mtbr member

Got the Monarch!

Came UPS this morning. Threw it on, set the sag a 30% (150 psi. /185 rider weight) gave it a good driveway test and it feels great. Zero stiction! It has the HV can and the medium tune according to the specs on the shock. Unfortuneatly it wont see dirt till march. How do you like that cable rub mark? Didnt even notice it until it was too late!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Fembot in a Wet T-Shirt
    Jul 2010
    Nice! Was hoping I was going to get mine today, but nada. Maybe tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Nice . . .I will be interested in your ride reports. That might be my next updgrade.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I got a tracking #. Should be Tuesday.
    Last edited by doralswheels; 02-14-2011 at 10:30 PM.

searcher
    Good. I am also interested in your ride report.
    Do not worry about that rub mark. That is the only proof on your bike that you use it sometimes.
    Kovi

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

upper hole

Nice match. Didn' tknow they had orange.

Fembot in a Wet T-Shirt
    Jul 2010

Re: Upper hole

Hey yeah, just noticed that you have your shock carrier in the upper hole position. What are the pro's / con's to that?

mtbr member
    Not really sure, it felt better with the rp23 and my dhx 5 coil, made the rp23 more linear.

Fembot in a Wet T-Shirt
    Jul 2010

in the hizouse

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm still waiting for notification of postage, order on the website still says not-shipped. Maybe the shocks are being sent out first, then frame & shock packages, or US then international, not sure.

Runs off to check email in anticipation...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    Not really sure, it felt better with the rp23 and my dhx 5 coil, made the rp23 more linear.
    I thought it was the other way around. i.e. upper shock hole makes it more progressive. the word is that the upper hole was designed to be more suited to coil shocks (which are usually more linear than air shocks), to give them more of a ramp up near bottom out.

Many use their air shocks in the upper hole to get even more of a ramp up. Given that modern air shocks are tending more to the high volume air cans with a more linear spring rate than past air shocks, this kinda makes sense.

mtbr member

Never really got a clear answer

Not sure of the differences between the 2 mounting holes, I know its beend discussed on the forums but we never got an official answer. The 2010 RP23 HV was so wrong for the EG. I was trying all kinds of different shimming volumes (plastic in the can), I ran the coil off my Knolly on a trip to Downieville and put the rocker in the upper hole, when I put the RP 23 back on I thought I would give that a try and it felt much better so it stayed there. I will put it back in the lower hole before I start riding it in a few weeks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Try them both

Quote Originally Posted by sclyde2
    I thought it was the other way around. i.e. upper shock hole makes it more progressive. the word is that the upper hole was designed to be more suited to coil shocks (which are usually more linear than air shocks), to give them more of a ramp up near bottom out.

Many use their air shocks in the upper hole to get even more of a ramp up. Given that modern air shocks are tending more to the high volume air cans with a more linear spring rate than past air shocks, this kinda makes sense.
    W/ my RP23 HV BV setup

Top extra boost, stiffer

Bottom plusher at higher speed

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If you are worried about the rub mark, just use nail polish. Comes in every color immaginable for touch up.
    Because, one is never enough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    It's here. My shock came today. Thanks go out to Peter at Titus for his customer service help. Thank you Peter. You are the one. I was so happy that i placed a spare parts order for over $500 of spare parts. Bolt kits in 2 different colors, 2 hangers, 1 rear swing link, and 1 rear chain stay bolt kit. Thanks again Peter. Look out carbon FTM. Your are in for a shock tonight!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nzhumpy
    Runs off to check email in anticipation...

Nope, still waiting (bushings now), and need it even quicker now seeing as I found a crack in my 29ers seat post/ top tube junction last night.
    Last edited by nzhumpy; 02-16-2011 at 03:01 PM.

mtbr member
    So has anyone got any miles on this shock yet? They are really cheap compared to the other models I was looking at. Also, what do you guys think of the "Plus" model of the monarch rt3 with the piggy back resy? Any added benifits?
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member

Street time

I've only got some time on my street and riding around the park. The RT3 feels WAY better then the RP23. Much more mid stroke support, much more progressive, virtually zero stiction. The 3 settings also make a marked difference in the platform. Nobody knows about reliability at this point but for $223 from Titus with reducers, you cant really compare to the +$400 RP 23. I dont think anybody has time on the Plus version yet, it just became available last week I believe.

mtbr member
    Subscribing to this thread... After mucking around with the Pearl 3.1 to find a balance between travel and harshness, I'm looking for alternatives.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Shipping # received, delivered next Wed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've only got some time on my street and riding around the park. The RT3 feels WAY better then the RP23. Much more mid stroke support, much more progressive, virtually zero stiction. The 3 settings also make a marked difference in the platform. Nobody knows about reliability at this point but for $223 from Titus with reducers, you cant really compare to the +$400 RP 23. I dont think anybody has time on the Plus version yet, it just became available last week I believe.

I think I am going to take the plunge and buy one. So the price includes the shock and the reducers?

mtbr member
    Yep. Shock w/ reducers installed, no pump though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yep. Shock w/ reducers installed, no pump though.

Thaks craigstr - I just ordered it. I will report back once I receive it and get a couple of rides on it.

mtbr member
    So is this the same shock Titus is offering on the $999 + $223 for shock El Guapo close outs? Or is that the "+" version?

mtbr member
    The only shock they show is the rt3, not the rt3 "plus"

Was looking into that one myself but they aren't available yet through our distributers at the shop.

BTW, the price is that titus is selling these for is really really good after looking at what I'd pay for it at our shop.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"