mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm This forum is boring: here is my MotoLite Revival project

I dunno... been lurking this forum for a long while now and it keeps getting less and less traffic. Don't get me wrong, this is a GREAT source of archived information and set-up details that is rather invaluable. Nevermind the constant El Guapo discussion, even if it is winding down a lot...

It's just... this forum got boring lately. Where did the passion go???

So here are a couple photos to showcase the finished product of my MotoLite Revival project. Technically, I sat on my ass for 3 years on this project. And yes, Titusbro, this IS your old frame...

Key words: 2005, Fox Vanilla RLC, Cane Creek Double Barrel, 2x10 X9 clutch drivetrain, Chris King, Race Face, Shimano, and general kickass. More details later. Set-Up and First Ride went very well and I plan to rock this bike for a long time... last 2 photos are Pat's old set-up.

If you can't see all 4 photos please let me know
    also known as Plaid Shirt Guy...

mtbr member
    Really nice. Looking at that bike, now almost a 9 year old design, you really appreciate how beautiful a bike the ML was.

How do you like the coil in back? Did you ever ride the bike with the Float to compare with?
    Last edited by Vespasianus; 08-07-2014 at 03:57 PM.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    How do you like the coil in back? Did you ever ride the bike with the Float to compare with?
    When I first picked-up the bike and re-assembled it from shipping I did one late-season ride in November, but I don't recall much about the performance of the air shock other than the ProPedal was super annoying (to me) even at the lowest setting. I doubt it's ever going to go back on the bike...

I only have a couple shake-down laps on my street and 1 trail ride on the ML so far. Obviously the suspension settings are not figured out yet, especially with the Double Barrel. Fork and shock felt "good enough" after twisting a couple adjustment dials so I rode about 15km of trails the other night. Got to love the small-bump performance of coil springs front & rear! But I'm biased, my first "real" fork was a Z2 Atom Bomb.

So far with the coil in the back, I can see the pedal bob moving the rocker link, I can sorta feel it in the seat of my pants, but like the EG it doesn't bother me. The ML has a lot of "pop" to it, airs out over small lips very easily, but maybe I'm just used to my El Guapo and the burly mid-30's pound build.

Let me get some more seat time in for a proper ride report. I'm editing photos from the build and will flush-out this post in the next week or so.
    also known as Plaid Shirt Guy...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Sweet, had that exact van rlc setup (cept different carbon seat post and black stem w/ the risers)

mtbr member
    ML was a sweet bike.

mtbr member

Memories

Made me go down memory lane. Here is a pic when I first got mine from WrenchScience, I paid almost 6 grand for that bike in 2006, boy did I pay too much. Awesome bike for its time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails This forum is boring: here is my MotoLite Revival project-motlite3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    Made me go down memory lane. Here is a pic when I first got mine from WrenchScience, I paid almost 6 grand for that bike in 2006, boy did I pay too much. Awesome bike for its time.
    Oh yea.. those were the days of "superwide 660-680 bars and +/-100mm stems

RHRF!
    VR - Great to see the old girl still kickin'!

I dug up an old pic of it's first build - Nov. 2005!

But I also agree with your assessment of the Titus forum. The lack of interest is directly related to the 'stagnation' that On-One has created for the brand...

RHRF on that ML!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

from another thread

Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    Per my email exchange with Brandon a cpl weeks ago when i inquired about a new 2015 el guapo his reply was they will not be producing them any longer and instead focusing their attention on long travel bikes for the future.
    New Titus in 2015?
    Name:  popcorn21ki.gif
Views: 181
Size:  4.2 KB

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

2005, 2005.5, and 2006 ML....

I still have and ride routinely my medium 2005 Titus Motolite. Mine is frame #3 (Pearl White) off the Kinesis line.... the welds on that ML are still the most beautiful of any AL bike I've owned. I bought the frame in December 2004 from RTR in Anchorage, AK, and built it up that winter. Upgraded to the FR stays - immediately when I got the bike. I cracked the AL seat-stays in 2006 in Utah and replaced them with the carbon ones... which are still going strong to this day. Pushed the Shox and Fork. The build is still a respectable 28-pounds. The bike still rides like a dream. It's been all over the US, but it remains in great condition since I spend much more saddle time on both my commuter and fat-bike.

It's still a very relavent design to this day and it's "THE" bike I use to measure all other trail bikes by. There are better bikes out there, but not by much in comparison which is amazing given all the changes over the last 10 years. CC built a legend in the ML frame-set... which is why Pivot will be getting more of my money this winter since the ML DNA is alive and well there. Time to retire the ML and move onto CC's newest stuff.

Thanks for bring up some of the old Titus classics.

I'll post a current picture of it.... still a looker.

Update: I washed the bike... and it still just glows in the dark. Pictures were taken this morning. Frame 2005, FR stays, 2005.5, and Seat-stay 2006. Reminds me of that Johnny Cash song.... "One Piece At A Time."

Regards,

EndUser
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails This forum is boring: here is my MotoLite Revival project-dscn1293.jpg  

This forum is boring: here is my MotoLite Revival project-dscn1294.jpg  

This forum is boring: here is my MotoLite Revival project-dscn1289.jpg  

This forum is boring: here is my MotoLite Revival project-dscn1291.jpg  

Last edited by EndUser; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:48 PM. Reason: Added pictures
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EndUser View Post
    I still have and ride routinely my medium 2005 Titus Motolite. Mine is frame #3 (Pearl White) off the Kinesis line.... the welds on that ML are still the most beautiful of any AL bike I've owned. I bought the frame in December 2004 from RTR in Anchorage, AK, and built it up that winter. Upgraded to the FR stays - immediately when I got the bike. I cracked the AL seat-stays in 2006 in Utah and replaced them with the carbon ones... which are still going strong to this day. Pushed the Shox and Fork. The build is still a respectable 28-pounds. The bike still rides like a dream. It's been all over the US, but it remains in great condition since I spend much more saddle time on both my commuter and fat-bike.

It's still a very relavent design to this day and it's "THE" bike I use to measure all other trail bikes by. There are better bikes out there, but not by much in comparison which is amazing given all the changes over the last 10 years. CC built a legend in the ML frame-set... which is why Pivot will be getting more of my money this winter since the ML DNA is alive and well there. Time to retire the ML and move onto CC's newest stuff.

Thanks for bring up some of the old Titus classics.

I'll post a current picture of it.... still a looker.

Regards,

EndUser
    That is great to hear. I actually remember your bike as it was one of the best looking bikes on the ML build thread. I greatly regret selling my bike.

As people are posting pics of their old ML, here is mine in its last days...

This forum is boring: here is my MotoLite Revival project-img_1012.jpg
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

I love Pisgah
    Still have mine, being an 08(still was a US made). Got it down to the mid 22lb range with all my best race stuff like Stans Olympic wheels, 4ti Eggs, Flite TT saddle, alum front rotor, hope Mini's, Ti bars, ti bottom bracket spindle, all alum/ti bolts, Thomson Masterpiece post(ti bolts), etc. Low 24lb with heavier trail wheels/2.4 tires, steel rotors, etc. Even won a few XC and point to point enduro type races with it.

Won this pertic race on it. Snake Creek Gap TT. Crazy technical.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    That thing is a beauty, OP! I personally love my 2009 ML2, such a great trail bike.

And here she is in action:

I really want to try an angelset and a 140mm fork setup next year. We shall see