mtbr member

freeride lowers...

so i picked up a used HH100X not too long ago. right off the bat, i ordered up the freeride chainstays. Charles said i wouldn't really need them...i didn't listen.

they came in not too long ago, and i have yet to put them on. i fail to see a benefit. the clearance gained is negated by the fact that the bridge on the seatstays limits lug size. i'm running 2.5 Larsen TTs and that's about as snug as i can go, which is good because i love that tire for just about all the trails here in Austin that i ride on a regular basis. i might be able to get a hair wider with the new stays, but i can't get anything taller.

as such, i see no point in putting on the new stays. at some point, did Titus alter the seatstay bridge somehow, or is this how it's always been?

i guess they might be a little stiffer, but i'm not good enough for that to matter. am i missing something? i'm not concerned with it, either way, just curious. should've listened.

anyone want some new chainstays?

ಠ_ಠ
    I ran a Specialized Adrenaline 2.0 and a Kenda Nevegal 2.1, both UST version and they both rubbed a ridge into the chainstay before I got the FR lowers. Plus, I had zero mud clearance. I haven't run into a problem with the seatstay bridge although the Adrenaline was close. A couple of people here have said that a 2.35 Nevegal rubbed. Also, the Specialized Enduro 2.2 will not fit either.

I was bummed that the side knobs on 2.0 and 2.1 inch tires wouldn't fit so for me the FR lowers were totally worth it.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    I ran a Specialized Adrenaline 2.0 and a Kenda Nevegal 2.1, both UST version and they both rubbed a ridge into the chainstay before I got the FR lowers. Plus, I had zero mud clearance. I haven't run into a problem with the seatstay bridge although the Adrenaline was close. A couple of people here have said that a 2.35 Nevegal rubbed. Also, the Specialized Enduro 2.2 will not fit either.

I was bummed that the side knobs on 2.0 and 2.1 inch tires wouldn't fit so for me the FR lowers were totally worth it.
    I had the same experience as Dulyebr. I had mud clearance problems, and I prefered to put some wider tires on it. The lowers have been great. I have a Nevegal DTC 2.1 and have lot's of room to spare for mud. I think I could have put a Nev 2.35 without problems, but I just don't want to go that wide.

the 36 year old grom
    1. the RX seat stay is totaly different then the ML seat stay
    2. the FR lowers allow me to run 8 inch rear brakes.

"El Whatever"
    I have not had the problems Duly had with the Adrenaline 2.0... but I must admit that it's a tight fit and I'm a true light weight at 140.

IMHO, a tyre up to 2.2 REAL, fits just fine on the regular "XC" lowers. A tight fit for almost anything BUT sticky clay mud.

If you need a larger tyre than a real 2.2 or if you have sticky mud as a ride partner, then the FR lowers are your ticket.

Also, keep your rim size under 19mm inner width. Over that rim width, most tyres will get bigger. I guess mine are around 18mm.

Check Shiggy's tyre site as a guide for tyre widths and how rim width affects tyre size.
    Check my Site

ಠ_ಠ
    I think one of the problems is that the rear wheel is pushed further into the frame on the ML; further than on the RX or the SB. So even though the ML, RX and SB had the same lowers, the ML had less clearance.

mtbr member
    so, i suppose since mud clearance isn't an issue, and regardless, my tire size is limited...there really is no reason to switch chainstays. off to eBay they go.

Members who have read this thread: 0