mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fix old or buy new rockstar?

I have been riding the 2011 aluminum rockstar since my shop could get one and have loved it (and podiumed quite a few times on it). Soon after the change of ownership I began having an issue with the drive side chain stay/seatstay pivot where the actual metal insert in the frame became loose. I epoxied it in real good and it stayed for a while, but it recently became very noticeable so I took the joint apart and the insert came out.

So, i'm debating wether or not i'd rather spend $250 on a new chainstay or $1200 for an entire new carbon frame set. My frame is the largest that was available. I'm 6'4" and always assumed it was an xl, but only see large listed for either model. My lbs measured me/ordered everything else i'd know. Is the carbon large big enough? I know the geometry has changed a little...

Has the weight decreased at all? I've read it's stiffer so I imagine it's beefy.

As i'm deeming this chain stay unridable at the moment, i'm going to research a bearing set-up instead of the bushings. If anyone from Titus has info on what you've tried and what hasn't worked please pm me.

Also, what is the warrantee now?

mtbr member
    My large carbon Rockstar weighed 5.86 lbs with the shock, the aluminum version was about a pound heavier. I'm 6' and the large is a good fit, not sure about you being 6'-4"? I'm pretty sure they have new stays in Portland, give them a call.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    My large carbon Rockstar weighed 5.86 lbs with the shock, the aluminum version was about a pound heavier. I'm 6' and the large is a good fit, not sure about you being 6'-4"? I'm pretty sure they have new stays in Portland, give them a call.
    Wow... you had that much difference?

I have a V1 alu Rockstar in Medium (that anybody else would call large) and it was 6.25 lbs nekkid with no seat collar.

I would be all over a carbon Rockstar if the headtube were a bit shorter so I could fit a Lefty on it.

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    I have a V1 alu Rockstar in Medium (that anybody else would call large) and it was 6.25 lbs nekkid with no seat collar.
    Sounds @ right, the number I saw bandied about in older Rockstar threads were listing the frame weight @ 6.25 lbs. The carbon version isn't all that much lighter. My " medium" RX29 frame weighs 6.25 lbs [with the seat collar].
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I went ahead and bought a large carbon rockstar while working on my swingarm.

My new frame weighs 6lb 6 oz with shock and seat collar, no der. hanger....

I didn't get any sort of manual/warranty card or anything besides a receipt with the new frame. Any tips on cable routing before I zoom in on others' photos to see how they did it?

The front derailleur I bought did not come with a fixing bolt. Is it just a short m6 bolt?

In the mean time, I did manage to work out getting a cartridge bearing to work on my old swingarm and have about 30 miles on it without any problems...pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Wow, my large was 5.86 lbs with shock, collar, & hanger. The cable routing is pretty straight forward, I had to remove the barb and olive on my rear brake house to get it to fit through the hole in the frame, kind of a PITA but?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New carbon rockstar

Fix old or buy new rockstar?-photo-2.jpg
    Large frame built into 26.2lbs. Could be 25.5 without the ergon's, but they're a life saver...

Stiffer in a sprint, but smoother on the trail than the aluminum frame. Nice to have a rear shock setting that actually makes the ride almost locked out. "Pro Pedal" on the old frame/shock wasn't noticable to me. Flipped this one to the lock out setting to ride to the trail and it almost like riding a hard tail with a little give.

mtbr member
    Nice...You are going to love it.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by speed856 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-2.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	827041
    Large frame built into 26.2lbs. Could be 25.5 without the ergon's, but they're a life saver...

Stiffer in a sprint, but smoother on the trail than the aluminum frame. Nice to have a rear shock setting that actually makes the ride almost locked out. "Pro Pedal" on the old frame/shock wasn't noticable to me. Flipped this one to the lock out setting to ride to the trail and it almost like riding a hard tail with a little give.
    Nice!
    Would love some more pics and a speclist.