mtbr member

Good job! Geax Lobo Loco and Sturdy testing.

Been trying out some new tires on the Motolite lately.

First tried out the 2.3 Lobo Loco on a trip to Gooseberry/Oregon/Moab/ and back to AZ.
    I really like this tire. It sealed up well ghetto tubeless, and has a tough sidewall. So far have ridden it at Gooseberry Mesa, a few rides in Oregon, 2 rides in Moab including "The Whole Enchilada", and several rides here in Tucson Mountain Park.

It is wearing very well so far!! It looks like it only has a couple rides on it. It is a slightly round profile tire. It seems to not have any dead spots when cornering. Some tires seem to have a spot where they slide, then grip again when you get over further. These seem predictable all the way through a corner. The sidewalls are holding up well to some pretty serious abuse. They are probably closer to a 2.2 size. Not sure how they would do on the rear, but I think they would work fine. Probably they would wear faster on the back. All in all, they compare very well to the Rampages I was using. I think they have about the same traction, but better wear. They also roll quite well. Using 27psi.

Next I put on the 2.1 Sturdy on the rear also ghetto tubeless.28psi. These things climb really well. I cleaned some climbs today that really surprised me. The first ride on them, I did not know that my shock had sprung a leak, and I was blaming the tires. I was spinning out, and the front was lifting and wandering, and I was having to go back and redo hills that I normally clean. I was all over the place. About the time I was cussing the tire, I look down and see that I am using up about 2/3 of my shock travel just sitting on the bike. So off home I limp to put in the seal kit that I luckily had already ordered.

Next ride with the proper shock pressure was a different ballgame. The tire got traction up everything really well. I cleaned some hills that I had not made before. They were very impressive!! They are also wearing really well too. I would like to try the 2.25 size now. I went with the 2.1 because some said the 2.25 is a tight squeeze on the Motolite, but I have 10mm of clearance above the 2.1, so I think it would fit. I wonder how the 2.25 would do on the front?

All in all, I am very pleased with both tires. They seal up well, have tough sidewalls, and good wear characteristics, along with good traction. I would not hesitate to buy them again.

mtbr member

Dont make me say it...

oh well
    Attached Images Attached Images

"El Whatever"
    I've been on Sturdy's on my Switchblade... Nice tyres and cheap. Certainly not the best tyres out there but they won't break the bank and just work.

I used the 2.25" as a rear. They measure like a TALL 2.1". In most conditions they have a nice grip, they're predictable and feel like an inch more of travel, but they're plain scary over loose rocks. Not enough edges for biting in. Also, the rather hard compound make them feel a bit loose over wet.

I've been trying to reuse mine and sipe a few more edges for better overall grip. For the price you can't go wrong, though. I think you'd be better off with the Lobo Loco up front.

Dulyebr is also a huge fan of Geax and has used many of them... wait for him to chime in.

My version was the wire bead, cheapo one... I can't remember the Geax designation for this version.

Pics... as requested or I would have to put this thread down.

Dimensions...

Clearance in old style XC lowers....

Mounted on rim... a bit loose of a fit.

Profile...

Climbing...

Check my Site

ಠ_ಠ
    Geax Lobo Loco (TnT version) 2.3 is my favorite tire. It seems to do everything well. traction, wear, weight, tuff sidewalls, cornering predictability, braking, rolling resistance... best all mountain tire ever!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    oh well
    I kinda figured that there are pictures of these tires all over the net by just doing a search. But I understand how that would waste valuable MTBR posting time.

Unless you are wanting to see how the fit is in the Motolite frame, and how they are looking "wear wise" with the rides I have put on them. In that case, I will get a couple pics on here so you can see how well they are wearing, and how the clearance is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Eddie Jones would be so proud!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Eddie Jones would be so proud!
    I did notice in my forum searches for tires that he has a thing for Geax just a little.

He won't try to stalk me or anything now will he?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Only if you keep singing praises of the Sturdy. That was his realm. I used to use Geax almost exclusively and really liked the Barro as a fast midwest/hardpack tire. I have a few buddies who love the Lobo Loco. In Colorado, I don't like them as much and I wish they would do better than the Suguaro in the 29er size.

ಠ_ಠ
    the barro is another great tire.