mtbr member
    May 2006

formula k24's on new ML

First, let me throw in a disclaimer, I have limited exp w/ disc brakes and these were new on a new bike. That being said, here's the review of the oro's:
    these brakes are way easy to adjust for lever control, the design really does make mechanical and common sense. levers are real solid and don't slap around the way some others (hayes) do. brakes are quiet, even wet. they did become noisy as hell today but after I looked at them and noticed that the outer front pad was rubbing the rotor, took all of 2 min to adjust and they are silent once again. The only other brakes I've used on a ML are the avid juicy so I guess that is what I will use as reference. first off, the formulas are QUIET, which is not how I would describe the avid. As for braking, I found the k24's to modulate extremely well and have plenty of power, definitely, in my opinion, better than avid in both areas. All I can say is I really stopped being aware that I was using the brakes, fingers were just going on their own, tcob. the control was pretty amazing and effortless, really, REALLY enjoying these brakes! Anyway, hope this helps and no offense meant to you avid guys/gals out there. Peace!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

I'm glad to hear that...

It's funny, but I'm (almost) in the same situation than you are. Owned Avid Juicy 7 and now I'm going to use Formula K24 (185/160). Certainly, my expectations are these K24 will outperform the Avid J7, but I'm waiting for my new ML (and some other parts that would be shipped soon) and so I'm still waiting to build the bike and test the new brakes. Your review has been quite interesting.

Probably by the middle of July I'll be replying this thread to talk about my own experience (hopefully as good as yours)

mtbr member
    May 2005

line lengths??

I have an '05 large ML frame and I plan on using the k24's. I see the formula has three brake line lengths listed. What lengths did you use foor front and rear?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

For each side?

Three lengths for each size? Haven't noticed that, but then use the one that fits your frame better. If your bike has hydros already, take current hose length as a reference and if not, you can make a good estimated using some brake cable housing and some zip ties. By the way, mine were 100cm front and 150cm rear (which should be plenty for most frames) but it won't be until I get my frame that I'll know if they need to be cut (my guess is that they won't). Anyway, they come with all necessary fittings and ends to cut the length to your needs.

Hope it helps.