mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Frame size question to FTM/Motolite owners?

Considering to go with the new FTM, but having trouble in selecting the correct frame size. I'm 6' even with 33" inseam. My current bike has effective TT 24" and I think that's quite ok. The large FTM is closer to that with its 24.25", but actually I'd rather go downwards with 0.25" from my current TT measure than upwards. So, I find myself totally in between the medium and the large FTM's.

I also checked the fit calculator on competitive cyclist and was quite surprised of the shortish TT recommendation it gave me. AM fit TT was 23" - 23.4" and XC fit 23.5" - 23.9". Based on these results I should definitely go with the medium FTM. Have anybody else tried the fit calculator out?

One thing that is confusing me a bit is the extremely long seat tube on the large FTM. Standover seems ok so I guess it doesn't matter, but anyways it still jumped out as a detail... Wonder why it has to be that long..?

BTW, has Titus offered an XL size Motolite at some point? Somehow I would feel more confident on going with the large if there would be one frame size larger than it available, because now it's kind of funny that I as the regular 6' guy should go with the largest size of four.

So, pls help me out here by posting your FTM/Motolite frame size, your length/inseam and some comments on what you would do based on your experience with your Titus. As it can be read between the lines here, I'm new to Titus, just got very interested of the FTM but unfortunately not having a possibility to test ride it..

I love Pisgah
    I'm 5'-11.5" w 33" insm and went with a M ML. Seems a 23.5" TT is what works for me. My medium Intense Spider(19") and large Giant XTC(19") carbon/alum hybrid, both have 23.5 TTs. My 18.5 NRS is also I think 23.5" TT and my other L(20.5") NRS is 24.5" TT. The 24.5" TT(I'm between the two sizes) feels abit too long for.me in comparison.

No, theres no XL as far I've ever known. If there was, the L would prolly be the right size for bothof us.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

5' 11.5" - 33 inseam - Medium

5' 11.5" - 33" real inseam - Medium Motolite.
    110 stem
    feels great
    what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    6' even with a 34" inseam and I had a L motolite. Felt great.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by soslow
    6' even with a 34" inseam and I had a L motolite. Felt great.
    same

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    6'1" 35"inseam. I ride a large and switch between a 120 and 90 stems, depending on how I want the bike to feel. I couldn't imagine you on a smaller bike at only an inch shorter in the legs. I think anyone over 6'3" would be to big for the large, IMO. Titus' cost benefit analysis must have determined that it wasn't worth building an xl in the motolite, but they do build one in the racerx. Titus told my 6'3.5" friend that he was probably too big for the large el guapo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Medium FTM,90mm stem, I am 5'10" with a 31" inseam. The medium FTM has tons of standover height, even for short legged guys like myself.

If I were 6' with a 33" inseam I would probably go for the large and run a 50-60mm stem,

one sick puppy
    I'm 6'0 with a 33" pants inseam and I ride a large Moto. I rode a medium in the parking lot and for me it felt a bit cramped. Got a large and it feels great.
    Saddle up, Effendi. We ride.

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

I'm nearly Identical....

I chose the Med ML and it fits and feels great, but If I had to do it over again I'd get the Large. As my riding continues to evolve I'd like to run a shorter stem and get more downhill stability (longer WB) out of my FS bikes.

Regards,

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich.

mtbr member
    I am the same size as you and went with a L Motolite, with a 100mm stem. There is no wa I would have been happy with a medium as the top tube would have been too short.

As for the seat tube length, I would say not to spend too much time thinking about whether it is "too long" or not. The seat tube is longer than any mountain bike I have ever owned, but it really makes no difference.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    My current XC FS ETT 22.1" w/ 50mm stem w/ flat bar.

I'm 5'4" with a 27.5" inseam.

Went to my LBS to try a ML-1. I was hoping they had an x-small. All they had instock was a small ML-1 w/o pedals. I did not test ride it. Standover is fine, Cockpit seamed ok, due to the riser bar maybe?

LBS said small ML-1 might be fine for me. I'd like to think so too, longer wheel base. Wishful thinking on my part. I know I should try a x-small. You 6ft guys are riding mediums!

mtbr member

Road Bike Calculator

I went to the Competitive Cyclist site and the only calculator I found was for road fitting. It put me at a top tube about 2.5 inches shorter than what I am comfortable with. Found another article that stated that top tubes should be the same for road as mountain, that does not seem to jive with geometry comparisons I have done with my road and mountain bikes but I am not an expert.
    Last edited by mdb1974; 03-14-2009 at 09:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Me and my girlfriend are close in height. Her at 5'9", and me at 5'10". She rides a medium Motolite, and I ride a large.

I am a little leggy. More like a 6'1" person in leg length. For me to have my heel resting on the pedal at the bottom of the stroke puts the top of the seat 37.5" from the top of the pedal to top of seat with crank inline with seat tube.

I use a 90mm stem, and a Thompson seatpost with no setback, and the bike fits me excellent. My arm reach is only 71" from finger tip to finger tip.

I have 7" of seatpost out. If I rode my gf's medium, I would have almost 9" of post exposed, and also I think the front would feel a little low.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Thanks!

So I decided to go with the large frame, I placed the order today..

Kind of hate missing out on the neat decals detail of ano models as I decided to go with the white one. However, the white frame along with my white Float will look great with some red ano components such as the CK headset, bottom bracket and hubs I'm going with.. Other components coming from my current ride are ie. x.0 rear and shifters, xtr front, Formula Oro Puro brakes, Truvativ Noir TNT cranks, easton cnt post/bar, selle slr kit carbonio sattle, and so on. It's going to be one hell of a ride, can't wait!