mtbr member

Wink On an FTM again for a few miles....

My wife has been doing the WVMBA series this year and last night I went with her on a pre-ride of the notrth bend state park race course. My EG has a coil shock and 2.3 schwable wicked will's on it right now and I didn't feal like riding it so.....

I slammed the seat on her large 2011/12 aluminum FTM and gave it a shot. First of all the bike is a bit too tall for me. I remember with my medium being suprised at how tall the standover was. My FTM was also the first year for the ftm with a straight headtube and rp23 shock. This bike still impresses with how well it takes off with each pedal stoke. The versions with the rockshox rear shock seem to do even better when accelerating out of the saddle or on a standing super-steep climb.There seems to be less bob but the rear is still a bit flexible when wiggling through tight s-turns or when coming off of a fast berm.

Over all I still like the FTM. The new shock was a real improvement over the fox unit they did come with. Would I give up my EG for one, F NO! They are good trail bikes that could be great bikes with a little more tire clearance in the rear and an all aluminum rear.

I'm not going to be on this bike any more as it is obviously one or maybe even two sizes too big for me. If I could find a medium or small front triangle I might build it up for myself.

The wife is really enjoying her niner air9 right now so the ftm has been hung up for a while. Next year she wants some kind of full squish 29'r for the rougher races. Not sure what to look at but my mind is open to everything but full carbon bikes!
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    This is of interest to me as lately i've been wondering if I would have been better off with an FTM over the EG as the trails I ride are not super technical.

I find the EG to be a slow but fun climber that is absolute bliss descending. What I don't like is it's hard to wheelie and bunny hop. Would you mind elaborating a little on the different ride characteristics between the two?

As far as what to look for in a FS 29er for your wife I don't have any seat time on these. The SC Tallboy and Ventana El Rey seem to recieve a lot of praise.

mtbr member
    Would you mind elaborating a little on the different ride characteristics between the two?
    To be honest I still stand buy what I said about my original FTM, if it had better tire clearance in the rear for a true 2.3 I would still own it. To me it was a super fun bike that had great "pop" when you need to get over a log over or large rock. But it's greatest assets where also it's downfalls. It was light, but to the point of being weak. It had fun dh geometry but alway wanted to lift the front tire on steep climbs (to me anhow).

The EG will climb anything but you better bring your legs with you. If I can muscle down and find the right gear traction is almost never a problem. Thw low bottom bracket is a ***** to deal with when I go to Davis WV because of roots. There are places I need to pedal on DH runs and it just isn't possible with anything other than 165mm cranks. The EG still has a good pop to it for logs and what not but with my build I'm pushing 30# so it takes a bit more work to loft the tires with out some kind of lip to push the bike up.

Since swapping to a coil rear shock I like my EG even more. I really wish I could run my rp23 on this bike since it has a pro-pedal but the other 75% of the time I wouldn't be using it the bike feels so much better.

Build the FTM again with an aluminum rear end for bigger tires, don't change the front triangle, keep the pin style shock mount and I'll buy another one for a second bike.

Raise the BB on the EG and make it in brown ano again and I'll buy another one should this one get hit buy a meteor.

mtbr member

Pulling the front up and holding it there is key...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Richard View Post
    ...What I don't like is it's hard to wheelie and bunny hop.
    I agree on the wheelie part... takes a lot more initial effort to get it to height and hold
    And still have to really fight harder compared to my other bikes. Was wee bit easier on air shock but not much.

Bunnies-- I got the timing down and find that u really got to heave hard on the pull-- bmx style. Most time I cheat using more of a pedal punch to compensate for the heavy long rear instead...

Am working on a light build (estimating 7 lb less than current) for my 2nd EG-- will see if that helps.

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    Build the FTM again with an aluminum rear end for bigger tires, don't change the front triangle, keep the pin style shock mount and I'll buy another one for a second bike.

Raise the BB on the EG and make it in brown ano again and I'll buy another one should this one get hit buy a meteor.
    Ya what exactly is a light rail seat stay? I had a brown ano EG and had to replace it due to a huge dent in the down tube. My current EG has a BB height of 12 3/4" (324mm) with the low A2C (521mm) fork I run.

Quote Originally Posted by anvil_den View Post
    Am working on a light build (estimating 7 lb less than current) for my 2nd EG-- will see if that helps.
    Mine comes in at near craigstr light numbers- 28.9lbs. I am an old bmx'er and used to be able to bunny hop as high as the lower headset cup on my old hardtail MTB, but on the EG anything more than a tall curb I'll tag it with the back tire.

The EG has the longest chain stay of any bike I've owned. Makes sense for it's intended use I suppose, but I tend to attribute the poor bunny hopping/ wheelie'ing to this and started taking a look at the FTM. I almost bought a Ventana El Ciclon but I have questions about brake jack with single pivot over horst link.

terrible, I was thinking of renting an SC Tallboy for a day. I could leave my impression of it afterwords if your interested.

mtbr member
    My wife has been doing the WVMBA series this year and last night I went with her on a pre-ride of the notrth bend state park race course. My EG has a coil shock and 2.3 schwable wicked will's on it right now and I didn't feal like riding it so.....

I slammed the seat on her large 2011/12 aluminum FTM and gave it a shot. First of all the bike is a bit too tall for me. I remember with my medium being suprised at how tall the standover was. My FTM was also the first year for the ftm with a straight headtube and rp23 shock. This bike still impresses with how well it takes off with each pedal stoke. The versions with the rockshox rear shock seem to do even better when accelerating out of the saddle or on a standing super-steep climb.There seems to be less bob but the rear is still a bit flexible when wiggling through tight s-turns or when coming off of a fast berm.

Over all I still like the FTM. The new shock was a real improvement over the fox unit they did come with. Would I give up my EG for one, F NO! They are good trail bikes that could be great bikes with a little more tire clearance in the rear and an all aluminum rear.

I'm not going to be on this bike any more as it is obviously one or maybe even two sizes too big for me. If I could find a medium or small front triangle I might build it up for myself.

The wife is really enjoying her niner air9 right now so the ftm has been hung up for a while. Next year she wants some kind of full squish 29'r for the rougher races. Not sure what to look at but my mind is open to everything but full carbon bikes!

The hell with your opinions about the FTM and EG! Show us some pics of your long legged lady!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Move EG stays to FTM, think I like that idea

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJ View Post
    Move EG stays to FTM, think I like that idea
    +1. Great idea and a blast from the past. Didn't they put the SM stays on the motolite when people found them too narrow?

mtbr member

same thoughts... CS and also WB too long

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Richard View Post

The EG has the longest chain stay of any bike I've owned. Makes sense for it's intended use I suppose, but I tend to attribute the poor bunny hopping/ wheelie'ing to this and started taking a look at the FTM. I almost bought a Ventana El Ciclon but I have questions about brake jack with single pivot over horst link.

Guess for bmxers, no matter what new bikes they ride, the j-hop is a default benchmark test

Ramp up the shock rebound if you are just going for a few bunnies on the driveway. It also helps if you are pulling off a 180 front pivot or rockwalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    +1. Great idea and a blast from the past. Didn't they put the SM stays on the motolite when people found them too narrow?
    I remember having the stays apart and comparing the two types, squeezing and twisting on em by hand.. same w/ EG

Those FR stays don't budge, night and day difference

mtbr member

EG is a great technical climber

I disagree with Terrible on needing legs to climb with the EG. If its setup properly it climbs as good as if not better then a motolite or FTM. All depends on shock setup. I have a PUSHED Monarch, the firm setting was valved very firm, in this position the EG is a rocket. In the middle setting, it bobs a little more but it will claw up just about anything. I recently put my Dueler on to test it out for my SuperD this past saturday (pinch flatted a mile from the finish). I dialed alot of low speed compression in for the 7 mile fireroad climb to one of my favorite trails, but man that coil just sucked the life out of my legs, I felt like I was dragging a log up the hill. It was great on the trail down. The EG's abilities are very dependent on setup for all aspects of the trail.

mtbr member
    Craig, don't say you're going to argue with me then turn around and agree! Damnit, I want to argue with you but you said the same thing with different words.

YOU
    but man that coil just sucked the life out of my legs,
    ME
    Since swapping to a coil rear shock I like my EG even more. I really wish I could run my rp23 on this bike since it has a pro-pedal but the other 75% of the time I wouldn't be using it the bike feels so much better.
    I guess I need to stop blowing up wheels on xc courses trying to ride them like DH courses and buy a push'd monarch. But damn that free fox van R was nice and cheap...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Don't get any better, coil is like motorboat'n double d's, have to stop for air every once in a while

mtbr member

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    The EG's abilities are very dependent on setup for all aspects of the trail.
    7 miles! Ouch

Suspension and wheel setup on the EG really makes a huge diff..
    But while coil seems to add an anchor to the ankles-- its better (for me) on slow tech and slippery grinding... I don't race so speed is not an issue-- just so long as I dont have to push my bike..

Experimenting this year with a lighter coil and a longer fork-- so far it does things much better than expected. Had to get the lighter spring to get my shock to "talk" with the new coil fork....

Hubs on the lighter side of engagements seems more suited for the EG suspension design....

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I grabbed one of those Carbon FTMs in small that were blown out earlier. Built the bike up and I like it a lot. Its much better then my 2002 Trek Liquid by far. I'm a light guy about 5"7' 130 pounds and with my kit perhaps another 10lbs more. The EG seemed much more frame then I really needed. I always felt for the heavier guys they'd need bikes built up burlier. Time will tell if i crack the carbon in half - most likely at the bb if I'm not careful with some of those rock gardens. I also really wanted to try carbon to reduce the trail chatter and It has really helped - my bad wrists were killing me on the Trek.

-dx

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

platforms

Quote Originally Posted by anvil_den View Post
    Hubs on the lighter side of engagements seems more suited for the EG suspension design....
    Wrong gear get a shoe clap for sure

mtbr member
    Well I'm officially bummed. The seat stay on the brake side has some cracks in it. I was hoping to get a medium front triangle from titus and build the bike for me. My wife wanted to race her stumpy a couple time this year so I put it back together and in the process I found the cracks in the seatstay of the ftm. I've found another user on here selling his but not sure I really want to invest in something that looks to be discontinued?

Brant, Are there an plans to re-vamp the FTM in the future?

mtbr member
    Well I'm officially bummed. The seat stay on the brake side has some cracks in it. I was hoping to get a medium front triangle from titus and build the bike for me. My wife wanted to race her stumpy a couple time this year so I put it back together and in the process I found the cracks in the seatstay of the ftm. I've found another user on here selling his but not sure I really want to invest in something that looks to be discontinued?

Brant, Are there an plans to re-vamp the FTM in the future?
    Man, sorry to hear about your FTM. Unfortunately, there is not much more to say about the FTM that has not already been said...