mtbr member
    Nov 2005

New question here. Help me find some hand protection

So June 10th while riding in Moab, I landed a steep little ledge drop all on my front wheel, quickly becoming disconnected from my ML and very connected to the ground (face first). It actually surprised me, after scooting around on it so much, how brutally hard the ground felt, but that's another thing. I got a babyhead in the mouth, giving me two shattered teeth, a root canal (possibly a second soon), and braces for two years. I went down fast enough that my hands were still in a riding position when I crumpled into the rock. On my right hand, the tip of my middle finger was bruised. On my left hand, I must have clipped something, because my 5th metacarpal (below the pinky) got a fracture and a complex dislocation. I had to have orthopaedic surgery, complete with three temporary pins sticking out of my hand. The cast comes off and the pins come out on the 15th.

My surgeon said I should be able to start doing stuff again as soon as the cast comes off, with some notes. Due to the nature of the injury, the joint may become extremely arthritic, or it may just not take the reduction. If either of those things occur, the joint would have to be fused. Or, if I smack it just right during its 6 to 9 month healing period and break it again, it would have to be fused.

I'm supremely anxious to ride again, however, I really want this to heal instead of having another surgery and another month or more in a cast. So I'll be skiing this winter instead of boarding, and confining myself to commuting and light trail biking.

But I'm not even doing light trail without good hand protection. I need something that offers some armor on the pinky side of the hand, where the pins in the X-ray are. I can't seem to find any gloves that offer more than just knuckle padding, and I can't find any armor pads that are designed for the wrist area. I'm hoping I'm just looking in all the wrong places. I'll make something myself if I have to, but I'd trust a real product a lot more.

Any suggestions?

searcher
    ooh. thats a hard one..
    Rollerskaters use some wrist protection as I remember, did you have a look at those?
    Kovi

"El Whatever"
    You need this, bro...

Just pulling your leg, man.... Hope you heal real soon!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Check my Site