mtbr member

Help me out with slackset headset.

I think I have installed the headset in the wrong way...
    What I wanted to do is to reduce the HA but I think I installed it the other way around.
    Yesterday I took it around the block and it was turning very nice and I was surprised. I thought that the 65 degrees would rough to steer. I was sure that the headset was correct so I didn't payed any attention. Now looking the photos that I took this looks more than a 68 degrees...

This is the headset, I think in order to reduce the HA I should install the small end facing the driver when he is sitting. Correct?

These are the pictures of the bike. Clearly the side with the logo is from the drivers side. I think is wrong...

Brant, help!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Looks correctly installed to me if your aim was to steepen your HA. Why you want to do that however......

mtbr member
    My aim is to reduce the HA degrees. That is slacken. Correct?
    ie normal the HA is 66 degrees. I want to make it 65. Thus slacken the angle.
    "Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by George Gr View Post
    here you can clearly see, that you have steepened the ha.

mtbr member
    I think I did...
    "Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

mtbr member
    I've never installed one but it looks backwards to me, pretty sure the writing on the cup would be readable by the rider too.

mtbr member
    These are the instructions: For my next trick - you'll need these - SlackSet Instructions - shedfire's dumping ground

You can put it both ways. But to reduce the HA it is the other way around...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    You need to turn it around.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    "This is the headset, I think in order to reduce the HA I should install the small end facing the driver when he is sitting. Correct?"

Yes, you are correct. Small end on top cup facing rider. And .. if your headset has one, the small end on the bottom cup AWAY from rider. These 2 TOGETHER will slacken your HA.

mtbr member
    Thank you all guys!
    I just came back from my LBS. Everything is as it should be now!

Saturday I will take it for a test ride on the near by Imittos mountain!