Master of None

The Handsome One

DSCN2349SM.JPG

DSCN2356SM.JPG

DSCN2355SM.JPG

DSCN2352SM.JPG

Me: 195 lbs w/gear, 34" inseam, brown hair in need of trim, brown eyes, farmer tan

Bike:
    Weight 34.0 lbs
    2007 Titus El Guapo medium, black ano
    Manitou Nixon Platinum 145mm, 120 PSI, 5wt Silkolene Pro RSF, modded damper
    Fox Vanilla RC 8.5" x 2.5", 250 PSI, 10wt Silkolene Pro RSF, PUSHed, modded damper
    425 lb x 2.5" Titanium spring
    Avid Juicy 5 brakes with Hope 2-piece rotors, 200mm/180mm
    Syncros FR 10mm x 135mm T/A rear hub
    Syncros FR 20mm T/A front hub
    DT Swiss RWS 10mm rear axle
    DT Swiss EX 5.1d rims
    DT Swiss Revolution spokes
    Kenda Blue Groove 2.35" Stick-E front
    Kenda Nevegal 2.35" DTC rear
    Maxxis tubeless rim strips
    Gore Duke 4" seatpost
    WTB Laser V seat, ti rails
    Shimano M647 pedals
    Truvativ Stylo crankset, 32t
    E-13 bash ring
    Blackspire stinger guide with MRP wheel
    Shimano LX 9sp cassette, modded to 6sp 12-32
    SRAM x.9 shifter & rear derailleur
    Cane Creek S3 headset
    FSA FR-220 stem 45mm
    Titec HellBent carbon bar 680mm
    ODI Rogue lockon grips

Impressions:
    This is pretty much my dream bike. The handling is amazing, very confidence inspiring, and the suspension is better than I ever imagined. Climbing is very, very good with little bob. I will often stand and push a hard gear and the suspension does not move with the pedal strokes but it still remains compliant over rocks for maximum traction. The PUSH mods did add a small platform damper to the Vanilla RC, although it is very light. Dropping the fork down with the Infinite Travel makes climbing more comfortable.

The coil shock in the back made the suspension come alive! With the stock Pearl shock it blew through the mid travel, had too much compression damping, and would never get full travel.

I tested the rear suspension in both of the pivot locations with the coil shock. In the upper pivot the bike felt more firm and stable in the rear, felt like it was ready to take anything you can throw at it. In the lower pivot the rear suspension felt more active with a slightly smoother ride but was not as firm. I prefer the upper pivot location, although the difference was pretty slight.

I've filed down the edges of the plastic cable guides to save my knees. So far so good!

All in all a great bike, and I'm very pleased with the frame. Fit and finish is great, the black ano is great although I would have preferred laser etched logos. The geometry is perfect for me and the frame is quite stiff. Good job Titus! But please, ditch that shock.

Trophy Husband
    PL
    Unorthodox, but original build. Could shave some weight, but what is the point...function over form. I like it.

Why the cassette mods?
    What is static HA?
    What do you run for sag?
    You should really get a haircut...if not for you, for Mom.

edit: Nice lookin' bike.
    Extreme stationary biker.

Master of None
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    PL
    Unorthodox, but original build. Could shave some weight, but what is the point...function over form. I like it.

Why the cassette mods?
    Better chain line and I don't want the granularity of 9sp anyway. Often with 9sp I would shift two at a time.
    What is static HA?
    I measured it just for you, plum bob and tape measure. 67.8 degrees
    What do you run for sag?
    30% front & rear

Yeah I know, I'm starting to look like Shaggy.

Thanks for the compliment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    PL

Why the cassette mods?
    What is static HA?
    What do you run for sag?

Handsome indeed!.
    Enjoy

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    sweet!

congrats! do you have a short torso/arms? because you have a fairly long inseam for a medium.. just asking...

Master of None
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    sweet!

congrats! do you have a short torso/arms? because you have a fairly long inseam for a medium.. just asking...
    Thanks.
    I was thinking about the large.. but the GD would be a tight fit on there with less post needed and I like smaller bikes. I'm pretty normal proportion I guess, 6'1" in height. Ideal would be a 19" seat tube but the 18.25" is not too far off.

Weapon of Choice
    I would drop the seat a bit? Looks awfully high.

Master of None
    The seatpost is an optical illusion, possibly caused by the GoreDuke post creating a gravitational pull similar in principle to a black hole. But seriously, it just looks really long in that photo.

With the press of a button I can shift the axis of the earth's core thereby causing the seatpost to retract into itself. Then it'll be lower.

Veni Vidi Vici
    That is a great looking bike congrats

long standing member
    Nice, now that's a Guapo done up right. I bet the custom-tuned suspension is exactly what that bike needs (I'm loving the Pushed Vanilla RC on my RFX). Personally I'd probably probably put a little taller fork on there (36 Talas or similar) since I've gotten used to a slack HTA on my trail bike, and for some extra travel and on-the-fly travel reduction capability. Although I've heard good things about the plushness of the Nixon. I bet the medium frame with that short stem is pretty nimble on the singletrack. Cool stuff, have fun.

Master of None
    I would have gone with a 160mm fork (as Titus intended) but I found a smoking deal on the 145mm Nixon. I could take out a bit of the steerer spacers and it would slacken the HA a little bit.

The bar mounted travel adjust of the Manitou IT is probably the best setup I've seen so far. Stock, the rebound damping on the Nixon was waaay too slow, so I sped that up and also shimmed out the compression valve to reduce the high speed damping. The Manitou's are good for tinkerers like me but I'd have to say Fox is the best all around.

The bike is very flickable and fun; I find myself aiming for rocks to explode off the lip and get some airtime.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by presslab
    .... I find myself aiming for rocks to explode off the lip and get some airtime.
    I find my self exploding off tiny drops and hoping I land in a safe manner.

.... I could take out a bit of the steerer spacers and it would slacken the HA a little bit.
    how does this work ?~?

long standing member
    I could take out a bit of the steerer spacers and it would slacken the HA a little bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    how does this work ?~?
    I was wondering the same thing. I kept thinking to myself, maybe I'm missing something here: if the spacers come out, the stem/bars are lower but A2C is still the same; maybe he's gonna put spacer's under the head tube... no, that can't be it; ah, there are spacers in the fork itself that can make it taller...no that's not it. Hmmm...

Master of None
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    I find my self exploding off tiny drops and hoping I land in a safe manner.
    I love it when the landings just happen to be rock gardens. Whee!

how does this work ?~?
    Oh! I should have been clearer. If I put a 160mm fork on then this would apply:
    I could take out a bit of the steerer spacers and it would slacken the HA a little bit.

Master of None
    A couple more pics:

thats right living legend
    How'd I miss this thread? I must have seen the title, assumed it was about me, and spared myself the pain of reading all the flames.

That "might" be the best looking Guap I've seen yet.

mtbr member
    We have large and mediums in stock, come and get em

"Its All Good"
    Indeed a cool El G.... Enjoy

Yeah ha, my demo El G is here with me for the weekend. So will get some pictures etc.... Am not looking forward to the RS Pearl (not even 10% of a pearl necklace)
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    A couple more pics:

Hey is that the South Burma rock? I think that bike deserves a bigger rock.

I'll look for you and your nifty bike at Annadel.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

Master of None
    Yes indeedy that is the S. Burma rock. There is a 6 ft drop to flat in Howarth but I'm too weenie for that at the moment, know of anything a little smaller perhaps?

mtbr member
    Yes indeedy that is the S. Burma rock. There is a 6 ft drop to flat in Howarth but I'm too weenie for that at the moment, know of anything a little smaller perhaps?

Hmm, well, as your riding along Channel drive towards Richardson there's a rise on the left of the road that you ride up and sort of drop off. Not too big.

I'm currently in Jackson Hole. I just got back from riding at the ski resort. they mostly have cross-countryish trails, but there's a good beginner's skill park.

I wish I had my Motolite. I rented an Iron Horse that need to be put out to pasture
    Attached Images Attached Images
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车