Thread: FTM up close

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

FTM up close

Finally, the new FTM gets here.
    These are my first photos of the FTM since Las Vegas.

Will build one up today or tomorrow if I have time.

First thing you notice are the beautiful graphics. No stickers anywhere on the aluminum, just a new process that makes them part of the finish. Hallelujah! No more sticker issues.

And the new Light Rail System. Tire/mud clearance no longer a concern. One piece carbon rocker, asymmetrical chainstays.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bikerbob.com; 02-05-2009 at 08:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Wow!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    ...hot....

offroader
    Dec 2008
    So what's the difference between the FTM and the Motolite?

I don't like the name FTM - "For the Mountain?"

edit: one thing I noticed is the rear rocker is not adjustable. Dedicated Trail bike?

I don't really like the bent tubes either.. reminds me of the Iron Horse did to the MKIII

mtbr member
    Schwinnnnnnng Baby! Yeah, that is a thing of beauty. Can't wait to see that Ti version - Ortho!??????
    "You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava
    So what's the difference between the FTM and the Motolite?
    Been wondering that myself to tell you the truth. American made frame for one. Light rail system will shed some weight and moving the seat stay's lateral support in front of the seat tube providing much needed improvement in rear tire clearance. I think the frame saves a few grams shaved from somewhere, not sure. Add them all up, and I can't find compelling enough reason to upgrade my 07 MLII.

Personally I find the new down tube shape makes the FTM one sexy mama. Sort of an odd fit in the line up though. I wonder if Titus will drop the ML altogether, making the Racer X your choice for XC and racing, the FTM a dedicated trail bike, and the El Guapo your goto stead for All Mountain. Makes sense to me, seems like a lot of overlap b/t ML and FTM.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Full Tilt Moto

Although it isn't anywhere on the frame, it stands for Full Tilt Moto.

As for differences, the only two things I see that are the same as the Motolite are the RP23 shock and the derailleur hanger.

Dedicated 5" rear travel, 30.9 seatpost, completely new front triangle, completely new rear triangle, new finish and graphics, lighter weight, stiffer, with similar geometry.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    I like everything you just said except the name.. I like the idea of a bigger seatpost, I always thought the motolite post looked too thin. What's that I saw in the pictures? The Rear Derailleur hanger is positioned inside and up? is that just the way they ship it? With the redesigned rear triangle I assume the bike can be set up as 650b? I guess I could get over the curved tubes.. maybe

mtbr member
    Bob
    Nice shots.
    Not trying to start a war but the chain stays look skinny?.
    Also the seat stays have no bridge, similar to my 2006 575.
    The ML was a steaf in the rear bike. How's the FTM?.
    I am realy trying to be constractive

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Stiffer in the rear

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty
    Bob
    Nice shots.
    Not trying to start a war but the chain stays look skinny?.
    Also the seat stays have no bridge, similar to my 2006 575.
    The ML was a steaf in the rear bike. How's the FTM?.
    I am realy trying to be constractive
    The chainstays and seatstays are trimmed down. And about 100g lighter than the ML rear triangle.

I wanted to do some homemade testing, but the engineers have done their homework.
    According to Titus:

Designs were optimized through extensive FEA analysis and simulated load testing
     The new rear end boasts a new one-piece carbon fiber rocker that adds a ton of stiffness
     Add to that a superlight one-piece carbon upper and you have a rear end that rides like you’re on a rail.
     Taking a cue from the El Guapo, the increased stiffness in the rear end is a direct result of the carbon yoke that wraps in front of the seatube and the molded one-piece carbon swing-link which ensures rock-solid attachment of all the suspension elements. Additional tire and mud clearance was achieved by eliminating the intermediary bridge that was on the old swingarm uppers.
     Our engineers were able to make minor tweaks to the main pivot, the rear drop-outs and the shock tabs to squeeze out a few millimeters of additional travel.
     Lastly, we’ve increased stiffness in the lowers as well by creating an asymmetrical, hydro-formed chainstay that is builds upon the ultra stiff swing-arms that Titus is known for, while shaving weight from previous versions.

"El Whatever"
    Bob... Sorry but that's an ugly carpet..

Also, it looks like the main pivot pin is new, right?? Looks more burly than the previous, at least thicker walls.

Looks nicer than the I-Bike mules... The welds look cleaner too.
    Check my Site

mtbr member

hasn't the travel increased as well?

from 127mm to 135mm I thought I read. Not a huge increase bu its something...
    Never play leap-frog with a unicorn!

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Sharp eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Bob... Sorry but that's an ugly carpet..

Also, it looks like the main pivot pin is new, right?? Looks more burly than the previous, at least thicker walls.

Looks nicer than the I-Bike mules... The welds look cleaner too.
    My dog likes that carpet. I won't tell him what you wrote.

Takes an engineer like you to notice the main pivot. I had to look twice in person to see any differences. HL bolts are new also.

Welds are nice all over. Thanks SAPA.

The cable stops are in different positions. Should be interesting to figure out the new routing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerbob.com
    The chainstays and seatstays are trimmed down. And about 100g lighter than the ML rear triangle.

I wanted to do some homemade testing, but the engineers have done their homework.
    According to Titus:

Designs were optimized through extensive FEA analysis and simulated load testing
     The new rear end boasts a new one-piece carbon fiber rocker that adds a ton of stiffness
     Add to that a superlight one-piece carbon upper and you have a rear end that rides like you’re on a rail.
     Taking a cue from the El Guapo, the increased stiffness in the rear end is a direct result of the carbon yoke that wraps in front of the seatube and the molded one-piece carbon swing-link which ensures rock-solid attachment of all the suspension elements. Additional tire and mud clearance was achieved by eliminating the intermediary bridge that was on the old swingarm uppers.
     Our engineers were able to make minor tweaks to the main pivot, the rear drop-outs and the shock tabs to squeeze out a few millimeters of additional travel.
     Lastly, we’ve increased stiffness in the lowers as well by creating an asymmetrical, hydro-formed chainstay that is builds upon the ultra stiff swing-arms that Titus is known for, while shaving weight from previous versions.
    Thanks for the clarifications. Hope it holds to it's promise.
    Cheers
    GB

"El Whatever"
    My dog likes that carpet. I won't tell him what you wrote.

Takes an engineer like you to notice the main pivot. I had to look twice in person to see any differences. HL bolts are new also.

Welds are nice all over. Thanks SAPA.

The cable stops are in different positions. Should be interesting to figure out the new routing.
    I know you're itching to build it, if you haven't build it already, but what about throwing that puppy on the scale??

Just to please the WW crowd...
    Check my Site

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Mainly price and looks at this point.....

Quote Originally Posted by ebeer
    seems like a lot of overlap b/t ML and FTM.
    At this point, price and looks are the main differences. Without any performance comparisons between the ML and the FTM it's hard to understand meaningful differences other than price and a new look.

If the FTM isn't wildly different in performance vs. the ML then what's the point of the new FTM??? We need an honest review of the new FTM compared against the ML. And sooner the better..... for those of us looking for a new ride.

I'm not convinced anyone will notice the 8 mm increase in travel, so it's my hope that the tweeked geometry will make for a more stable front end when climbng the steeps.

Anyway, I speculate If they decide to keep the ML around it will be because of the lower price point. Similar performance in a cheaper package (no customs or Ti).

Regards,

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    looking good indeed.....thanks for the pics, Bob!

mtbr member

Wow

Yeah that thing rocks! Damn not another lust object please.

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by EndUser
    If the FTM isn't wildly different in performance vs. the ML then what's the point of the new FTM??? We need an honest review of the new FTM compared against the ML. And sooner the better..... for those of us looking for a new ride.
    EndUser
    Look at it this way, two cars, Toyota Camry and LEXUS ES350. Two cars, two same powertrains, different looks. It's not like ES beats the Camry hands down when it comes to performance....

Lexus comes with nicer looking interior, and more bling. Sure it comes with nav system, and functional goodies, but are two cars that much different?
    "Prison sports are really fun. I get used as a frisbee, a dartboard, and a second base!" - Kneemoi

Trophy Husband

According to Titus:

Looks to me that the rear pivot is in a slightly different position than the ML, but that could just be an optical delusion.
    Extreme stationary biker.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Care for an orange, anyone?

I was getting set to build up the black ano FTM when this orange ano showed up.

You know me-I like to do a few color accents here and there.
    Easier to do with black than orange.

Maybe blue hubs/nipples/headset would work with it. Hmmm.....

Aha!! I'll do one in large and one in medium.

And in a few weeks, the trails might be dry enough for some actual riding.

By then the white frames may have arrived. I really like white, too. White with gold.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    And in a few weeks, the trails might be dry enough for some actual riding.
    I'll pay the freight and you can send it to me for a "little test" after it's built-up. No snow here... And I'll do the ML<>FTM thing.

Love the orange.

mtbr member
    At this point, price and looks are the main differences. Without any performance comparisons between the ML and the FTM it's hard to understand meaningful differences other than price and a new look.

I'm not convinced anyone will notice the 8 mm increase in travel, so it's my hope that the tweeked geometry will make for a more stable front end when climbng the steeps.

Anyway, I speculate If they decide to keep the ML around it will be because of the lower price point. Similar performance in a cheaper package (no customs or Ti).

Regards,

EndUser
    The FTM is an evolution of the ML. The FTM looks to be stronger and stiffer. The whole thing seems beefed up. The rear seems to be lighter but I bet it is still stiff as ever.

Add in a slight geometry change and I bet it climbs better than the ML in 140 mm mode. I almost look at the FTM as a bike between the ML and the EG.

I do think the ML will be gone in a year or two.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Can someone tell me what's up with the curved tubes? Do they do something or are they strictly for aesthetics?

searcher
    Simply beautiful. Period.
    Kovi

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Orange is the new ti

Quote Originally Posted by orthorex
    I'll pay the freight and you can send it to me for a "little test" after it's built-up. No snow here... And I'll do the ML<>FTM thing.

Love the orange.
    Better yet, I'll send you this large orange and you send me your old large ti frame.
    Seriously.
    Make Dom jealous for a change. He seems to like orange.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Better yet, I'll send you this large orange and you send me your old large ti frame.
    Seriously.
    Make Dom jealous for a change. He seems to like orange.

I have a problem with Ti MTB's. It doesn't make much sense.

I'll just wait.

Dom's next step should be a YZF450F. An FTM couldn't get him to his mailbox at this point.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    As somebody pointed out in another thread, the Motolite has adjustable rear wheel travel. Add a front fork with adjustable travel, and you basically have two bikes in one. Lower the suspension travel and you have more of an XC type bike, raise the travel on the rear end and fork and you've got yourself a do-it-all trail bike. I sorta like that!!.

Wonder why Titus dropped the adjustable rear travel on the FTM?

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by GotMojo?
    As somebody pointed out in another thread, the Motolite has adjustable rear wheel travel. Add a front fork with adjustable travel, and you basically have two bikes in one. Lower the suspension travel and you have more of an XC type bike, raise the travel on the rear end and fork and you've got yourself a do-it-all trail bike. I sorta like that!!.

Wonder why Titus dropped the adjustable rear travel on the FTM?
    Most likely, nobody was using the 4" mode. The ML peddaled pretty well on 5", so it was no use to really limit the travel. The geometry stayed the same in 4" or 5". I only tried the 4" on one or two outings, then it stayed in 5" forever.

mtbr member

That is all he needs

Dom's next step should be a YZF450F. An FTM couldn't get him to his mailbox at this point.[/QUOTE]

He would surely hurt himself on the YZF, besides he should get the new RMX or CR, they are fuel injected now, the YZF is still carburated. If he is in to orange, he could get a KTM.

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Let the reviews....

Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus
    The FTM is an evolution of the ML. The FTM looks to be stronger and stiffer. The whole thing seems beefed up. The rear seems to be lighter but I bet it is still stiff as ever.

Add in a slight geometry change and I bet it climbs better than the ML in 140 mm mode. I almost look at the FTM as a bike between the ML and the EG.

I do think the ML will be gone in a year or two.
    Let the reviews speak to this and not speculate too much. I have no Idea if this is an evolution nor do you since they are so similar in so many ways. We need some objective comparative reviews.

I digress, but man.... it would have been nice if Titus had at least one FTM built up for the IBIKE dirt demo.

Who's signing up for early adoption??

Regards,

EndUser

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    Looks to me that the rear pivot is in a slightly different position than the ML, but that could just be an optical delusion.
    You may pretty much be drunk all the time, but you're right... the pivots are positioned slightly different. The main one and also the HL ones... they are more in line of the likes of the ones on the Chumba and Lapierre.

I can't remember quite well now (maybe because I'm sober), but when the Giant NRS was all the rage, there was somewhere a lengthy and geeky explanation to lower the position of the HL relative to the rear wheel axle but the short explanation is it pedals better while still being sensitive and active.

Before you hit me, the NRS was not active because it used zero sag. It bobbed like crazy when it had any sag but then the linkage behaved more like an ICT than a "true HL" like the ML/FTM.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Beautiful bikes! Thanks Bob, for the pics.
    Could somebody explain to me why asymetrical chainstays are considered an improvement over the old ML design?
    Thanks, CK

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Regards,

EndUser
    Agreed, I hope they keep the ML around. In these ruf economic times, I think a company like Titus needs some more affordable options. I'm not quite ready to drop $2300 on a frame. I'd rather spend $1700 on an ML frame and put that $600 price difference towards a quality fork or wheelset. I'm just an average rider, so I wonder if I'd notice much of a difference between an ML and FTM.

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade K
    Beautiful bikes! Thanks Bob, for the pics.
    Could somebody explain to me why asymetrical chainstays are considered an improvement over the old ML design?
    Thanks, CK

IIRC in a over simplified way, since the NDS chainstay can go in a straight line from the main pivot it is stronger/stiffer than a "curved" stay (like the one on the DS to clear the chain, FD, etc)

offroader
    Dec 2008
    So the curved tubes are cosmetic? Can someone answer me? edit: I guess they are..

Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava
    So the curved tubes are cosmetic? Can someone answer me?

IMO it only partially cosmetic (kind of a trend nowadays), but it also allows to provide additional clearance in certain sections, for instance additional standover clearance or to avoid that the dials and crown on the fork hit the downtube....

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Almost finished

Just have a few more things to finish up, mostly derailleur housing and shortening brake hoses.
    Tips the scales at 25.9 lb. Left some room to shed more weight in future.

FTM medium
    Talas 140 RLC
    Cane Creek 110
    Thomson 100mm
    FSA XC190 bars
    X9 shifters
    Elixir R brakes
    Lizard Skin grips
    XT cranks
    XT front derailleur
    XO rear
    DT 240/4.2 wheelset
    XTR cassette
    Nevegal/Small Block 8
    Maxm carbon post
    WTB Silverado
    Last edited by Bikerbob.com; 02-06-2009 at 03:14 PM.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Secret code for Warp

I know you're itching to build it, if you haven't build it already, but what about throwing that puppy on the scale??

Just to please the WW crowd...
    I will give it to you in code that only you will understand:
    Medio 2535g

dog
    sit! stay!
    the orange is sweet!

but when will we get the ride report
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

Trophy Husband
    I will give it to you in code that only you will understand:
    Medio 2535g
    Dammit! What about the rest of us in the world that speak English (sic) and use a relevant measuring system.

Trophy Husband
    Just have a few more things to finish up, mostly derailleur housing and shortening brake hoses.
    That's a funny lookin' bashguard.

edit: The bike looks real good. I think I like the orange better.
    Last edited by geolover; 02-06-2009 at 06:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    FTM = F#@king Too Much, I love the bike!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I just got the medium in black, the LBS is building it up as we speak! Weighed the medium frame today with the RP23 shock and it came out to 5lbs 11ounces!!!

From what the LBS owner heard at InterBike, it's 8% stiffer and obviously lighter. The only thing holding up my build is waiting on Fox to ship my Talas RLC. I will have pics up next week of the build.

offroader
    Dec 2008

I'm in love

searcher
    25.9? Thats good. Looks killer, too. Thanks for the pics.
    Kovi

Bike to the Bone...
    Pretty nice!

I like black bikes, I just think that some accents in color would enhance the looks. But, function before form. Give it a good trashing and post some ride reports!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    IIRC in a over simplified way, since the NDS chainstay can go in a straight line from the main pivot it is stronger/stiffer than a "curved" stay (like the one on the DS to clear the chain, FD, etc)
    Sorry if I don't quite get it. Doesn't the ML have a straight stay on both sides? How does going to an asymetrical set up help?

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Ok... she looks good....

but how is she is bed.

This whole thread (the entire bike industry for that matter) reminds me of an experience in my youth.

"THE" best sexual experience(s) of my life (hands-down) was not with the best looking girl I ever slept with. Hummmmm.... go figure??????

Regards,

EndUser
    Last edited by EndUser; 02-06-2009 at 10:45 PM.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    I could seriously see myself having sex with this one though...

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

why the FTM?

Quote Originally Posted by TejasMTB
    I just got the medium in black, the LBS is building it up as we speak! Weighed the medium frame today with the RP23 shock and it came out to 5lbs 11ounces!!!

From what the LBS owner heard at InterBike, it's 8% stiffer and obviously lighter. The only thing holding up my build is waiting on Fox to ship my Talas RLC. I will have pics up next week of the build.
    You checked out lots of excellent bikes-Intense, Knolly, Yeti, Mach 5, Nomad.
    How did you decide on the FTM without test ride or reviews?
    Mine is built but no place to ride.

mtbr member

That Thing is Hot

Bet you could get L under 26 lbs easy maybe. Makes me want to two time on my Exogrid

Sorry if I don't quite get it. Doesn't the ML have a straight stay on both sides? How does going to an asymetrical set up help?
    no..from the main pivot behind the BB, the DS side chainstay lowers a bit to clear the FD...check the pics below...

ML

FTM

"El Whatever"
    Actually, the ML's bend downwards on both sides. The asymmetrical stay takes the shortest route between the pivot and the rear axle, hence it's stiffer and lighter.

You can't go straight on the other side as the chain, rings and else get in the way.

For those metrically challenged, weight of the medium as weighed by Bob is 5.57#.
    Thanks, Bob!!

BTW... Us color blind really can appreciate the beauty of that one, Bob.
    Check my Site

mtbr member

L definitely under 26 lbs

Yeah, bet you could get that under 26 lbs for a large - my 2007 L motolite comes in at exactly 26 lbs with no real weight weenie parts - XTR, King, WTB, etc.
    Hey, I didn't see that rock there."

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Road trip it.....

I don't care where you live in the lower 48.... there are snow free trails 16-24 hrs from your home. Even better, get in your car and head to the nearest desert. Two drivers, a bag of your favorite "chips", and a credit card is all you need. Be honored and be the first to give us bike geeks a good review of this frame.

EndUser

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You checked out lots of excellent bikes-Intense, Knolly, Yeti, Mach 5, Nomad.
    How did you decide on the FTM without test ride or reviews?

You also forgot to mention the Commencal Meta 5.5.1 that I actually ordered!

Well the Intense Tracer was nice with the new VPP redesidgn, but it was pricey (frame), and a little heavier then what I was wanting. And regardless of the improvements to the VPP design I still felt some of the chain growth associated with that design and I can't stand ghost shifting especially since it always happens when you are climbing.

The Knolly has gotten excellent reviews and I think it's an awesome bike but for my riding I think it is too much bike for my needs and the frame came it in at a not so light weight of 7lbs 15 ounces, that's just too porky for what I was looking to do.

The Pivot Mach 5 is probably the best pedaling bike ever, ever, ever!!! However it's drawback to me was a loss of feel when in the technical stuff and eventhough the DW suspension design worked really well, I just couldn't help but be turned off when I looked at its complexity and red rockers. But I think the biggest turn off for that bike for me was the lack of color/paint options. Now some may consider that petty and dumb, but if I can't look at my bike and be attracted to its style/lines/design/looks/color then I am going to be that much less motivated to get out there and ride the thing. Sometimes we have those days when you just need a slight push to get your butt off of the couch and out there riding and a sexy bike can usually provide that fuel needed to get out there.

I don't ever recall looking at a Nomad, at least not seriously, but I think it's a really nice bike, just not my taste.

The Commencal Meta 5.5 really met a lot of the requirements I was looking for my new trail bike to fulfill. It has the lightest rearend of any 5"+ travel bike I have ever ridden, I was hucking the rear fo that bike around corners like I was Jared Graves. Another attribute to the Meta was that its travel felt bottomless and even though it was a little havier frameset then I was hoping for it didn't feel as heavy as it was. I actually pulled the trigger on this bike a week and a half ago, but I was in the LBS last week when the FTM showed up and caught my eye.

I first rode the ML in 2005 and I liked it a lot, however I decided to go with the Yeti 575 based off of its rarity and uniqueness in my area (DFW). The single pivot of the Yeti really works well and is simple to understand and maintain. I really have no complaints about the 575 other than the typical "pause" one experiences on a SP when you are climbing and hit a ledge, but I got used to it really quickly and learned how to adapt my riding to it as well. I have owned 3 575's and a DJ and they were all thoroughly enjoyable bikes and I had nothing but great customer service from Seth and the guys at Yeti.

SO why the change if I had no complaints about the Yeti? Well after having the most recent one stolen I decided to go a different route, try a different suspension design and company altogether. The FTM is a dead sexy bike and with the new improvements in weight and stiffness and I just don't see how one could go wrong with the FTM. The particular we are building up is apparently the first FTM in all of Texas and it was there, in my size and just looked so damn intriguing in black, so I decided on the spot that I would ditch the Commencal and go for the FTM and be the test dummy for the new frame. Not to mention that I got a pretty damn good deal on the frame from my LBS, so it was a no brainer.
    Even if the new FTM is only 90% as good as the ML i still feel like it will be one hell of a trail bike and we all know that it will be an improvement to a successfull and well proven design. I hope that we can get the thing built this week so I can get out there and ride it and give you eager FTM watchers some feedback. We are waiting on Fox to ship my TALAS, but I think we might put the Float RL that came with the Commencal on it just to hold me over until the TALAS arrives (most likey next week at the earliest).

So stay tuned to this thread and hopefully I will have a ride report come Friday or Saturday.

Oh and on a side note, I rode the Chumba XCL this past weekend for a few days and even though I feel like it is too much bike for Austin (same feelings as the Knolly) I think it is a stellar bike that feels lighter than it is and climbs pretty well for a porkier 5" bike. To sum it up, I think I would really like this bike along with the Knolly if I were in the Pacific NW (where these bikes were designed and built to be ridden).

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Stunning looking bike, but im biased - ive got one of the first UK frames on order. Should be here next week - cant wait!

im aiming for sub 26lb weight with the build below..

Basic build is Hope Pro 3 wheels with DT 4.2, Schwalbe Nobby Nics
    Fox Vanilla 32 RLC (weighing up going with Talas though - still undecided if i require the travel adjust - opinions?)
    Chris King headset
    Thomson Elite seatpost and Thomson 90mm X4 stem
    Easton Monkeylite EC90 Riser bar
    Maguara Marta SL 180/160
    XTR Cranks
    XT Drivetrain
    Fizik Gobi XM Saddle

Il happily write a full review soon as ive got her built and tested her out!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood_Baldy
    Stunning looking bike, but im biased - ive got one of the first UK frames on order. Should be here next week - cant wait!

im aiming for sub 26lb weight with the build below..

Basic build is Hope Pro 3 wheels with DT 4.2, Schwalbe Nobby Nics
    Fox Vanilla 32 RLC (weighing up going with Talas though - still undecided if i require the travel adjust - opinions?)
    Chris King headset
    Thomson Elite seatpost and Thomson 90mm X4 stem
    Easton Monkeylite EC90 Riser bar
    Maguara Marta SL 180/160
    XTR Cranks
    XT Drivetrain
    Fizik Gobi XM Saddle

Il happily write a full review soon as ive got her built and tested her out!
    Can't wait for your review! I bet the FTM will work well with a fixed 140mm fork.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Well done, sir

Great descriptions. That's a lot of bikes to have checked out in the DFW area and end up with a new Titus by chance. Welcome aboard.

Funny how appearance comes into play against all the quantitative stuff. The black FTM is a looker.

Wonder if your shop could get Titus to send them an OEM Talas. Usually less expensive than direct from Fox. And faster.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Great descriptions. That's a lot of bikes to have checked out in the DFW area and end up with a new Titus by chance. Welcome aboard.

Funny how appearance comes into play against all the quantitative stuff. The black FTM is a looker.

Wonder if your shop could get Titus to send them an OEM Talas. Usually less expensive than direct from Fox. And faster.
    Well I test rode all of those bikes here in Austin where I currently live, I lived in Dallas from August of 2005 up until August of last year (2008). Dallas is where I did a lot of my mountain biking on my Yeti's along with some weekend trips to other parts of Texas (Austin, Waco, San Antonio), Oklahoma, Arkansas, and a few epic rides in Colorado (Fruita and the Boulder area), and Utah (Moab).

Like I said earlier, I knew of the Titus ML and how well it performed dating back to 2005 and I always liked the company so I figured going out on a limb here for the FTM wouldn't actually be that big of a stretch when you get down to it. No matter what people say, looks always play a factor in their buying decision, even if it's just a tiny bit, they still matter. And you're definitely right sir, the Black FTM is a stealthy looker, but I wouldn't be opposed to the white frame either (I like the orange but I had an orange 575 so its time for different strokes).

I didn't even think about having Titus send an OEM Talas, but I guess the guys at the shop didn't want to go that route since the bike was already in their possession. At my old LBS in Dallas they had their distributors main warehouse for the entire nation just 2 miles down the road and would get pretty much anything I needed 95% of time within the same day. I didn't realize how good I had it in that respect until now haha!

Bike to the Bone...
    .....Like I said earlier, I knew of the Titus ML and how well it performed dating back to 2005 and I always liked the company so I figured going out on a limb here for the FTM wouldn't actually be that big of a stretch when you get down to it. No matter what people say, looks always play a factor in their buying decision, even if it's just a tiny bit, they still matter. ....
    Yep... I do think that looks always are important, specially now that there are a lot ofo different options out there!

That black FTM looks pretty nice...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Here's my build

Frame: Titus FTM medium black
    Fork: 2009 32 Fox TALAS 100-120-140 9mm QR
    Headset: Crank Bros. Directset Free ride bearing steel at only 92 grames (sick)
    Crank: Race Face Deus XC
    Shifters: Sram X9
    Brakes: Formula Oro K24 180mm F/R
    Handlebars: Ritchey WCS aluminum riser
    Stem: Thomson Elite X4 90mm
    Seatpost: SDG Micro I-beam
    Saddle: SDG Bel-Air SL I-beam
    Front Der: Shimano XT
    Rear Der: Sram XO
    Rims: Stans NoTubes ZTR Arch
    Spokes: DT Swiss Champion
    Hubs: Hope Pro II black
    Tires: Front: Kenda Nevegal 2.35 UST or Continental Mountain King 2.2/2.4 UST??? Rear: Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 UST
    Pedals: Shimano XTR SPD
    Grips: Undecided (any suggestions? I like a sticky and textured grip)

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

It never ceases to amaze me.....

Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    Yep... I do think that looks always are important, specially now that there are a lot ofo different options out there!

That black FTM looks pretty nice...
    It never ceases to amaze me how looks, color etc. can be a deciding factor in selecting technical equipment.... any technical equipment. Aesthetics aside.... what could possibly be more important than performance? I just don't get it.... and I never will.

I think the FTM looks hot, but that says nothing about the performance. At this point, I could never buy this frame just on Titus' reputation alone. There are some critical differences to consider (in comparison to the ML) and it's difficult really guess how this bike will ride..... number one being the Light Rail rear end and the new Horst link / main pivot configuration.

Someone needs to give this frame a review..... Where are the early adopters with the deep pockets??? Come on.... who's gonna take one for the "team?"

Regards,

EndUser

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It never ceases to amaze me how looks, color etc. can be a deciding factor in selecting technical equipment.... any technical equipment. Aesthetics aside.... what could possibly be more important than performance? I just don't get it.... and I never will.

I think the FTM looks hot, but that says nothing about the performance. At this point, I could never buy this frame just on Titus' reputation alone. There are some critical differences to consider (in comparison to the ML) and it's difficult really guess how this bike will ride..... number one being the Light Rail rear end and the new Horst link / main pivot configuration.

Someone needs to give this frame a review..... Where are the early adopters with the deep pockets??? Come on.... who's gonna take one for the "team?"

Regards,

EndUser

EndUser,

Relax, BikerBob and I are on it. I can justify being an early adopter of the FTM based solely off of the success and performance of the ML and the companies reputation because how many bikes have you seen come out as a replacement or upgrade to an existing platform/model and be worse than the previous era?

This day and age in mountain biking is an exciting one, the technology seems to be increasing ten-fold every year and the FTM is no exception. How can one be uneasy about a bike that has been around for half a decade and made many a believer and has proven its durability and success many times over? The FTM is 8% stiffer, 6 ounces lighter, has a lower stand over, is better looking, and for those who care, has more bling!!!

Ya the Light Rail is smaller and lacks the bridge of the older ML but that's the beauty of carbon fiber, it allows one to make things smaller and lighter and most of the time stronger. The Light Rail will most likely be an improvement and that's a good thing. So the rocker is now further back on the TT, again, I am sure the engineers at Titus have a reason for that change and I will bet you it was done because it made an improvement in the bikes performance.

Don't be so afraid and negative about change, embrace it!!! I am doing my best to get out on the FTM by the end of this week to give you guys a full report on how it performs. Hang tight, it's going to be ok haha!!!

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004
    I'm chillin. Always chillin.... but I'm a born skeptic.... born to quesion and stir the pot... respectfully of course. Anyway, this industry is repleat with good companies that have made bad products... the list is too long to debate Now, I don't think this is the case with the FTM, but I'm still in the wait a see mode.

Besides I can't buy right now anyway.... recession and all.... you know.

Regards

EndUser

"El Whatever"
    I'm chillin. Always chillin.... but I'm a born skeptic.... born to quesion and stir the pot... respectfully of course. Anyway, this industry is repleat with good companies that have made bad products... the list is too long to debate Now, I don't think this is the case with the FTM, but I'm still in the wait a see mode.

Besides I can't buy right now anyway.... recession and all.... you know.

Regards

EndUser
    Same here... Don't get me wrong. The ML was (is) so good that just coming up and saying the FTM is better just doesn't ring a bell until I read/ride more.

The ML indeed was better than the Switchblade it replaced, but by a rather small margin... I wouldn't expect a huge improvement from the FTM, but let's wait and see.
    Check my Site

"El Whatever"

FTM medium
    Talas 140 RLC
    Cane Creek 110
    Thomson 100mm
    FSA XC190 bars
    X9 shifters
    Elixir R brakes
    Lizard Skin grips
    XT cranks
    XT front derailleur
    XO rear
    DT 240/4.2 wheelset
    XTR cassette
    Nevegal/Small Block 8
    Maxm carbon post
    WTB Silverado
    Bob, what's the BB height on that beauty??
    Check my Site

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

BB height and new geometry

Bob, what's the BB height on that beauty??
    I get 13 3/8" with Talas at 140mm.
    Catalog says 13.25".

Key point-the FTM was designed around the Talas 140mm, whereas the Motolite was based on the Talas 130mm, which was the norm back in '05.

Designing for the longer travel should help out on climbs. I mostly used the 120 setting on my ML, but expect to leave it on 140 for the FTM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Framesize question?

Starting to get more and more interested of the FTM! It's just the bike I need, long travel trailbike with proper angles & super-light weight. And it looks sweet!

Been looking at Intense before, they have introduced the Tracer (too heavy all-mountain kind of thing) and Spider 2 (proper weight, but too xc kind of thing), and I haven't been able to put my finger on what's missing in their model line-up. Well, it suddenly became clear, it's the FTM!!

But what framesize FTM should I go for? Any comments from new owners? I'm 6 feet tall and see myself in between of medium and large, maybe closer to large. Preferred stem is 90mm. Btw, the seat tube lenght is super long on the large (21.25"), does it look silly in real life?

Big thanks to bikerbob and tejas for great input in this thread! Bring in those reviews asap!

"El Whatever"
    I get 13 3/8" with Talas at 140mm.
    Catalog says 13.25".

NOoooooiiice!!!
    Check my Site

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Large FTM

Quote Originally Posted by lacross
    Starting to get more and more interested of the FTM! It's just the bike I need, long travel trailbike with proper angles & super-light weight. And it looks sweet!

Been looking at Intense before, they have introduced the Tracer (too heavy all-mountain kind of thing) and Spider 2 (proper weight, but too xc kind of thing), and I haven't been able to put my finger on what's missing in their model line-up. Well, it suddenly became clear, it's the FTM!!

But what framesize FTM should I go for? Any comments from new owners? I'm 6 feet tall and see myself in between of medium and large, maybe closer to large. Preferred stem is 90mm. Btw, the seat tube lenght is super long on the large (21.25"), does it look silly in real life?

Big thanks to bikerbob and tejas for great input in this thread! Bring in those reviews asap!
    Depending on your inseam, look toward large.
    The seat tube C-C (12.83") and C-T (21.25") is exactly the same as the current Motolite.
    Many people have them and they look well=proportioned with the cross brace.

Here's a large black. Scroll way up to see the large orange FTM.

Measure your current bike from crank bolt to saddle rail. Subtract 21.25" and that will give you an idea how much seatpost you will have exposed.

searcher
    Look is important. Just like with women. If she doesn't look good, who cares how she performs?
    Kovi

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thank you KOVI, finally someone on here is human. So tired of people saying I only need function and looks don't matter. They either have an ugly/crappy bike or like ugly/fat chicks. Hey they need love too, but it sure as hell isn't coming from me and that doesn't make me a bad guy!!!

searcher
    The FTM is a beautiful bike. And I am sure the riding characteristic will be very similar to the ML. There won't be any revolutionary change there, but am sure it will be nice. If I lived in a place with mountains I would get an FTM or an EG. Funny, I was looking at the 575 a lot lately, looks nice, too.
    Kovi

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Kovi, I loved the hell out of my Yeti's for over 4 years and through 3 different 575's and they were wonderful bikes. The SP has some draw backs, but I think that Yeti executes the SP best so that being said I wouldn't turn one away from them.

The FTM is nothing more than a ML with a face lift, a little liposuction, and some minor strengthening conditioning. However, its all good and it is an improvement over an already outstanding bike and now it looks better than ever.

The only real problem here is after some recent saddle time on the Chumba XCL now I am starting to eye the Chumba VF2 (apparently its like an improved XCL on a diet) and the Knolly Endorphine, oh the madness!!!
    Last edited by TejasMTB; 02-13-2009 at 12:13 AM.

"El Whatever"
    Thank you KOVI, finally someone on here is human. So tired of people saying I only need function and looks don't matter. They either have an ugly/crappy bike or like ugly/fat chicks. Hey they need love too, but it sure as hell isn't coming from me and that doesn't make me a bad guy!!!
    Haha... actually, Kovi's advice is one of the most given to beginner guitar players... pick a guitar you love watching at, because you'll spend more hours a day with it than your wife.

I've seen many of those relationships go bad after the rookie gets something that may not look as good, but sure performs better.

Your know, ugly guys/gals MUST perform better to make up for the lack of looks.
    Check my Site

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kovi
    Look is important. Just like with women. If she doesn't look good, who cares how she performs?
    I could psycho analyze this all day long, but I'm not surprised by any of this. Modern Marketing tactics are subtle and dangerous. It's a Jedi Mind trick.

"Perception IS reality"

The FTM looks great, but that's as far as I'm willing to go without more objective data. Sorry.

Regards,

EndUser
    Last edited by EndUser; 02-13-2009 at 01:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Here's my build

Frame: Titus FTM medium black
    Fork: 2009 32 Fox TALAS 100-120-140 9mm QR
    Headset: Crank Bros. Directset Sage Free ride bearing steel at only 92 grames (sick)
    Crank: Race Face Deus XC
    Shifters: Sram X9
    Brakes: Formula Oro K24 180mm F/R
    Handlebars: Ritchey WCS aluminum riser
    Stem: Thomson Elite X4 90mm
    Seatpost: SDG Micro I-beam
    Saddle: SDG Bel-Air SL I-beam
    Front Der: Shimano XT
    Rear Der: Sram XO
    Rims: Stans NoTubes ZTR Arch
    Spokes: DT Swiss Champion
    Hubs: Hope Pro II black
    Tires: Front: Kenda Nevegal 2.35 UST or Continental Mountain King 2.2/2.4 UST??? Rear: Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 UST
    Pedals: Shimano XTR SPD
    Grips: Undecided (any suggestions? I like a sticky and textured grip)
    So the bike is built, minus the wheels. Currently have some Mavic X321 disc with dt rear hub and no name front to get it out and spinning. We made a few changes along the way, some out of necessity and some out of sheer laziness.

Grips:I finally chose OURY lock grips with ODI lock rings(very sticky and squishy, I like)
    Tires: Going with the Conti Mountain King 2.4 UST up front and Maxxis CrossMark 2.1 UST in the rear
    Saddle: Fizik Gobi XM (not using the SDG seat post so had to get a traditional railed saddle, so buh-bye SDG Bel Air SL)
    Seat post: Thomson 31.8 (couldn't go with the SDG post because it was a 31.6, not the 31.8 the FTM needs)
    Handle bars: Supplier sent Ritchey Pro instead of the WCS I wanted, so found a new Race Face NEXT Carbon SL low rise, 100 grams lighter than the Ritchey WCS and not too much more $$$ and they were there and available
    Stem: Still using the Thomson Elite X4 but went 0 degree 90mm instead of the 100mm
    Fork: The biggest change of them all, my TALAS still wasn't in but we built it up with a Float RL 140mm in black which matches the bike nicely and quite honestly I hardly ever used the adjustability portion of the TALAS on my previous bikes. It was either at 120 or 140 98% of the time. If I find the 140mm is too long then we can space it down to 130mm and I am saving some weight and some cash with that fork over the TALAS.

Pedaling the bike around the parking felt great. It felt so flickable and quick when on the pedals, definitely not as laggy as the ML. I have a busy weekend ahead so I am not sure I will be able to get out on it this weekend, but I am going to do my best. Not sure what the weight is, but I am gunna wait to weigh it until we get the proper wheels and tires on it next week.

searcher
    The only real problem here is after some recent saddle time on the Chumba XCL now I am starting to eye the Chumba VF2 (apparently its like an improved XCL on a diet) and the Knolly Endorphine, oh the madness!!!
    Nice bikes fo sho. But, you made a good choice with the FTM. Looking forward to see your pics, and read your ride report!
    Kovi

dog
    sit! stay!
    hmmm...

it's usually kinda hard to look at your bike while you're riding it...

so, ill wait for the ride report...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

Bike to the Bone...
    ......The only real problem here is after some recent saddle time on the Chumba XCL now I am starting to eye the Chumba VF2 (apparently its like an improved XCL on a diet) and the Knolly Endorphine, oh the madness!!!
    Endorphin.. pretty nice

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Depending on your inseam, look toward large.
    The seat tube C-C (12.83") and C-T (21.25") is exactly the same as the current Motolite.
    Many people have them and they look well=proportioned with the cross brace.

Here's a large black. Scroll way up to see the large orange FTM.

Measure your current bike from crank bolt to saddle rail. Subtract 21.25" and that will give you an idea how much seatpost you will have exposed.
    Thanks,
    inseam is 85cm (2.7feet?), so I'm still struggling with the size. Also, my current bike TT is 24" and I wouldn't want to go upwards from that to FTM large 24.25", but then again the medium FTM feels a tad too short. I have no chance of demo riding the bike where I live... Also, it kind of feels funny that I as the regular 6feet rider should go for the largest size of four..?

I guess Titus isn't offering the alu version FTM as custom frame? The size exactly in between M & L would be spot on for me (TT 23.75", seat tube 20.25")

Btw, what's up with the head angle steepening towards larger frame sizes? A solid 69 would be spot on for a trailbike..

Members who have read this thread: 0