mtbr member

First bike build: El Guapo

This is my first bike I've gone this route and while I'm trying to walk the fine line of shopping for deals to keep costs down, but anxious to be done and ride it I was hoping to dig around in all your collective knowledge as I go.

Consensus seems to be a 160mm fork is the sweet spot for the EG? I had a coil pike previously and liked it. As far as a reliable workhorse of a fork, anything stand out as a good value in your opinions? I've been scouring the google and ebay looking at domains, and marzochi 55 types to start. The $ 800+ forks are just too much now.

Paper or plastic?
    I got meself a Lyrik dual air, which I later upgraded to a 2 step. Works for me, and you can find them on eBay for below $700.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    I got meself a Lyrik dual air, which I later upgraded to a 2 step. Works for me, and you can find them on eBay for below $700.
    Is there a dual air Lyric? I thought that the Lyric was Solo Air. Anyway, my Lyric Coil has been working flawlessly and is very plush. It took some rides to break in, but now it's golden.

mtbr member
    So it has come down my last few choices - the fox 36 forks are too much at the moment for me to start unless I happen upon a freakish deal before I order.

Here's what I'm looking at
    Lyrik 2 step
    Lyrik u-turn each of these are sub $600
    Domain 318IS U-Turn 400ish
    Marzocchi 55R or ATA 300-450ish

So I'm finding it easy to get bogged down in the negative reviews, but I'm sure the crowd who has a bad experience is much more vocal than those who are out riding these forks and enjoying them. Any last second input or words of wisdom on any of these forks?

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Scherdy
    So it has come down my last few choices - the fox 36 forks are too much at the moment for me to start unless I happen upon a freakish deal before I order.

Here's what I'm looking at
    Lyrik 2 step
    Lyrik u-turn each of these are sub $600
    Domain 318IS U-Turn 400ish
    Marzocchi 55R or ATA 300-450ish

So I'm finding it easy to get bogged down in the negative reviews, but I'm sure the crowd who has a bad experience is much more vocal than those who are out riding these forks and enjoying them. Any last second input or words of wisdom on any of these forks?
    All the brands can have some problems, and it's easier to focus on the negative rather than positive things.

My Lyric Coil has been pretty good, I think that the 55ATA had problems for the 08 model, haven't heard anything bad on 09.

mtbr member
    I just put a Lyrik Solo Air on my EG. Found it from a local shop mechanic for $450 and have seen them on ebay for similar.

mtbr member
    I'm forced to wait for some other bits to be stocked so I guess that allows me to keep shopping for a better deal on a fork.

The problem is my frame is going to arrive today and I don't know if my wife will appreciate it as home decor as much as I will while it sits in our front room.

Anyway, the questions about minor details continue!

On the question of hubs -
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=17387 which is out of stock in 32h

or the hope 2 (saint) http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=11032

I know the saint one says "Designed for use with the Shimano Saint Mech, using Shimano's Saint axle or Hopes version of the same (available to order). Also suitable with any 10mm bolt through axle." so that means a 10mm skewer type deal right?

I'm confused about the terminology with bolt up, bolt through, and whatnot. If I want bolt up, my option is to wait for the first choice, correct?

Bolt up =/= bolt through

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scherdy
    I'm forced to wait for some other bits to be stocked so I guess that allows me to keep shopping for a better deal on a fork.

The problem is my frame is going to arrive today and I don't know if my wife will appreciate it as home decor as much as I will while it sits in our front room.

Anyway, the questions about minor details continue!

On the question of hubs -
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=17387 which is out of stock in 32h

or the hope 2 (saint) http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=11032

I know the saint one says "Designed for use with the Shimano Saint Mech, using Shimano's Saint axle or Hopes version of the same (available to order). Also suitable with any 10mm bolt through axle." so that means a 10mm skewer type deal right?

I'm confused about the terminology with bolt up, bolt through, and whatnot. If I want bolt up, my option is to wait for the first choice, correct?

Bolt up =/= bolt through
    Unless you're going to use this bike as a FR bike, I'd go with the Hope hubs. They're inexpensive, available in many colors, not too heavy and reliable.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    While I went with the 09 36 Talas RC2, I believe I could have gotten away with an 08 36 Float. I rarely use the variable travel. The float is about a quater pound lighter and can easily be found for well under $600. I picked the Talas up for around 700.

The Vanilla may also be appropriate if you are not concerned about weight.

mtbr member

Heffe for my El Guap

So as I wait, and search, and research...I came across a local who has an 07 float 36 rc2 but the tube has been cut to 7.5"

I'm going to find measurements on the ordered parts, add it all up and see if it might work but any of you who are much more experienced with this have any first impressions about a tube that length?

This at least gives me some hope that I should be in the ballpark.
    Help me build my El Guapo

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    If you have a small frame, you may be able to get away with it. I think 8" is the min for me on a medium. I have a very long torso for my height though. But in the end, it comes down to your riding style and body make up.

mtbr member

A plethora of wheels?

So all the info was appreciated. Found a lyrik solo air locally that someone was swapping off their bike.

Now while my new dilemma is wheels. My limited knowledge of wheels and a lot of searching has brought up these options:

Hope Pro 2 w/ DT Swiss EX 5.1 rims (20mm thru front, 10mm bolt-up rear)
    Same as above except Mavic XM 819
    Both at CRC for around $370-ish but they only come in black, or black. All out of stock of the pretty bird colors.

One of the Transition wheelsets also are on the list. Transition Revolutions Haven't shopped much for these but the MSRP on the site is in my price range.

Then Azonic Outlaws - heavy but deals for 230ish are hard to ignore especially anodized

Looking for any others you would add to the list in this price bracket. Undecided on UST or tubes for now.

And a plethora of thanks for the help!

The Crow
    I have a '09 36 Float on my Morewood Mbuzi after trying a Solo Air and 2-Step Lyrik. The Float is Majic compared to the others...and I'm a RS fan!
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving