Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    the 36 year old grom

guapo review in MBA.

this month's issue of MBA has an el guapo review. its a nice review. they didn't go nuts about it.... but they liked it. check it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    this month's issue of MBA has an el guapo review. its a nice review. they didn't go nuts about it.... but they liked it. check it out.
    Dang... I just bought my share of MBA for this year last month issue... I should have waited but airports are boring.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    May 2005
    They didn't love the side cable routing, but other than that it was a very positive review.

Nice...

Where is my mind?
    Is anyone going to give the highlights?
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

- Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I can post the review in a few minutes... just a sec...

here it is

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclopod
    Is anyone going to give the highlights?
    the pearl has a very firm lockout. it makes a annoying "pst" noise. they recomend a coil shox for downhill parks. but they realy like how well the guapo pedals.

they like the geometry... they like the 36 talas fork a lot.

found out that 32.1 pounds is way to heavy for the MBA crew. and 8 inch brakes are too touchy....... music it too loud. kids hair is to long. skits are too short. and candy bars used to cost a nickle.

"El Whatever"
    Funny they mention that "it finally rounds up the Titus line"...

I have an issue from 2004 when they tried out a SuMo with XC build (light wheels, TALAS fork, triple ring, etc) and they said just that... that it was the bike to be pedaled uphill but also able to bomb down. It even entered the "perfect handling club" along with the Spesh Enduro S-Works and SC Heckler.

So, wasn't the SuMo in the lineup all these years?

As for the Formula brakes, I've read Spanish magazines and they also mention that the Formulas are rather powerful but not so good in modulation. It was not only for the 203mm ones. I'd say it's just a matter of tastes. Euros also appreciate a lot a light bike and rather stiff suspension performance, as opposed to American approach of "Cadillac-like" suspension.

Funy enough... MBA is in California and not Spain...
    Check my Site

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Funny they mention that "it finally rounds up the Titus line"...

I have an issue from 2004 when they tried out a SuMo with XC build (light wheels, TALAS fork, triple ring, etc) and they said just that... that it was the bike to be pedaled uphill but also able to bomb down. It even entered the "perfect handling club" along with the Spesh Enduro S-Works and SC Heckler.

So, wasn't the SuMo in the lineup all these years?

As for the Formula brakes, I've read Spanish magazines and they also mention that the Formulas are rather powerful but not so good in modulation. It was not only for the 203mm ones. I'd say it's just a matter of tastes. Euros also appreciate a lot a light bike and rather stiff suspension performance, as opposed to American approach of "Cadillac-like" suspension.

Funy enough... MBA is in California and not Spain...

That was an 05 issue, and they don't make that particular SuMo anymore.

Where is my mind?
    That has to be the most comprehensive bike test review I've ever seen from MBA. With few exceptions, if a component is off they will usually fault the whole bike (something I've thought to be unfair). This time they teased out every major component. Overall it looks very promising. Too bad I live in FL. That review really makes the bike sound sweet. Oh, what's with the characterization of the ML as a 4" travel bike.
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

- Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I don't know 28" bars are insanely wide

What a sensational gorgeous bike !~!

Constipated Pearl ... at least they recommended coil !~!

My Moto Lite only has 4 inches... I better measure again....

Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    I don't know 28" bars are insanely wide

What a sensational gorgeous bike !~!

Constipated Pearl ... at least they recommended coil !~!
    yeah 28 inchers are just fine

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    the pearl has a very firm lockout. it makes a annoying "pst" noise. they recomend a coil shox for downhill parks. but they realy like how well the guapo pedals.

they like the geometry... they like the 36 talas fork a lot.

found out that 32.1 pounds is way to heavy for the MBA crew. and 8 inch brakes are too touchy....... music it too loud. kids hair is to long. skits are too short. and candy bars used to cost a nickle.
    What shock are you going to put on ?~?

I never reized it had the "side" cable routing. I think I hate that?

Ti is addictive
    Well dang, the most awaited review still provides nothing to the reader to help in the decision making..........gonna be tough to pull buyers away from Nomads, RFX's, 6.6's, and Endorphins with a review like that (same old format for any favorable review by MBA...good uphill pedaler, stable/confidence inspiring going down, more words about pro's/cons about parts, and of course the Yes it is a pretty bike statement..........). So who's first amongst all you Titus fanatics to put your money where your heart is??????? We need a longterm tester now so that you can convince us fall purchasers if the EG is really all that.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    What shock are you going to put on ?~?

it'll get a 36 talas.....

I want the 08 DHX air. but i'll take what I can get, I want el guapo now, peacekeeper (nato) blue. I was hoping for gloss. but its a matte finish.

the DHXA 08 has a 2 position lever for the propedal. which will suit me perfectly....

you guys really need to get the online version of MBA. its like $14-$17 for a year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

you guys really need to get the online version of MBA. its like $14-$17 for a year.

Than what would I read on the toilet?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by orthorex
    They didn't love the side cable routing, but other than that it was a very positive review.

Nice...
    I don't think there's been a bike in history EVER to have cable routing a reviewer cared for.

banned
    it'll get a 36 talas.....

I want the 08 DHX air. but i'll take what I can get, I want el guapo now, peacekeeper (nato) blue. I was hoping for gloss. but its a matte finish.

the DHXA 08 has a 2 position lever for the propedal. which will suit me perfectly....

you guys really need to get the online version of MBA. its like $14-$17 for a year
    Too much. Mtbr is free.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Well dang, the most awaited review still provides nothing to the reader to help in the decision making..........gonna be tough to pull buyers away from Nomads, RFX's, 6.6's, and Endorphins with a review like that (same old format for any favorable review by MBA...good uphill pedaler, stable/confidence inspiring going down, more words about pro's/cons about parts, and of course the Yes it is a pretty bike statement..........). So who's first amongst all you Titus fanatics to put your money where your heart is??????? We need a longterm tester now so that you can convince us fall purchasers if the EG is really all that.
    I've got a review of it:

Doesn't excel at any one type of riding. Not as good a trail bike as the motolite. Not as adept at bombing downhills as the Supermoto. Might be good as a "one" bike, but will give up some performance on the extreme ends of the riding spectrum.

Oh yeah, the Pearl sucks.
    Extreme stationary biker.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I don't think there's been a bike in history EVER to have cable routing a reviewer cared for.

MBA Again... they have always criticized the cable routing on the Specialized bikes being below the BB...
    Check my Site

Goin' Down ain't bad!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    MBA Again... they have always criticized the cable routing on the Specialized bikes being below the BB...
    That's because Spec cabling does suck!!! My girlfriend's Epic shifting will stiffen up if it even thinks it's gonna get muddy. My buddy's 04 Enduro ghost shifts if the cabling is too tight. The fix for both of these is to run a continuous housing. It works but Spec should have thought that one out.

Same with Titus. I think the cable routing looks like an after thought. What, they couldn't have run it through the shock mount like Intense and others do. Wazzup wit dat???
    Dug-da-Goat

"Oh momma, could this really be the end? To be stuck outside of Mojo with the High Side Blues again!!!"

Goin' Down ain't bad!!!
    Geoooooo....gotta love you!!! Well you guys know my feelings....I'll keep the RacerX for pounding the climbs, but get a Foes FXR if you want a 32lb 6" go anywhere bike...single pivot and Curnutt, it's all you really need.
    Dug-da-Goat

"Oh momma, could this really be the end? To be stuck outside of Mojo with the High Side Blues again!!!"

Ti is addictive
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    I've got a review of it:

Doesn't excel at any one type of riding. Not as good a trail bike as the motolite. Not as adept at bombing downhills as the Supermoto. Might be good as a "one" bike, but will give up some performance on the extreme ends of the riding spectrum.

Oh yeah, the Pearl sucks.

LMAO..........you gotta go club somethin soon, too much pent up frustrations emanating from your aura.....but you read my mind, good bike for somone who wants a great one trick pony.....gonna be a tough sell for the pricepoint with lotsa stiff competition IMO.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Well dang, the most awaited review still provides nothing to the reader to help in the decision making..........gonna be tough to pull buyers away from Nomads, RFX's, 6.6's, and Endorphins with a review like that (same old format for any favorable review by MBA...good uphill pedaler, stable/confidence inspiring going down, more words about pro's/cons about parts, and of course the Yes it is a pretty bike statement..........).
    Agreed. The review is worthless. I honestly think they just cut n' paste different bike names into their reviews each month.
    The pix are nice. I really like the seatstay arch.
    Side cable routing would probably bother me too.
    The Pearl sucks - no surprise to most who have tried it.
    Formula brakes rock. Next time they should spray WD-40 on the rotors or go back to rim brakes.

DemoSlug...consider the Roco air. It's impressive and may shortly replace the DHX-c on my Terremoto.
    Last edited by The Squeaky Wheel; 05-23-2007 at 11:28 PM.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast