mtbr member
    Nov 2005

FunBolts on RX anyone use them?

I'm firming up my 06 RX, new 11 Fox RLC 15mm CK Thru up front, and was wondering if anyone has tried CK FunBolts on their RX to stiffen up the rear? I'll race it, but, I'm not overly concerned of the difficulty of changing out flats; I'm 'light' on the bike and weight <65kg (in 13 years of racing I've had 2 flats, "knock on wood").

Thanks

NOT Team Sanchez
    I don't own an RX, but this question can be addressed with inductive logic: fun bolts stiffen up the rear end of my buddies RFX, so they should stiffen up any 135mm spaced rear end. If fun bolts are stiffer than 9mm qr hubs, then 10mm thru axles are even stiffer....I run the 10mm thru, it's awesome!
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Just be careful not to make the rear end to rigid as the bike stresses will move to the next weakest point. It's actually better for each component to abosrb a little bit of stress then one component to absorb all of it and fail. Think of it as a series of elastic bands. If you were to make all the elastic bands rigid except for the last one and then were to apply a lot stress to the series of rubber bands guess what happens? Thats right, you get the "ouch" as the last rubber band breaks and smacks your hand.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I had (have?) fun-bolts on a Titus Quasi-Moto for seven years. That was NOT the cause of the frame wearing out. Mileage and a summer of gravity-riding was.

I'd expect the increased lateral rigidity to be beneficial as it would keep the suspension moving in the plane it was designed to, reducing slop/wear on the other parts of the system.

It's all theoretical though, IMO.

Put on the FB and ride the bike and see if you like the feel.

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Yes.... on my ML

A bit late to the conversation, but I run them on my 2005 ML.

Definately makes the rear end more stable in hard corners. When deep into the corners the only thing I can now detect is wheel flex. Before the funbolts, I was getting an abrupt oversteer as I'd roll deeper into a turn which was clearly differental frame flex at the rear axle. The bike was never sloppy in the corners, but the funbolts make the corners that much more fun.

Additionally, have not noticed increased wear elsewhere on the bike.

Regards

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich.