Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hueston Woods Trail Crew

FTM gets MBA review

Mountain Bike Action, July issue. http://titusti.com/07/press/09FTM_Mo...BikeAction.pdf

I happened to have a small,medium and large in each color built up recently and took some snapshots. Got to be ready for the throngs of MBA subscribers who want to demo them
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bikerbob.com; 05-22-2009 at 05:01 AM.

dog
    sit! stay!
    it should get high marks just for having an anno orange option
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerbob.com
    I happened to have a small,medium and large in each color built up recently and took some snapshots.
    Rock Shox fetish?
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I don't know Biker Bob, there is no green color option for the FTM. It's no secret that Editior at Large Richard Cunningham tends to favor green bikes. Of course Editors Ryan Cleek and Jim Mcllvain currently ride Titus ML's so I am sure they will put FTM through it's paces and give it a favorable review.

Sopwithcamel

Bike to the Bone...
    Well, MBA likes Titus, so it will probably come with a favorable review.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by dog
    it should get high marks just for having an anno orange option
    Normally, I wouldn't like Orange, but it looks hawt on the FTM..

mtbr member
    Titus, Pivot, Spec, Trek. Biggest advertisers get the best reviews. Who says money cant buy love.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    Rock Shox fetish?
    Good eye, as always. Kind of a departure from Bob's usual Fox.
    Check my Site

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

How did you get in here?

Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    Titus, Pivot, Spec, Trek. Biggest advertisers get the best reviews. Who says money cant buy love.
    Are you saying Knolly doesn't advertise enough? Is Dom's word of mouth enough?

I doubt the Titus ad budget is in the same universe as Trek, Specialized, etc. Plus, their recent ads were kinda odd. Sorry, TitusJeff.

If it boiled down to revenue, the MBA guys wouldn't be riding Motolites as their personal bikes.

I've been liking the Revelations lately. Features, price, and especially showroom feel. Less stiction when the customer inevitably pushes down on the bars. Plus the option of black and white,instead of the Talas only in ti. I would love to see a Talas in black with red accents.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I don't get where these bashing oppinions come from. I've been reading MBA for several years and have always found their reviews to be overall----pretty darn clear about what they think of each bike. I also like how the magazine seems to go to pretty good lengths to make clear smaller details about a the behavior of bikes, not just in individual reviews either. But across articles.

Sure, occasionally a review will be published that glosses over details and is either very positive or not so positive without it being clear as to why. But that doesn't happen too often.

A Giant recently won their 5 inch trailbike shootout. Up against some bikes that MBA has REALLY loved in past reviews. I think those guys at MBA do a good job.

Ti is addictive
    Nice review....Titus has it scanned on the websites. Amazed me how 5K ride was built up to be just under 28 lbs. We've seen and heard about a few here at 26 lbs.

One thing about MBA, look at the price range of bikes. The ones over 4K always have glowing reviews, and when they give Crap reviews, its usually on test rigs that are fully built at sub 800 bucks.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

mtbr member

I still own a Motolite

[QUOTE=Bikerbob.com]Are you saying Knolly doesn't advertise enough? Is Dom's word of mouth enough?

And I love it... Since I've been unemployed I've been riding just about everyday, I try and alternate between the DT and the ML and I'm starting the love the ML all over again especially since I solved the ghost shifting problem. I'm planning on doing the local XC races at Northstar this summer. I'm not saying the FTM isnt a good bike, if it is the evolution of the ML I'm sure its a great bike. I'm just a little weary of MBA, it just seems they get all goo-goo-gaa-gaa over bikes from their big advertisers and frankly most of their articles leave alot to be desired. I wonder if they snapped the rockers on their test Firebird yet?

Bike to the Bone...
    Are you saying Knolly doesn't advertise enough? Is Dom's word of mouth enough?
    Knolly doesn't need advertisement... :P

Well, I've read the online review, and it's nice. I don't know how biased the reviews are, what irks me about MBA is that unless R.C. wrote the article, you don't know the author(s), so that you could see which riders agree or disagree with you.

On MBA R.C. has mentioned favorably the ML, so I don't see why they would change with the FTM (unless Titus had done a horrible homework creating the FTM, which I seriously doubt is the case).

mtbr member
    Actually is a pretty fair and honest review. They make their love of the ML quite obvious but understand how the FTM move the ML to the next level. Their comment on the front end of the ML is right on and in agreement with what others have said about the FTM.

mtbr member

Hey Bob?

What is going on with all the headset spacers on the FTM's, they are all around 1-2"? I had my ML custom fitted from Wrench Science (did the whole measurement thing) and mine came with close to two inches of spacers. I always hated the look and always complained about the wandering front end while climbing steeper pitches. After riding my Delirium, I jumped back on the ML and the bars felt really high so I started lowering them, now I am down to 3/8" of spacers with a 10 degree by 90mm stem and 1.5" rise bars, I even went as far as cutting my steerer tube I love it so much. Now the front doesnt wander at all. I'm only asking because I have noticed that most ML's have at least an inch of spacers and I dont know why, is it because of the seat to bars relationship?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Spacers-The Final Front Ear

What is going on with all the headset spacers on the FTM's, they are all around 1-2"?
    These are display/demo bikes. I have to leave the steerers long in order to swap forks around between the 3 sizes. And I never know what the end user will want, or if they need to start out a little higher before deciding on the final cut. It's hard to make them longer after the fact.
    I do numerous fork swaps around here. Nothing worse than when what would have been the perfect shock for a new build is 1/2" too short to fit.

I like 1/2" of spacers on my ML, sometimes less. The FTM will take me some time to set up(after 5 years of Motolites). I haven't yet picked out a demo for myself. Can't decide which color.

I, for one, don't like seeing an inch or more of spacers above the stem, like I'm ready to rope some cattle. And spacers are a great place to add that cheap splash of color. 2" of red, gold, or blue spacers is 10% the cost of a red, gold, or blue headset (and can be removed in 2 minutes with an allen wrench).

PS. Your experience with "custom fitting" makes one wonder about the whole online fit calculator thing. Mt. bikes are very, very subjective. Can Comp.Cyclist figure what stem, bar width, and spacers you will need without watching you ride or getting your feedback?
    Using road bike fit technology on a 4", 5", or 6" multipurpose mt bike is nuts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I am really liking the look of that white FTM.
    On another point, what stem length do you guys run on your MLs? I currently have a 70mm X4 with fixed 130mm forks (Laurins) and it wanders on the climbs, travel adjust forks aren't an option right now so wondering about stem length.

dog
    sit! stay!

And I love it... Since I've been unemployed I've been riding just about everyday, I try and alternate between the DT and the ML and I'm starting the love the ML all over again especially since I solved the ghost shifting problem. I'm planning on doing the local XC races at Northstar this summer. I'm not saying the FTM isnt a good bike, if it is the evolution of the ML I'm sure its a great bike. I'm just a little weary of MBA, it just seems they get all goo-goo-gaa-gaa over bikes from their big advertisers and frankly most of their articles leave alot to be desired. I wonder if they snapped the rockers on their test Firebird yet?
    OK, so based on your statement, i am not sure whether i should feel bad that you lost your job or not... i know what you mean about MBA... you always have to read between the lines... also, they never seem to review very many freeridey type bikes like yours, either ... and if they reviewed the endorphin, they'd probably say it's to heavy and the travel is too short i guess i would think like them if i could get a new bike anytime i wanted...

on the other hand, think about how much fs bikes have improved over the past 10 years... even the mediocre bikes are so much better than the best bikes of back then... i think it's good to have some way of putting pressure on the industry to continue to make improvments and MBA does help with that...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    PS. Your experience with "custom fitting" makes one wonder about the whole online fit calculator thing. Mt. bikes are very, very subjective. Can Comp.Cyclist figure what stem, bar width, and spacers you will need without watching you ride or getting your feedback?
    Using road bike fit technology on a 4", 5", or 6" multipurpose mt bike is nuts.
    The calculator comp.cyclist has is a good starting place, I don't think they claim it's more than that. I found it very useful as a starting place.

David B.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    What is going on with all the headset spacers on the FTM's, they are all around 1-2"? I had my ML custom fitted from Wrench Science (did the whole measurement thing) and mine came with close to two inches of spacers. I always hated the look and always complained about the wandering front end while climbing steeper pitches. After riding my Delirium, I jumped back on the ML and the bars felt really high so I started lowering them, now I am down to 3/8" of spacers with a 10 degree by 90mm stem and 1.5" rise bars, I even went as far as cutting my steerer tube I love it so much. Now the front doesnt wander at all. I'm only asking because I have noticed that most ML's have at least an inch of spacers and I dont know why, is it because of the seat to bars relationship?
    I've been wondering the same. I have about 1" of spacers on my Motolite. I usually run the Talas at either 100mm or 120mm because the 140 just feels too tall. If I went with less spacers seems like I could run the fork at a longer travel and get the full benefit of the fork.
    Am I missing something here?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Tiendo...... There is a reason why bikes over $4k get good reviews. They usually have full XT or X0 drive trains and no compromise components, which makes a huge difference. Also the uber expensive bikes over $7K didn't come out smelling like a rose ethier. MBA felt they weren't really gaining anything in performance over that price point.

Sopwithcamel

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Here is a question for discussion. Do you think Titus will bring out a full Carbon FTM frame for 2010?

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by sopwithcamel
    Here is a question for discussion. Do you think Titus will bring out a full Carbon FTM frame for 2010?
    The lycra-wearing crowd's wet dream...

My vote is "please no".
    Check my Site

searcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    The lycra-wearing crowd's wet dream...

My vote is "please no".

Kovi

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by kovi
    Based on the fact that everybody and their brother is coming out with all carbon trail bikes, the answer is probably yes.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast