mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fit & handling: Motolite vs. Locomoto

I'm looking for a replacement for my beloved Loco. It fit me good (size small) and was well suited to how/where I like to ride, so I'm looking for something very similar. How does a Motolite set up for 4 inches travel front & rear compare? Anyone here spend time on both bikes and can comment?

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by gf99
    I'm looking for a replacement for my beloved Loco. It fit me good (size small) and was well suited to how/where I like to ride, so I'm looking for something very similar. How does a Motolite set up for 4 inches travel front & rear compare? Anyone here spend time on both bikes and can comment?
    I've had both and had no trouble with the transition. I really have not spent alot of time with the travel set @ 4"on the ML, so I can't comment on that, but I would imagine you'd be fine. I went from a medium to a medium. Fit is perfect. The biggest benefits for me were the increased travel and losing the brake jack that was so bad on the Loco. I'am sure others smarter then me will soon post up. I'd say go for it! The ML is crazy versatile.

Glutton for punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by gf99
    Anyone here spend time on both bikes and can comment?
    I used to have a Loco, Size L, and rode it anywhere and everywhere. While looking at possible replacements, I test rode the same sized Motolite more than once on the same rides as the Loco. The fit is nearly the same, I felt comfortable right away on the ML. I thought it felt like a good evolution of the bike that the Loco was - similar size and handling with better suspension action and better tire clearance. If I didn't want a far stouter bike, I would have gone for a Motolite.

Get one, ride it, enjoy!

ScottN

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I've moved from LM small to ML small, but I upped the travel to 130mm x 130mm, since the fork was taller, I went with shorter stem 90mm vs. 100mm on LM. Handling is just slightly slower, but ML feels much better over bumps if you open up the RP23 shock, in one of the pro pedal positions ML feels very firm in the back though there is always more pedal induced compression than on the LM with RP3. Both bikes were built up to 25.8 lbs, despite the fact that ML is a little heavier than LM - the weight savings were made in the parts.

On personal note - I think LM had nicer welds than ML, but then again does that matter anymore?

As others pointed out ML is incredibly versatile bike capable satysfying many different riding styles and conditions.

Hope this helps a little.

Emax