mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Has anyone actually used a Racer X for racing?

Pretty much as the title ask... anyone? how did you get on? why choose the Racer X?

I have an XL Racer X and love it. It will never see a real race. But went for it because of its short travel and steep angles. I like to feel involved in the ride not just a passenger on a laid back bouncer. The Racer x smooths out the bits the 456C would beat me up on but doesn't soak up the trail too much.

J
    Follow me on Twitter @OnOneCarbon456

Hi I'am an On-One Carbon 456 mountain bike, follow me to find out what i get up to...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    That's what i thought.

Hi I'am an On-One Carbon 456 mountain bike, follow me to find out what i get up to...

mtbr member
    I think a lot of guys used to use Racer X's back in the day, Titus had the Titus/Chipolte team, guys used to use the Racer X 29 when it came out as well. Where I live I still see a few at local races here and there but most are on 29r's now.

Bike Addiction
    Havent raced mine yet either but will this month. Its been a great trail bike for the most part. Nerve racking on the rock gardens but a rocket on the single track.
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I raced mine from 2004 through 2012. It is a great bike and it was my "one" mt bike for everything. Not too stiff and not too soft, and I never wished the bike to behave any differently. The poor race results were soley due to the rider.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Re: Has anyone actually used a Racer X for racing?

I'll be racing mine this summer. I just got it a few weeks ago and it's on the trainer till the weather gets better and the trails open up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yes. I have a Racer X and Racer X Carbon, both I think are 2008 vintage. Bot the Alu as a complete bike and then saw the carbon frame on eBay (2yrs ago) and had to have it. Really love the bikes. Never ridden a 29er but have read all the reviews. At 22lbs, I figure I'd need to spend a lot to get a 29er to beat my Racer X Carbon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ononecarbon456 View Post
    That's what i thought.
    What did you think?
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thank for the reply's.

What do i think...i originally though due to lack of reply's the racer had the name but not the cred... but now i think its both, good job guys. Go forth and race and do well!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I raced mine as well. It was my favorite bike. I will miss my Racer X.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Aside from borrowing a 29er ht recently for a race, I only have my 08 racer x for racing. It's a little on the heavy side I suppose, but you ride/race what you have. I'm contemplating getting the carbon x as 95% of the parts would swap right over. I love it though, and hoping for a 27.5" version.

jms
    mtbr member

Frequently

I've endurance raced my RX29 fairly frequently over the last 5 years:

3 x Cascade Cream Puffs, 3 x 12 hours of Humboldt, 3 x 12 Hours of Weaverville, 3 x Whiskeytown 9 to 5, High Cascades 100, Tahoe Sierra 100, Boggs 8 Hour, 12 Hours of Temecula, etc., etc.
    Has anyone actually used a Racer X for racing?-hc10011mjba133-21-50-28.jpg
    It's still a front line endurance race bike with a Push Monarch RT3 rear shock and a [now] a 2013 Lefty XLR [Thanks Jake @ Project 321]. With DT 190/Edge wheels @ 24.75lbs and durable.
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have done a few duathalons and other various local races on the racer X. I will say that I could keep up with most everyone in those, but there were times where I wished I did not have the weight of the extra squish. Although there were also times where I was glad I had it when going through a more technical standing climb section. Always kept my rear tire planted well. But alas, it has gone to a new home, with an elated new owner. And I have gone SS and 29 only. She was an awesome bike though!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Independent Fabrications Steel Deluxe 29 SS
    Salsa El Mariachi Steel SS