Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NOT Team Sanchez

FTM carbon with 160mm fork; what do you think? I want to do it!

Did an enduro and now I want to get on carbon, called Titus this morning and spoke with one of the reps who said that a 160 should be fine. I'm no longer doing really big moves, but still ride fairly aggressively hitting moderate sized moves to trans..... Input wanted, thanks! PS- my el guapo still going strong as ever!
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    I would be a little weary of jumping a carbon framed "trail" bike.

mtbr member
    Man, I would not do it. That bike does not have a good reputation concerning durability...
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Trails often have jumps.....I guess what I'm asking is can it handle aggressive trail riding? I thought carbon was uber durable when intact??
    I like bikes.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Vesp, the 2009's had the bad rear end that to my understanding has been rectified...pun.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    You may be right but I have personally seen two FTM's with broken stays and on this board, there have been many. I don't think they were all 2009's either. I hope they are fixed because the ML deserves a better replacement.

With that said, the true replacement for the ML is coming. I used to call it the EG-lite. Titus is calling it the TR26. I think that is the bike you want.

Also, I think you mean rectumfied!

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Buddy rides a 2010 ftm carbon and has gone thru three rear derailleur hangers, and one Rokker pivot(warranty). I'd stay with the 140 or go with a different CF bike. Bike rides nice - but the Horst Link is not what its cracked-up to be...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

NOT Team Sanchez
    We shall see..... Just got one, the deal was timed nicely
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    but the Horst Link is not what its cracked-up to be...
    See, that last statement shows what little you know. All HL bikes are not similar. A perfect example is the EG and the ML. The ML had terrible anti-squat and pedal performance. The EG is light years better. In fact, almost all new HL bikes, from Norco and Specialized, just to name a few, have almost the same anti-squat characteristics as VPP or dw linked bikes. By itself, the HL brings nothing to the table except for a small amount of braking performance. The wheel path and anti-squat behavior is pretty much independent of the HL.

Bike Addiction
    "Cracked up to be".... lol! Thats funny. Good one Zach
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    OK dude here goes:

I have one and I really like it. Whether it can handle a 160mm fork or not - I can't answer. How much extra leverage 10mm puts on the frame is one question to ask - the other is probably what kind of riding the extra fork size will encourage you to ride.

So far I have loved mine and I ride it HARD. The only major issue I've had is that the design of the mech hanger is a joke - I've gone through about 6 of them and not one breakage was due to hitting anything - just metal fatigue. If you ride hard and rough terrain - you'll experience the same. My solution was to make a plate out of stainless steel which braces the hanger. Means that I am never going to break a hanger again but if I hit the derailleur hard - I'll destroy the derailleur or seatstay or both. But there was no choice as every time one broke it ruined a ride and damaged something else. I strongly recommend you look at doing something similar.

Otherwise enjoy the ride. It's a great frame for the price.

mtbr member
    I had a similar experience with the hanger on the Rockstar (uses the same hanger) demo I had last year. It was a bad design to have one of the mounting holes in the section of the hanger that had the least material. I had several break right at that hole. The hanger is the same on the Rockstar Carbon but I haven't had any issues because I swapped the hanger with a Wheels MFG hanger which is CNC cut instead of forged, it seems to be a little thicker then the stock hanger.
    Wheels Manufacturing Derailleur Hanger 145
    You might also look into a North Shore Billet Hanger Banger.
    Hanger Bangers North Shore Billet

NOT Team Sanchez
    It arrived just now, quick shipping! 1st impression is this bike is sexy!
    I like bikes.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Oops double post
    I like bikes.

Bike Addiction
    Pics wasea, when you get a minute
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Wasea, I am excited to see it! Also interested in what fork you will end up running.

I am also taking bets on how long it will be before you return to the El Guapo. If anyone was ever a living testimonial to the El Guapo it would be you. What would you say, 25 various frames since you bought your El Guapo, and return to it every time, for literally every type of riding.

Nonetheless I love Titus for how they are able to provide such great frames, especially carbon now, for unbelievable prices. Sure they may have a few quarks, like the derailleur hanger issue, but what manufacturer doesn't. Personally, I would take a few quarks in exchange for these amazing prices.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Ha ha thanks for that James I'll get pictures up when I can will be a little bit I'm waiting on parts by the way anyone know when the shocks are due to arrive?
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    So are you planning on running your Kowa on this, or you going to throw your 55 on it? Or do you have another fork hidden in the bike cave that you are saving for this build? I look forward to hearing what you think of the build.

mtbr member
    So is the FTM a 140mm rear? I've forgotten. I ran a 160 on my 5 Spot and loved it. I think you're like me in that you want something that will absorb some hits and feel plush through the rough stuff without flexing like a wet noodle (32mm forks). The slacker HA will be appreciated too. The only question is.... will the rear triangle keep up/hold up?

I guess we'll find out. Sounds like a fun project and should be a good enduro mount. Get it down around 30 lbs or less and you'll be golden.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Thanks for the input kent! I settled on the magura Thor...140mm travel with 20mm axle. Waiting on rear shock.
    I like bikes.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Still waiting on rear shock, have called and been given varying eta's???
    I like bikes.

Winning
    Jul 2013
    Hey Sanchez,

If you're still waiting on your shock, give me a call with your order number so I can get it shipped out to you tomorrow.
    The shocks just arrived on Wednesday, and we were at Mountain Bike Oregon all weekend.

Thanks!

Winning
    Jul 2013
    hey gravityfreaky,

We've updated the hangers on the aluminum and carbon Titus frames, and they are now manufactured by Wheels Mfg. This means they're much stronger and more durable than the original Taiwanese ones used previously.
    They're $25 each, but so far totally worth it in quality improvement.

mtbr member
    Can honestly say that since I started using Wheels MFG hangers I havent had one bend or break.

NOT Team Sanchez
    On its way! Thanks guys! Sooooo excited to ride
    I like bikes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast