Thread: FTM Slackset

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

FTM Slackset

Hi,I've searched this forum,but can't find if On-one make a Slackset that fits the FTM,the UK site doesn't show one.Has anyone fitted one successfully,as I'd like to get an FTM,but would like to slacken the head angle.
    Ian

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by The Jesmond Dingo View Post
    Hi,I've searched this forum,but can't find if On-one make a Slackset that fits the FTM,the UK site doesn't show one.Has anyone fitted one successfully,as I'd like to get an FTM,but would like to slacken the head angle.
    Ian
    The Slackset will fit the FTM Alloy.

Will not fit the FTM Carbon
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks Shiggy,it's an alloy I'm thinking about getting.
    Ian

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hi,

I had the same problem since on the On-one UK website it is not very clear which headset model would fit the FTM Alu frame. I've ended up calling them and they explained that the model I needed was the same they sell for the carbon 456 hardtail frame model (]On-One Slackset Headset By Works Components For Carbon 456).

Depending on the size of the frame headtube, it may be compatible with one of the 3 headsets offered for the carbon 456 frame.

"The headset is designed to fit the Smoothie Mixer standard size head tube - 44mm upper, 49.6mm lower. Upper cup is now external to allow the offset for the angle adjustment, but the total steerer length is practically identical. Headtube length is 90mm (16in), 105mm (18in), 120mm (20in)."

Just a piece of advice regarding the installation that is really a pain. Due to the offset that is built-in the cups, the outside part of the headset cups do not lie flat against the frame. It is a pain to install them using a normal headset press tool, I couldn't get the cups aligned with the frames at all! In the end I needed to resort to a more low-tech tool (a mallet) to get the job done and it took ages. Plus you need to align the cups in a specific direction to get the angles right and it implies lot's of measuring and double-checking.

If you're buying the frame and the headset from on-one it is worth to spend extra 10pounds had have them install the headset for you.

Ive had the headset for 4 months now without any issue, the FTM really rails corners and for me the steering feels properly slack.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    cmrt00,did you have the 1 or 2 degree Slackset fitted? And to what size frame?
    Ta,Ian

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hi,

I've got the 2degrees model since the FTM standard headset angle is 69, which for me is a bit too XC-oriented. I have some nice steep technical descents close to where I live so around 67 sounded right.

I've bought a small FTM frame, according to the geometry data on the on-one website, the headtube length on a small FTM is 102mm, which is quite similar to the 105mm of an 18in c456 frame, so I purchase the 18in headset model.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,
    Carlos.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

New question here.

FTM c with 150mm fork is 68 degrees.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Jesmond, I have a slackset that I'm getting rid of. It is the one designed for the medium size frames - based on the length of the headtube. anything in the 105 mm +/- 5mm range is OK. Let me know if interested via PM.