Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

First look at the 2010 Stump Jumper

Here is the first look at the 2010 Stump Jumper, complements of Mountain Bike Magazine. Oh suprise, it looks like a Racer-x. Well if your going to copy, you might as well copy the best.

http://bicycling.com/blogs/mbword/20.../?preview=true

Sopwithcamel

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    That is CRAZY light for a bike with that much travel.

mtbr member
    When I first heard about the new link, I thought it was going to be more like a ML but the swing link is really small! The move to 140 is nice and should increase the competition with the FTM.

"El Whatever"
    Propietary fork, bb and shock?? Thank you but no thank you.

Fortunately, you can "cheap" out and get the plain bike without the propietary gizmos...

"5,499 = Sworks (S140TA fork, full SRAM XX groupset with Sworks crank arms)
    2,999 = Expert Carbon (Fox 32 Talas RL)
    2,199 = Elite (M5 frame, custom triad)
    1,799 = Comp (M5 frame, custom triad)"

OTOH... Interrupted seat tubes are so 2004...

That shock reminds me of the one on the 90's Racer-X with a solid end and the one on the Giant Pistol more recently. There's a reason why market moved in the opposite direction back in the day.

Oh, btw... they're being sued by Notubes because of patent infringement on their rims and wheelsets...
    Check my Site

Ultimated Outsider
    Wow this make me want to go out and buy a Specialize, NOT. and it looks like an FTM. Copy or Die.
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

K n e e m o i
    I thought notubes lawsuit was over.....

Wouldn't it be curious to see the responses for this on the Spesh board.

Also, how can you have a 22.5 lb trail bike with 1400g wheels, and still be able to use 140mm of travel? Am I missing something here?
    Last edited by Daffunda; 06-29-2009 at 08:24 PM.
    "Prison sports are really fun. I get used as a frisbee, a dartboard, and a second base!" - Kneemoi

NOT Team Sanchez
    The only time I forced myself to see Specialized anything is when I removed the patent sticker from the inside of my swingarm when I bought my Guap.
    I like bikes.

Paper or plastic?
    Apparently, they no longer use the 25mm hubs. Sucks for the guys stuck with them.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffunda
    I thought notubes lawsuit was over.....
    Is it??? I don't know. It may be news for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Daffunda
    Also, how can you have a 22.5 lb trail bike with 1400g wheels, and still be able to use 140mm of travel? Am I missing something here?
    Simple... use 50% sag and set the Brain to MAX.
    Check my Site

Chris Bling

eew

I just threw up in my mouth a little....
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    dustyduke......

If your spewing now, just wait till some old foggie passes you on the trail because his bike is five pounds lighter then yours.

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by sopwithcamel
    dustyduke......

If your spewing now, just wait till some old foggie passes you on the trail because his bike is five pounds lighter then yours.

haha when an old foggie "passes on the trail" its going to be because he dies when his bike fails

love your grammer
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    That's what happens when you over edit your own comments.

"El Whatever"
    dustyduke......

Light is great until it breaks.

I can't pass my folks on FR/DH bikes on my skinny trailbike anyways... so why bother go lighter??
    Check my Site

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Light is great until it breaks.

I can't pass my folks on FR/DH bikes on my skinny trailbike anyways... so why bother go lighter??

I always figured it was a lot cheaper to lose five pounds off your gut that lose five pounds off your bike.

I am completely fine with having a bike that weighs more than the next guy. Its amazing how your body adapts to push a little extra weight up a hill. Plus, when i a cruising down a rocky trail, i am not worrying about my bike snapping. Cant say the same about a rig that "weighs 5 pounds lighter" than mine
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Five pounds is five pounds no mater where it comes from. The medium S-works stumpy weighs 23.4 lbs. The M5 aluminum frame version weighs only 200 grams heavier then the top of the line version.

That being said, I can remeber when aluminum mountain bikes were new to the market. Everyone was scared of them because they assumed aluminum would buckle like an aluminum beer can. Which was really odd because everyone had riding aluminum rims for the last 10 years.

When Easton first brought out their aluminum tubing they looked at the chromoly fames of the day and designed their tubing so it would have equivilant strength. They did the same thing when they brought out their line of carbon components they took the best aluminum bars and designed for equivilant strength. In fact because the market was skeptical of carbon they actually designed for double the fatigue life.

I think the next step for carbon frames will be into the all mountain catagory. The frame designers are going to put a layer or two of heavy weave carbon fiber ( bascily a turtle shell) around the load carrying part of the frame. Its going to be interesting to see how the market re-acts to this.

Sopwithcamel

Chris Bling
    Five pounds is five pounds no mater where it comes from. The medium S-works stumpy weighs 23.4 lbs. The M5 aluminum frame version weighs only 200 grams heavier then the top of the line version.

That being said, I can remeber when aluminum mountain bikes were new to the market. Everyone was scared of them because they assumed aluminum would buckle like an aluminum beer can. Which was really odd because everyone had riding aluminum rims for the last 10 years.

When Easton first brought out their aluminum tubing they looked at the chromoly fames of the day and designed their tubing so it would have equivilant strength. They did the same thing when they brought out their line of carbon components they took the best aluminum bars and designed for equivilant strength. In fact because the market was skeptical of carbon they actually designed for double the fatigue life.

I think the next step for carbon frames will be into the all mountain catagory. The frame designers are going to put a layer or two of heavy weave carbon fiber ( bascily a turtle shell) around the load carrying part of the frame. Its going to be interesting to see how the market re-acts to this.

Sopwithcamel
    if there is one thing that i have learned being in the bike industry is carbon is super strong and super light.......and prone to explode! In my opinion, carbon for sure has its place in the biking world. Perhaps xc racing bikes and DH bikes (haha not! dont know what GT is thinking). I have been in the industry long enough now to see almost every carbon bike that has come through the shop fail. Either the chain stay, the seat stay, or both. Even see a couple carbon rockers explode. The true "all mountain" rider will want a bike that will hold up to reasonable abuse time after time. If i had a carbon bike that was ''5 pounds lighter'', i would not be able to have the confidence that i have on my 'old school' aluminum bike.

Like i said before, carbon does has its place. It will not keep up with the aluminum or steel bikes when the carbon is scratched or crashed. You take a hard digger on a carbon bike, you have no idea of knowing if the structure has been compromised. and if it fails, it will be all at once. At least with aluminum, if you take a hard digger, you can inspect for cracks or other structural owies.

As of right now, the carbon technology has not come far enough for me to trust it. Sure its light and sure its bling, but i want a little more...
    Affordable Custom Wheels

"El Whatever"
    Five pounds is five pounds no mater where it comes from.
    Sopwithcamel
    Come on... you're so good an engineer to make such statement.

200grs saved on a frame is nothing against 50grs saved at wheels and you know that.

Best way to "lighten up" a bike is to reduce the rotating mass and the unsprung mass.

Light tires and light wheels make a fast bike, not a light frame.

Now, I'd like to see carbon rims coming down in price... I'd be all over them. Unless you actually break them or bust your spokes, you can't get them out of true.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I think GT is thinking if you crash hard enough to blow up an over built carbon frame you will probably be dead or in a wheel chair. In ethier case your bike will be the last of your worries.

I agree being able to inspect for damage on an aluminum frame is certainly one of the advantages of the material. Carbon frames are a little bit more difficult in that respect as you have to do it by sound (tap test).

Happy Trails,

Sopwithcamel

Ultimated Outsider
    dustyduke......

Problem with that theory is that the old foggie will probably be on a Ti bike because he knows better and he also knows that a lighter bike will not make you faster unless the weight is reduce in the right places.
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Warp, your right about carbon wheels. But because aluminum rims have had 30 years to perfect there procecss, it going to take some time for carbon rims to surpass them. But with carbon high strength and stifness it's only a matter of time.

Happy Trails,

Sopwithcamel

"El Whatever"
    Warp, your right about carbon wheels. But because aluminum rims have had 30 years to perfect there procecss, it going to take some time for carbon rims to surpass them. But with carbon high strength and stifness it's only a matter of time.

Happy Trails,

Sopwithcamel
    I'm a troglodite, caveman-like carbonophobe... but I see how it can be used (and it is) for some parts like handlebars, XC frames, etc... and rims.

I'm seriously awaiting for carbon to make it to lower price levels to get a set of those rims.

I'd never get a whole frame out of carbon or a stem... yikes.
    Check my Site

offroader
    Dec 2008
    The evolution of Specialized into Titus... I noticed the 2009 Epic started looking like the Racer-X now the Stumpjumper looks like the FTM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    CupofJava.... Titus accidentally stumbled across the best suspension design with the Racer-X. I use the word stumble because if they actually understood how it worked, they would have patented it long ago. Unfortunately it's to late now to patent it with the Epic, Stumpjumer, and Enduro all using the Design. The only up side of this is Specilizlied does Carbon Fiber better then anyone else in industry. The down side is they use their own suspension components.

Sopwithcamel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava
    The evolution of Specialized into Titus... I noticed the 2009 Epic started looking like the Racer-X now the Stumpjumper looks like the FTM.
    Will this cause friction and force Titus to move away from the HL?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast