mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Help me identify the shot bearing on my Motolite

I have a tiny bit of side play in my ML. All the bearings were changed out about 500 miles ago. Is there a way to identify which bearings are shot? I thought that maybe someone on here would have an idea. I'm not opposed to changing them all out as it is only about a $50 job but if I only need to drop in one set that's preferred.

Thanks in advance...

Mike
    Last edited by mnigro; 11-21-2012 at 03:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    I have a tiny bit of side play in my ML. All the bearings were changed out about 500 miles ago. Is there a way to identify which bearings are shot? I thought that maybe someone on here would have an idea. I'm not opposed to changing them all out as it is only about a $50 job but if I only need to drop in one set that's preferred.

Thanks in advance...

Mike

Pinch the pivots w/ your hand while rocking the parts

Check drive side rocker if bearing housing is loose, and drive side horst link bushing

HL clevis can be harder to diagnose, needs torque on drivetrain. Those can knock front to back when pedaling.. some of the things I can remember from theML

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the help. Dropped the shock out and it was two rocker bearings. Swapped all of those out and also did the bushings. Noticed some nice nicks in the carbon stays up where the edge of the tires run. Looks like it was from debris caught in the tread. Gotta keep an eye on that area but rear end is nice and tight again.

Main pivot bearings were good. Long live the MOTOLITE.