mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Has anyone actually used a Racer X for racing?

Pretty much as the title ask... anyone? how did you get on? why choose the Racer X?

I have an XL Racer X and love it. It will never see a real race. But went for it because of its short travel and steep angles. I like to feel involved in the ride not just a passenger on a laid back bouncer. The Racer x smooths out the bits the 456C would beat me up on but doesn't soak up the trail too much.

J
    Follow me on Twitter @OnOneCarbon456

Hi I'am an On-One Carbon 456 mountain bike, follow me to find out what i get up to...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    That's what i thought.

Hi I'am an On-One Carbon 456 mountain bike, follow me to find out what i get up to...

mtbr member
    I think a lot of guys used to use Racer X's back in the day, Titus had the Titus/Chipolte team, guys used to use the Racer X 29 when it came out as well. Where I live I still see a few at local races here and there but most are on 29r's now.

Bike Addiction
    Havent raced mine yet either but will this month. Its been a great trail bike for the most part. Nerve racking on the rock gardens but a rocket on the single track.
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I raced mine from 2004 through 2012. It is a great bike and it was my "one" mt bike for everything. Not too stiff and not too soft, and I never wished the bike to behave any differently. The poor race results were soley due to the rider.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Re: Has anyone actually used a Racer X for racing?

I'll be racing mine this summer. I just got it a few weeks ago and it's on the trainer till the weather gets better and the trails open up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yes. I have a Racer X and Racer X Carbon, both I think are 2008 vintage. Bot the Alu as a complete bike and then saw the carbon frame on eBay (2yrs ago) and had to have it. Really love the bikes. Never ridden a 29er but have read all the reviews. At 22lbs, I figure I'd need to spend a lot to get a 29er to beat my Racer X Carbon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ononecarbon456 View Post
    That's what i thought.
    What did you think?
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thank for the reply's.

What do i think...i originally though due to lack of reply's the racer had the name but not the cred... but now i think its both, good job guys. Go forth and race and do well!!

mtbr member
    I raced mine as well. It was my favorite bike. I will miss my Racer X.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Aside from borrowing a 29er ht recently for a race, I only have my 08 racer x for racing. It's a little on the heavy side I suppose, but you ride/race what you have. I'm contemplating getting the carbon x as 95% of the parts would swap right over. I love it though, and hoping for a 27.5" version.

jms
    mtbr member

Frequently

I've endurance raced my RX29 fairly frequently over the last 5 years:

3 x Cascade Cream Puffs, 3 x 12 hours of Humboldt, 3 x 12 Hours of Weaverville, 3 x Whiskeytown 9 to 5, High Cascades 100, Tahoe Sierra 100, Boggs 8 Hour, 12 Hours of Temecula, etc., etc.
    Has anyone actually used a Racer X for racing?-hc10011mjba133-21-50-28.jpg
    It's still a front line endurance race bike with a Push Monarch RT3 rear shock and a [now] a 2013 Lefty XLR [Thanks Jake @ Project 321]. With DT 190/Edge wheels @ 24.75lbs and durable.
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have done a few duathalons and other various local races on the racer X. I will say that I could keep up with most everyone in those, but there were times where I wished I did not have the weight of the extra squish. Although there were also times where I was glad I had it when going through a more technical standing climb section. Always kept my rear tire planted well. But alas, it has gone to a new home, with an elated new owner. And I have gone SS and 29 only. She was an awesome bike though!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Independent Fabrications Steel Deluxe 29 SS
    Salsa El Mariachi Steel SS

Members who have read this thread: 1