Thread: Help me decide!

mtbr member

Help me decide!

I have to make a decision soon. I am contemplating buying a Rockstar. I currently have an old, but still very good switchblade with the 5.25" rockers. Since I have owned it, I have changed my riding style quite a bit due to a back injury and subsequent surgery (mtn bike related). I used to be more aggressive with the drops and loved to push my limits. After my surgery I toned it down a lot.

Now I ride less aggressive and more endurance. Yes, I have ridden my SB in a 100 mile race, 100K race and done a 100+ mile self supported single day adventure ride. I am sure that the Rockstar is much better for those types of rides. But is she worth at that coin? I am in the need of rebuilding my fork (talas) and my rear shock. I could send them to push and have them reworked for my riding style and save some serious cash. I could even upgrade my drive train to 2x10 which appeals to me tremendously. I would leave my wheels just as they are, Hadley through axels front and rear laced up with Arch rims.

What say ye? Keep the SB and give her a refresh or go for broke (and be broke) and get the Rockstar?

I am very concerned with the low BB on the rockstar compared to my SB. I don't want to be smacking my pedals all the time. I really hate that! I have been contemplating the Tallboy, but am concerned about the carbon. The rockstar's carbon rear concerns me for obvious reasons too.

Any input would be great. Thanks in advance.
    MCM #0007

Jayhawk29er
    Jun 2010
    I have about 600 miles on my L Rockstar aluminum frame bought back in July, so far, so good. Got pedal strikes on first few rides but shock adjustments (I weighed 200 lbs) + moving to clipless cured it. Biggest transition was to a 29er riding style and different momentum characteristics--not worse, in fact better overall--but different. Mountain Bike Action current issue has a good 26er-29er comparison that I agree with. I moved to the RS from a 26er hard tail and wanted a more cushy ride for my 51 yr old body, and have not been disappointed. It may be because of a better fitness level now, but I am riding a lot longer with fewer aches since I bought this bike. I ride rough terrain but no drops over a foot or two. I've only heard of one rear triangle failure on a RS but it is a risk. My bike build is about 28 lbs---not super-light but seems lighter on the trail. As far as cost, yes, it was expensive, but you can pick a RS frame up for about $500- $1k less than what I paid before Titus was sold. I was looking at Tallboys and bailed on it due to concerns that carbon wouldn't hold up on our local rocky trails. I see plenty of them out there, though, so maybe the durability thing is overblown. If I were going to change out the RS, I would take a hard look at a Pivot 429, but they're not cheap. Think I'll stick with the RS for several more years or until it breaks.