mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Hammerhead 100X vs. 2008 Kona Four Supreme

Hi,

I am in the enviable position of having both a HH 100x frame and a Kona Four Supreme frame to build my next bike with. Both are in great shape, the Kona is new and the HH is being dropped off at the powdercoat shop tomorrow (all bearings/bushings are being replaced too) so it is basically new also. The Kona has an RP23 and the HH has a RL in very good (rebuilt) shape.

So, which do I use for my bike? Any feedback would be appreciated, I'd especially love to hear from anyone who has had a ride on both bikes.

thanks

mtbr member
    I can't speak to the Kona, but I'll chime in (again) about my 7 year love affair with my HH100x. I'd have a hard time believing that the Kona would come anywhere close to the HH/Titus as far as build quality, lateral stiffness, and longevity.

The HH is stiff, fast, and sharp as a tack. It is one of the best climbing bikes I have ever tried. It handles quite a bit of trail chunk without complaint but is firm in or out of the saddle when pedaling. All the pivots are tight as the day I bought it.

I just keep hanging new parts on this frame and it just keeps going and going.

Hairshirt Rider
    Another vote for the HH.

I owned two. The first one I sold, later regretted and then picked up a second. It is an extremely versatile bike.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I'd throw the bone to the HH for better pedalling and braking behavior, but it's just one guy's opinion.

Probably lots of happy people on the Kona though. Maybe they don't know better?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

HH coming back from powdercoat shop tomorrow

Well, tomorrow I'll have both frames side by side and next week I'll have a new Titus RacerX decal set to put on the gloss white powdercoated Hammerhead (I hope the purists out there don't curse me, but I love the new Titus graphics!) Maybe I'll post pix of both frames and let you guys vote...?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Another vote for the Hammerhead 100X. It's been a good friend for 5+ years and counting. And I just got mine back from the Spectrum Powderworks and it looks sweet. Stuck to the original name though...Titus headbadge going back on.

Can't speak for the Kona stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have been riding a hammerhead for 4 years now and love it. It's been a great bike. I broke my old bike twice (snapped both the front triange and the rear triangle) but the hammerhead just takes all of the abuse.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

SRR
    mtbr member
    How long did Spectrum take with your frame, and what did they charge?

My HH is going on five years now and I wouldn't trade it for a Kona or anything else. That's five hard years, year-round non-stop hammering in the Pacific N'Wet, and I didn't have to replace my main pivot bearings until a few months ago. Now that's exceptional hereabouts. And everything else remains as tight as this bike handles.

Still could use a face-lift though (never cared much for the anodized gray to begin with), although I'm not sure whether I'd be willing to part with it, even for a short time.