Thread: Hanger Banger

mtbr member

Hanger Banger

I picked this up from John Henry Bikes in Vancouver BC, it is made by North Shore Billet, its called a Hanger Banger, its supposed to keep everything straight and square. I've been through two aluminum hangers without even crashing, went to the stainless one and have not had a problem, but I thought I'd give it a try and I will put an aluminum hanger back on as soon as I can pick one up. If you get one make sure you distinguish between x-9 and X0 because they are different.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    I picked this up from John Henry Bikes in Vancouver BC, it is made by North Shore Billet, its called a Hanger Banger, its supposed to keep everything straight and square. I've been through two aluminum hangers without even crashing, went to the stainless one and have not had a problem, but I thought I'd give it a try and I will put an aluminum hanger back on as soon as I can pick one up. If you get one make sure you distinguish between x-9 and X0 because they are different.

Craig... thanks for the heads up.

Any word on ease of removal and reinstallation of the rear wheel with the NSB thingy on?

Also, I see V series of Hayes rotors work well with Avid brakes...
    Check my Site

mtbr member

Not a Problem

Not a problem taking the rear wheel off, you just have to loosen up the nut end a little more than usual to get the dowel out of the rear der. The avid polygon rotors stink, I had them on my Trek and they pulsated horribly, when I bought my bike the guys at WrenchScience swapped them out for Hayes for no charge. I like the adjustability of the Avids especially the alignment of the caliper.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    Not a problem taking the rear wheel off, you just have to loosen up the nut end a little more than usual to get the dowel out of the rear der. The avid polygon rotors stink, I had them on my Trek and they pulsated horribly, when I bought my bike the guys at WrenchScience swapped them out for Hayes for no charge. I like the adjustability of the Avids especially the alignment of the caliper.

Thanks!!

Cool to know. Seems like I may get one of those gizmos. Better safe than sorry.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Looks like a bad idea to me, if you hit the rear mech instead of having the $20 dollar hanger bend, like it is designed to do, you put the force on your $200.00 hubs axle or worse the dropout itself.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by forceyoda
    Looks like a bad idea to me, if you hit the rear mech instead of having the $20 dollar hanger bend, like it is designed to do, you put the force on your $200.00 hubs axle or worse the dropout itself.
    Murphy's law for electrical engineering... "the circuit must be designed for it to protect the fuse"

I had a second thought about it and yeah, I want that little fuse (hanger) to work.

Besides... the Hanger Banger costs as much as a derr hanger... I've never broken a hanger, much less a RD (touch on wood), so I may rather get another hanger more, rather than the banger.
    Check my Site

mtbr member

Good Idea

I dont think it puts more stress on the hub because the hub and axle are securely bolted to the dropout. Shimano's Saint group has the rear Der axle mounted to provide more strength and I havent read or heard of any problems there

mtbr member
    The SAINT group was designed to withstand the force, that is why the rear mech is over 300 grams. But hey if you want to use it with your $250.00 XO derailleur go for it but I think it would be cheaper to replace the $20.00 REPLACEBLE derailleur hanger.

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Murphy's law for electrical engineering... "the circuit must be designed for it to protect the fuse"

I had a second thought about it and yeah, I want that little fuse (hanger) to work.

Besides... the Hanger Banger costs as much as a derr hanger... I've never broken a hanger, much less a RD (touch on wood), so I may rather get another hanger more, rather than the banger.

FYI, you size a fuse to protect the wire or what not that is up stream from your circuit. the short that occurred in your device is assumed to have killed it.

but i don't know where this protect the derailler myth came from in regards to the replaceable derailler hanger. its there to protect the frame. nothing sucks like having to retire your favorite frame because the hanger was ripped off or has been bent so many times that it has become too flexy.

mtbr member
    The purpose of a replaceable derailleur hanger is to be replaced; taking the force that would have caused damage to the derailleur or frame. Why do you think that it is made out of aluminum instead of steal or other materials? If you are unfortunate enough to have a non-replaceable hanger then maybe I could see some benefits of this dohooky but I would still take a break away bolt over it and attached to a bike with a replaceable hanger it is pointless.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Just purchased one of these and installed it. So far so good.

I have been through about 6 hangers in the past year, and none of the crashes would have caused any significant damage to the derailleur or the hub/skewer or anything like that. Hell every time I endo the bike ends up falling on my x9 and pushing the hanger inward ever so slightly. This is even with the higher quality hangers. That is one thing that sucks about SRAM is how far it sticks out.

My buddy lost a hanger due to a rock, resulting in the derailleur going into the spokes and him almost dying. He lost his cog set, chain, rear wheel, derailleur, and hanger (duh). This little device would have saved him about $300.

Hopefully it will pay off....or ruin my whole bike. One of the two!
    El Guapoooooooo

RHRF!
    I've been running the HB since 2006, on both my ML and my EG. No bent or broken hangers since!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)