mtbr member
    Feb 2010

An FTM - a serious rub on the seatpost from carbon seatstay ?

I was cleaning my FTM after yesterday's ride while revealed something that looks like serious rub on the seat tube apparently by carbon seatstay. I have black anodize frame and the rub got through the ano down to bare aluminium. It feels like a 1mm or so deep which concerns me quite a bit. Might impact the mechanical strength of the seat tube should it get worse (or perhaps even at the current condition ?)
    This is only on the right side, left side seems clean.
    The only what could get in touch in that area is the carbon seatstay, apparently when rear suspension gets active.

Attached a few pictures I tried to snap of that. Hope it appears clear enough to get the idea of what I'm talking about.

Will appreciate your opinion on that, also if someone has similar experience.
    If there is something to do (such as somehow to protect that area from further impact)

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails An FTM - a serious rub on the seatpost from carbon seatstay ?-p1010786-web.jpg  

An FTM - a serious rub on the seatpost from carbon seatstay ?-p1010788-web.jpg  

mtbr member
    I'm thinking you shot a rock up in there between the seatstay and seat tube off the tire. The carbon wouldn't have been able to make a deep scratch like that in the aluminum. Once the suspension cycled a few times it probably fell out?

Are there any marks on the inside of the seat stay?
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have patch of 1-inch raw alum there on my seattube. Dun worry, it's your cable rub on the seatube, not the carbon rocker. Release the air from the rear shock, press yr seat down and see how the rear d cable get kinked and rub against the seattube.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Well, unlikely a rock. I indeed mostly ride in dry, rocky environment, these things are flying over on DH sections, but if one would be caught there I'd expect it to get out right away with all the riding dynamics...
    On the other hand, I squeezed the suspension and see how the kinked cable can get close to that place, I imagine under my weight + suspension being active the cable can indeed be just in-line with that scratch. What I'm wondering about is how bizarre the result can be just from the cable housing on the metal (yet soft but still metal..)

Appears to be a serious design flaw by Titus...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    As u wonder when rear d cable rubs and the rear brake cable on the left side of the seat tube does not....there lies the answer. Look at out the cable are being route and secured. Free the rear d cable by having a continuous run juz like the brake cable. Press the seat down again and you will see the rear d cable will not
    Rub against the seattube as it has more room to extend out.