy, nice, bring on the pictures....

Good stuff....

mtbr member
    I have been beating on my I9s for almost a year now
    I freaking LOVE them
    they are very stiff, as fast if not faster engaging than Kings and they ROLL so much better
    I have been a die hard King fan for a long time and it was hard for me to switch..
    but these are better wheels and I generally despise prebuilt wheels

txn
    mtbr member
    I'm loving the old-style sticker on your bike. That looks SWEET!

not so super...
    Not Wafe but The I9's are a sweet wheelset. I've been beating on mine for about 1.5 years and they are still true and have given me no mechanical trouble.

I recently torn down the rear hub to give it some fresh grease. The process was simple and once open I found the insides to be quite clean. That says good things for the seals.

The engagement is great and the stiffness the wheels provide enhances steering contol plus puts more power to the trail (feels that way anyway).

Triple black is sweet!
    Nothing to see here.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by txn
    I'm loving the old-style sticker on your bike. That looks SWEET!
    Agree, it does look mint.... The blue goes real well with the overall look of the bike...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bizarre

Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Some spokes have got big chunks out of them due to hitting rocks etc, and this hasnt effected the wheelset...
    Everytime I put a gouge in a spoke they soon break. I've busted 4 spokes in ~400 miles of riding. Everytime a rock flys up and hits my spokes I joke that I've just pissed away another 5 bucks

Perhaps it's because they're 29er wheels? I have the Red/Red combo (came on the bike from e-bay) and it's too loud for me. I've been replacing broken red spokes w/ black ones so I'd image in a year or so I should have a mostly black wheel

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by MightySchmoePong
    Everytime I put a gouge in a spoke they soon break. I've busted 4 spokes in ~400 miles of riding. Everytime a rock flys up and hits my spokes I joke that I've just pissed away another 5 bucks

Perhaps it's because they're 29er wheels? I have the Red/Red combo (came on the bike from e-bay) and it's too loud for me. I've been replacing broken red spokes w/ black ones so I'd image in a year or so I should have a mostly black wheel
    MS, interesting to hear that, I havnt even had one get loose. There are many with chunks out, you could well be right with the 29er wheels

Sucks to hear that though.......... I have for spare black spokes and 4 spare red ones, havnt used one of them

this account retired
    Quote Originally Posted by hammerheadbikes
    I have been beating on my I9s for almost a year now
    I freaking LOVE them
    they are very stiff, as fast if not faster engaging than Kings and they ROLL so much better
    I have been a die hard King fan for a long time and it was hard for me to switch..
    but these are better wheels and I generally despise prebuilt wheels
    wow....coming from Charles, that speaks volumes and makes my contribution trivial. Having said that, i friggin love them, also coming from King wheelsets in the past. I have I9s on 2 of my bikes and they simply rock. The only complaint I had, which is now a moot point, was that the first wheels off the line had a non adjustable preload rear hub but once it became available, I9 sent it to me and I replaced the guts from the original. I cant say enough about them....ESPECIALLY for a 29er where added wheel stiffness is a huge plus

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Not Wafe but The I9's are a sweet wheelset. I've been beating on mine for about 1.5 years and they are still true and have given me no mechanical trouble.

I recently torn down the rear hub to give it some fresh grease. The process was simple and once open I found the insides to be quite clean. That says good things for the seals.

The engagement is great and the stiffness the wheels provide enhances steering contol plus puts more power to the trail (feels that way anyway).

Triple black is sweet!
    I [SIZE="6"]LOVE[/SIZE] you too SSINGA...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Wow, now I am REALLY fired up to get them on.

On another note. I have one older and one new Formula Puro. I was doing a little maintenance, pulled off the older brake pump and noticed some erosion of the clear-coat on my bar. Looks like some dot fluid was leaking out of the reservoir from the breathing hole on the under side of the pump clamp. I called Formula. Chris said that they changed the diaphragm material and could be swapped out for about 15 bucks. If you have "older" Formulas you should probably take a look.

I have to say that Formula USA customer service is so good it's a joke. Always an instant response and so helpful. Way to go Formula.

this account retired
    Wow, now I am REALLY fired up to get them on.

On another note. I have one older and one new Formula Puro. I was doing a little maintenance, pulled off the older brake pump and noticed some erosion of the clear-coat on my bar. Looks like some dot fluid was leaking out of the reservoir from the breathing hole on the under side of the pump clamp. I called Formula. Chris said that they changed the diaphragm material and could be swapped out for about 15 bucks. If you have "older" Formulas you should probably take a look.
    dude, you should be fired up, and see below pic for my contribution to the I9 marketing campaign (on sticker)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast