Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Guapo v4 wishlist - ideas

Updated to include ideas from everyone in this thread! (as of whenever my last post is below)

Code:
    >Idea					How many have asked?
    dropper post cable guides		1111
    improved cable routing (gear/brake)	1111
    Rear axle bolt through (any width)	1111
    ISCG tabs allow 2x chainset+device 	1111
    higher bb				111
    Rear axle 142mm				11
    Steeper seat angle			11

>Everything below has only been said once i think?
    slacker head angle			1
    different headset cup size		1
    more colour options			1
    colour matching on rocker/shock		1
    coil shock option			1
    make bb pivot accessible wih cranks on	1
    pm rear brake mount			1
    "moar travels"				1
    bottle cage bosses			1
    tolerance of seatube (too loose?)	1
    bearing caps				1
    my original post below

ok i haven't even built my EG v3 yet due to illness and other delays but already have ideas from discussions here and on STW. wondered what you'd all think?

1) move ISCG tabs inboard? to allow 2x chain devices
    2) add bottle cage bosses to downtube
    3) more shock mount positions? there are two holes but very close. also not much clearance for CCDBair
    4) more improvements to the cable routing? suggestions please!
    5) can you make the rocker finish match and supply white Monarch on white / raw frames.

things which won't happen:

i) bolt through rear end? apparently only for 29er, easier for 26 upgrades, not going to happen :/
    ii) geometry changes.. most people love the EG ride, if you don't get another bike

... your ideas here?

6) maybe supply some spare bushes and touch up paint with the painted frames? would be nice..

yeah good job Brant & Co., thanks for a great frame at a great price. i still don't think there's anything that can touch it for quality vs price.
    Last edited by Smiff; 09-01-2012 at 02:51 PM.

mtbr member
    I'd like to see:
    12-142 rear as an option
    ISCG tabs recessed
    Dropper post routing

mtbr member
    - slightly steeper seat angle
    - tapered steerer tube with ZS44 upper diameter and ZS56 lower diameter. You can ride all types of steerer tubes/headsets, have also the lower cups internal = more options.
    - cable routing for dropper posts would be highly appreciated!

personally I don't need 142x12 or Syntace X12. 135mm gives you more options with QR or with 10mm thru axle and it's stiff enough.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    ok so still a few more things could be done with cable routing.

what does an even bigger headtube do, let you run 1.5" forks? they're pretty rare right?

also from other thread sounds like CCDBA may not be best shock.. perhaps a Monarch+ option if On-one can source them at good price.. not sure not many people have all the shocks to try, something brant could maybe look into.

mtbr member
    Head tube cable routing like V1 with tabs. Higher bottom bracket. Anodized finishes like the brown of old or even custom colors for a price.

Really I just finished a day of runs down the mountain on v1 and then two runs on v3 and I'm compiling my thoughts over a few beers so ill get back to you. No WiFi in our room and the lobby sucks.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    I'm listening of course.

Let the good times roll.
    The current EG is already a pretty dialled bike, but I would not mind having:

-Rear thru axle. It doesn't matter if its 142 or 135mm. Maybe have replaceable dropouts like the GT Sanction/Force so riders can choose QR or TA.
    -Coil shock option would be nice
    -Switch the bottom bracket pivot access to the non-drive side so checking/tightening it doesn't require removing the cranks
    -Recess the ISCG tabs. Adding spacers is easy. Adjusting the other way...not so much.
    -Improve the cable routing. The top tube guides are too close to the shock mount.

U $ 4 O?

el G-1

Quote Originally Posted by brant View Post
    I'm listening of course.

I told Siri "give me el G w/ 142 and moar travels", two renderings came out

Off the back...
    1. Higher BB
    2. dropper post cable/hose routing
    3. Full-length gear housing routing
    4. Slacker head angle [currently rolling the 1.5 degree Angleset with a 140/180 TALAS to get it dialled in nicely]
    5. Steeper seat angle
    6. Higher BB

I can tweak/mod everything except for the BB height. If it doesn't get higher on the next iteration, I'll be forced to shop elsewhere.

U $ 4 O?
    Oh yeah...post mount brake tabs

mtbr member
    May 2008
    isn't the low bb a good part of why we love the ride though? pinkrobe sounds like you use it for pretty big DH?

sorry for neglecting the thread, i will edit my original post later and show in order of most requested or something.

been out on my EG today (only 3rd ride)... i'd give it a 9/10 for climbing and 6/10 for descending so far, weirdly - expectation was it'd descend great but slow me on climbs! - not so. but this is with a 150mm revelation and short headset.. probably a longer one of either would bring the descending up

mtbr member
    3. Full-length gear housing routing
    Doesn't v3 alread have that or is it just mine?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    added tally of everyone's suggestions to 1st post

it says something about loyalty to this bike that there are people who would seriously buy it again if some of these fixed

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    my vote on improvement over v3

1. dropper post cable guide regular + (possible for integrated post like reverb stealth and KS integral?)
    2. improve cable routing
    3. rear through axle

these are just minor feature improvement. i also hope to see titus making bigger tweak to the frame like longer rear travel or geometry tweak down the road on v5 or later

U $ 4 O?
    Quote Originally Posted by miniwisejosh View Post
    -Switch the bottom bracket pivot access to the non-drive side so checking/tightening it doesn't require removing the cranks
    might not need to remove cranks w/ little dremel action

make sure you put loctite on the threads

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiff View Post

been out on my EG today (only 3rd ride)... i'd give it a 9/10 for climbing and 6/10 for descending so far, weirdly - expectation was it'd descend great but slow me on climbs! - not so. but this is with a 150mm revelation and short headset.. probably a longer one of either would bring the descending up
    The descend is stable but bike feels retarded in response to steering?
    This frame gives a silly amount of traction and stability when properly set up so much so you can afford to push it a little more than usual... Off the saddle and move those hips around

if things are kicking up in the rear...check the sag. 30% is pretty much the magical number most agree on,

mtbr member
    I dont agree with Higher BB, if you have pedal strikes its better to increase pedal skills than making the bike less stable and accurate.

mtbr member
    I dont agree with Higher BB, if you have pedal strikes its better to increase pedal skills than making the bike less stable and accurate.
    That's your opinion. If I didn't pedal through some sections in places I ride I would get stopped dead. Lots of steep switch backs with tight bench cuts require higher bottom brackets.

It isn't all about skill some times. just good ol'e proper engineering for the trails you ride on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    That's your opinion. If I didn't pedal through some sections in places I ride I would get stopped dead. Lots of steep switch backs with tight bench cuts require higher bottom brackets.

It isn't all about skill some times. just good ol'e proper engineering for the trails you ride on.
    I see .. whats your fork travel?
    ( or better your AC and sag front and rear )
    Last edited by ocean_29; 09-01-2012 at 05:35 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by anvil_den View Post
    The descend is stable but bike feels retarded in response to steering?
    no it actually feels too quick with a 50mm stem (like it wants to dive/tuck in sometimes) and better but not right with 65mm..
    but you are right about the rear sag i think, at 110psi i got 25% felt ok, at 125 psi i got 20% and nowhere near full travel, felt worse.
    this is why i need longer fork/headset!

i'm not sure about all these suggestions about longer travel/higher bb etc.. aren't you making it a different bike? i'll include them still just so it's fair/balanced for brant.

im also getting pedal strikes btw, but i realise
    1) i need to adjust a bit, it's mostly my fault
    2) once i raise the front end by 10mm i'll raise the bb by about 5mm or something?
    3) i assume the low BB is essential part of the "surfy" feel of this bike?
    Last edited by Smiff; 09-01-2012 at 05:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiff View Post
    2) once i raise the front end by 10mm i'll raise the bb by about 5mm or something?
    yes, with simlpe euclidean geometry you know exaclty the rise, but raise with your hand the frond end to get a general picture...

mtbr member
    I've put in a couple of rides on my new EG and here are some suggestions for the next revision:

1. Slightly higher bb - I like a low bb, but I'm getting more pedal strikes than I'm used to (previous bike was a banshee spitfire which has a pretty low bb too), maybe just a slight raise

2. Some kind of rear through-axle setup - I don't really notice the rear being flexy, but I see this as more of a 'Keeping up with the Jone's' kind of thing

3. Some kind of fancy bearing caps - this is just an aesthetic thing, but I think that bearing caps (like on Giant's, Norco's, etc) give the bike a finished look.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    updated table again.
    you can see higher bb and dropper guides are moving up

you can add more wants, but please don't ask more than once for anything, makes this confusing.

btw only problem i have with cable routing is around the seattube during suspension travel, there's a lot of slack to deal with.
    not sure why you'd want your cables attached to the headtube? if you cross them under the shock, they naturally go nicely around the headtube, no rub, no noise

did no one else get a seattube that was a bit too big? long post about this on ST uk forum, basically i could get a wrap of clear tape about my post and insert it without snagging, but it doesn't seem to slip now so i'm not tooo bothered. this happened with Thomson and with a correctly plastic shimmed 27.2 so appears to be bike.
    Last edited by Smiff; 09-01-2012 at 06:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    Doesn't v3 alread have that or is it just mine?
    Mine has it too if understood correctly the request...
    "Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

mtbr member
    They have had full length gear housing runs since V2.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast