mtbr member
    Oct 2007

heavy rider in a RX??

Hi guys,
    coming for HT and considering a FS bike.
    based in the terrain I ride a RX is OK, but since I'm a heavy rider..220# @ 5'10"...is the RX really OK for me??

feedback, comments , advice????

thanks

Pedro

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Itatiburi
    Hi guys,
    based in the terrain I ride a RX is OK, but since I'm a heavy rider..220# @ 5'10"...is the RX really OK for me??

thanks

Pedro
    I'm 230 pound rider and ran a Moto Lite for about 3 years without any problems. I would think that the RX would be no problem unless you really abuse it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hi guys,

thanks

Pedro
    An older RX I wouldn't hesitate on; the newer ones "look" more fragile to me. Not sure they really are, but they don't look nearly as beefy. The old RX frames were really tough.

11 is one louder than 10

Shouldn't be a problem

I rode a couple different Racer X's (granted one was a Hammerhead 100X with a beefier downtube) at anywhere from 200-230lbs and never had any problems.

I never kept one for more than 2 seasons, but as far as ride quality they were plenty stiff, and as far as durability the ONLY problem I had was with a 1999 RX which used the old 2 bolt mounting system for the rear end to the shock and it shifted a few times.

But that is a non issue at this point.

The Hammerhead 100X was still one of my favorite bikes of all time.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    You'll be fine on a Titus as they are way overbuilt. The Carbon RX is really stiff and comes with a 5 year warranty. I am of similar weight and build to yourself and have lots of kilometers on my Carbon Racer-X.

Sopwithcamel

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    I'm in your weight range and ride a 2005 RX. No discernable flex. Stiff as hell. If you are building the frame yourself opt for handbuilt wheels and proven durable components to sweeten the ride even more. Nothing more disappointing than flexy parts on a stiff ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    guys,
    I would like to thank all of you for your comments.
    I guess then.. the Racer X is the way to go...
    Telebiker, I'm building the frame myself, already have:
    wheels (Mavic 819, DT340 hubs, DT spokes), drivetrain XO all over the places using XO grip shifters( still an opening for a FD, until I pick the frame) , 09 reba team, Easton EA70 bars aluminum, and Avid BB7 mechanical brakes, 180F/160R..
    just need to pick the frame in order to select: headset, stem, seat tube and the crankset too.
    I started purchasing components months ago for my dream ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Go with the XTR front Derailleur their is no equal their..... What are you plannig for Cranks???

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    No sure regarding cranks...
    was considering Truvativ stylo 3.3 (been using one for a year now and so far so good, priced very competitive too)...
    also thinking in a XT crankset...
    I consider for a rider of my level ( competitive level) and for my skills I would say the XTR crankset doesn't worth the extra $$$ from the XT.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    If you can't afford XTR then XT is the next best choice. They have highest stiffness to weight ratio in the industry. Plus, you can go to any bike shop and find parts for them without having to speical order. The XTR and XT cranks use the same external bottom bracket (BB). It's a good idea to keep a spare BB in your tool box as they get scarce in mid summer as it's the time of year everyone and his dog is swaping out their BB.........

Sopwithcamel

Bike to the Bone...
    No sure regarding cranks...
    was considering Truvativ stylo 3.3 (been using one for a year now and so far so good, priced very competitive too)...
    also thinking in a XT crankset...
    I consider for a rider of my level ( competitive level) and for my skills I would say the XTR crankset doesn't worth the extra $$$ from the XT.
    Check the SLX, pretty good option, I think it's almost as light as XT (at least lighter than LX) and probably as strong.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Ditto on the XT cranks. Strong, relatively light and reasonably priced.

I initially tried a carbon fibre FSA stem on the RX. Traded it for the Thomson stem on my wife's bike after a couple of rides. Noticable flex and creakage. My wife still hasn't noticed the swap. Thomson is my preferred seatpost. Bumproof!