Titus Founder Chris Cocalis Departs After 16 Years

JULY 06, 2006 -- TEMPE, AZ (BRAIN)—Chris Cocalis, Titus Cycles' founder and president, left the company June 30.

Cocalis founded the company in 1991 with the vision of developing flexible manufacturing processes for building high-quality custom titanium frames. In 2001 Titus Cycles merged with composites technology firm Vyatek Sports. Cocalis retained equity in both companies and secured a five-year contract as part of the deal.

Cocalis decided to leave when negotiations over a new contract failed last month.

“The things that they proposed in the new contract were not really in my best interest. For me it was better to sell my interest in both companies now than to agree to basically stay there as an employee. I owned and developed and ran the place for 15 years, and it was time for me to explore other opportunities,” Cocalis said.

“Of course, after 15 years here, I regret that we couldn’t come to an agreement that will work for both companies,” he added.

Pat Hus, Titus Cycles’ chief executive officer, said the company would miss Cocalis’ product development expertise.

“For the past year and a half we worked together in tandem really well,” said Hus, who joined Titus last April. “Unfortunately, we couldn’t get past the contractual terms. Chris had wealth of knowledge in terms of product and we’re going to miss him around here.”

Cocalis plans to stay in the industry in some capacity. He can be reached at (480) 753-0153 or chris.cocalis@cox.net.