mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Gary Fishers new "Superfly 100" 29er

As much as I dislike Trek and everything assosiated with them, I have to give credit where credit is due. The new Gary Fisher 29er the "Superfly 100" looks pretty nice. Check out the Velonews article on the bike.

http://www.velonews.com/article/9261...her-s-new-full

Sopwithcamel

Ultimated Outsider
    Looks like an X.
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by sopwithcamel
    The new Gary Fisher 29er the "Superfly 100" looks pretty nice.

Yeah....too bad it is lame.
    Extreme stationary biker.

screamer
    Hey, this is partly observation, party *****ing ... but why on earth do you keep posting info about other bikes on the Titus forum? It's like sand in my sandwich, nails on chalkboard ... ie: strangely annoying.

OK... that's my OCD rant for the day...

Edit: And I'm also vaguely annoyed to note that MTBR's censor-bot has prudishly changed my "B.I.T.C.H" to a bunch of stars. WTF? OK.... now I really need a drink (long day, what can I say?)!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    budgie...... It's interesting to see what other manufacters are doing. This way by the time interbike rolls around Titus can incorprate all the good ideas into the 2010 models. This was when you bye you next Titus it will that much faster. For instance it looks the mountain bike industry is going to adopt the BB90 standard and zero stack headset or integrated headsets are going to become the norm.

Sopwithcamel

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Its Ugly

I also think its a weird thing to post on a Titus forum, but I guess its there to make me glad I have a Racer X and did not end up on that awful thing.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by sopwithcamel
    budgie...... It's interesting to see what other manufacters are doing. This way by the time interbike rolls around Titus can incorprate all the good ideas into the 2010 models. This was when you bye you next Titus it will that much faster. For instance it looks the mountain bike industry is going to adopt the BB90 standard and zero stack headset or integrated headsets are going to become the norm.

Sopwithcamel
    Carbon is not the best of ideas on a MTB, but what do I know?

Zero Stack is a good idea that most manufacturers have been slow to catch on. It doesn't help to the sales of headsets either, but I like Zero Stacks. The cheapo one on my Giant Warps (yeah, I had two) was as reliable as my CK is. Actually, the CK clicked on a fork, but the ZS didn't.

As for the BB90/30 or whatever, it's a good idea, though I don't know how I feel to have pressed part in there. I prefer the threaded one but in an oversize format that would reduce the stance and keep the bearings inside the frame, away from the elements and with an adequate chainline.

IMHO, one of the problems of the bike industry is the "innovation" as opposed to refinement. Every year you get obsolete "standards" and "new and better" solutions, sometimes to problems that didn't exist. This is very expensive and companies only pass the cost to us consumers. Why not more money into actually promoting the sport instead of R&D? That would actually help them to better cost the bikes and sell more units. No more retooling every year.

Tell you what... someone's gotta come up with a system that is cheap, reliable, and lighter than a standard drivetrain. Not more speeds or more complication... just better than actual drivetrains.

Another field for improvement is the wheels... many good ideas, but none seem to beat the good ole 3X steel spoked wheel. Why not offset spoke holes are not more the norm when they produce a more balanced wheel???

And Titus has enough carbon already... too much to my personal taste, but again, that has some pros and cons and market seems to like carbon bikes.
    Check my Site

what's that rattle?
    I enjoy comparing the Titus lineup to the "latest and greatest" from the big brands. I'm not sure if it has any influence on Titus' 2010 models but it can at least make for some interesting conversation.

This bike is an anomaly for me: I'm usually against pressing headset and BB bearings directly into frames but as this thing seems even more disposable than most Trek products I say go for it!

As for the tapered steerer concept on XC bikes I'd like to see some stiffness to weight numbers. Maybe it makes sense for 6" bikes trying to be lighter than 30lb but I didn't realize the standard steerer and headtube was a problem for racers.

mtbr member
    Wait till people see the new Specialized Enduro/stumpjumpers. Supposedly, the shock moves to the bottom of the top tube and hence will look a lot like the ML/FTM.

Ultimated Outsider
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus
    Wait till people see the new Specialized Enduro/stumpjumpers. Supposedly, the shock moves to the bottom of the top tube and hence will look a lot like the ML/FTM.
    It seems like everyone is doing that, while Titus has keep the same basic design of the X/FTM/ML.
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew
    I wonder how many FTM's and X's are posted in other forums.

The safest way to do it is to ask for a comparison.

Superfly vs Racer X 29er vs Motobecane-which to buy?

Then it's a free for all food fight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Here are a few points on the new BB90/BB95 Standard: (Which is a standard Trek is pushing which is compatible with Shimano's Hollowtec II integrated cranks.

Lance Armstrong’s Trek Top Fuel 9.8 with BB90 and 5mm of spacers to take out the slack.

1) I was just looking at the Park Tools website looking at their new tools for BB30 and BB90 and the removal and of installation of the bearings looks really easy. Check it out!

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=162

2) Manufactures are adopting the new standard because it means they don't have to thread the bottom bracket, which means less rejected frames by their quality control departments. Its also lighter as they no longer need an aluminum insert for the threaded bottom bracket cups.

3) BB90 is Trek's Campy- (and Shimano-, SRAM-, FSA-) compatible Madone bottom bracket. The shell is 90mm wide by 37mm ID. 37mm OD bearings (the same bearings as inside an external-bearing cup) insert directly into the carbon frame and accept integrated-spindle cranks. BB95 is the MTB version of BB90 with a 95mm wide shell on the 2008 Trek Top Fuel and Fuel EX carbon.

4) According to Trek: (And yes I realize that Titus uses a 73 MM Bottom Bracket shell so the improvements in torsional stiffness will not be as large, but their will still be some improvements because of the larger diameter bottom bracket shell and 17MM longer shell.)

Quote: Nearly all other frame designs on the road are restricted by the need to stay within the industry standard 68mm bottom bracket shell width. Not so with the all-new Madone, which uses Net Molding carbon technology and Precision Fit Sockets™ to place the bottom bracket bearings directly in the frame itself. The result is an exclusive 90mm wide bottom bracket that provides a 48% increase in lateral down tube stiffness at the bottom bracket. Designed to accept most two-piece crank designs from Shimano, Bontrager, SRAM, FSA, and Campagnolo without affecting the q-factor, the integrated bottom bracket design saves 40 grams compared to traditional designs.

5) Switching over to the new standard will be a relatively easy for Titus because they just have to spec a different bottom bracket shell when they have Sapa fabricate their frames. If you have never seen the Sapa website check it out.

http://www.sapagroup.com/us/Company-...a-Bike-Frames/

6) It is also likely that Titus won't adopt the new BB90 standard till 2011 which will allow the rest of the bicycle industry to adopt the standard at the same time, making it easier for cyclists to find bearings and cranks that fit the new standard.

Sopwithcamel