Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008

fitting Nokons to motolite

Just ordered a set of Nokon gear cables and was curious about fitting to my 08 motolite frame.

Do I run the aluminium beads from shifter to front underside of top tube and the just run the teflon sheath to the rear of the top tube before running more beads down through the rear suspension to the rear deraileur or do I need to run beads the whole length?

Do I need to drillout the cable mounts?

im not sure thats clear so if anyone has any pics or experiences they could share I would be grateful

thx
    Ian

mtbr member

Just the teflon sheath between the cable stops

You dont need to drill out the stops, however I had to buy extra pieces to complete my bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    maybe Im being dumb (but hey, not as dumb as Nokon selling a top dollar product with some of the worst English translations Ive ever seen) but anyway.

My front dérailleur inner sheath is 6" too short to reach to the rear seatstay mount on its own, am i supposed to cut this back and then use the second run to complete the install.
    There are two front inner sheaths included but I really want to be sure before I take cutters to anything...

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    sorted :-)

Ended up using the rear cable for the front as it allowed a nice continuous run to the rear seatpost mount and using two fronts to run tot he rear triangle mount near the seattube in one run and down to the deraileur in another. Looks neat and sure it will be resilient against the elements.

thanks Craig for your pointers - Ill get some pics of my install up for others to see for future ref.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    I wanted to update this thread to help anyone in future thinking of installing Nokons.

Being a perfectionist, well some of the time I decided I wasnt happy witht he join in the rear cable run so I bought the extension kit as Craig suggested and found that the included inner liner was enough to do a single run to the rear dérailleur and of course, this isnt ideal.

I also managed to reuse the smaller nokon sections to facilitate a nicer curve onto the seatpost.

Actuation is now spot on. Ive ordered some 1.2 powercordz cables too to see if that can improve things further. They wroked out about £25 shipped to Englad to so no big deal if they dont.

Ive updated my build thread here too...new Motolite Ti user