Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Help- Titus Racer-X Build Problems

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  orthorex 
#1 ·
Just finished building up a 2008 Aluminum Racer-X.

Encountered two problems I would like some help on.

#1 The cassette lockring (SRAM) rubs against the inside of the replaceable dropout nut. The hub is DT Swiss 240. To me it looks like a manufacturing tolerance problem. I've built lots of bikes and the only time I can remember encountering something similar was on a steel Burley tandem. That bike had a traditional hub that I was able to disassemble and rebuild to fix the spacing. Not an option with this hub. Have others encountered this?

#2 The cable for the front derailleur rubs against the inside of the carbon X-bridge- not a great situation. I bought a SRAM X.9 top mount, top-swing derailleur. Is this the wrong type of derailleur?

Thanks for any help!

#2 ·
#1. It's a known issue with the SRAM cassette and dropout nut. Shimano's lockring stays clear of the nut. Titus has finally addressed this issue by relieving the nut interface so it is flush with the inside of the dropout.

#2 I think most people run the FD cable outside of the X-brace. Like this...

Attachments

#3 ·
Shimano

sweet said:
Just finished building up a 2008 Aluminum Racer-X.

Encountered two problems I would like some help on.

#1 The cassette lockring (SRAM) rubs against the inside of the replaceable dropout nut. The hub is DT Swiss 240. To me it looks like a manufacturing tolerance problem. I've built lots of bikes and the only time I can remember encountering something similar was on a steel Burley tandem. That bike had a traditional hub that I was able to disassemble and rebuild to fix the spacing. Not an option with this hub. Have others encountered this?

#2 The cable for the front derailleur rubs against the inside of the carbon X-bridge- not a great situation. I bought a SRAM X.9 top mount, top-swing derailleur. Is this the wrong type of derailleur?

Thanks for any help!
Preferred front is a Shimano top swing, bottom clamp. SLX, LX, XT, XTR will all be better than the X9.

Find a Shimano cassette lockring, or file on the nut that holds the hanger in place.

#4 ·
Looks like I will have to ditch some SRAM parts. My Racer-X does not have the brace with a pivot on the top tube. The brace is mounted on the seat tube so that part of the routing is fine. It is where the inner cable exits the cable stop going to the derailleur that rubs. More than likely a derailleur with a slightly different clamp position will fix that.

Thanks and thanks to Titus who followed up with me on this as well.

#5 ·
sweet said:
Looks like I will have to ditch some SRAM parts. My Racer-X does not have the brace with a pivot on the top tube. The brace is mounted on the seat tube so that part of the routing is fine. It is where the inner cable exits the cable stop going to the derailleur that rubs. More than likely a derailleur with a slightly different clamp position will fix that.

Thanks and thanks to Titus who followed up with me on this as well.
My reading comprehension must really be in the thank. :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.