Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    High Alpine Adventure

Is Exogrid Dead?

Would be ashame, but with all the hydroformed Ti on the 2010 site and not a mention of Exogrid, it seems it is dead. Even the Fireline is Hydro.... I also notice that the site doesn't list any road frames, so what's up with Titus?

Well I guess that makes me really want to hold onto my Exogrid Racer-X 29er....
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    No more road bikes
    I had a a chance to demo one 2 years ago but at the time I wasn't in the market for a new road bike, I am now and like you went on the site and didn't see any, so I called them and was told that they are out of the road bike business.... too bad the one that I demoed was sweet.

Paper or plastic?
    Jeff had mentioned something about getting out of the road bike business a year or two ago. As for the Exogrid stuff, it was really Vyatek proprietary technology, so I'm not sure if the new owners can still use it. Might also be that it's too expensive in the current economic situation.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Ti is addictive
    If you do a search there was a big thread on Titus getting out of the road business and why. I love my exogrid bikes and won't part with any of them.

Titus Titanium bikes have been contracted out for the last year or 2 (First ABG and then Lynskey)and the custom stuff isn't done in house either......I think they have a small builder on contract to do those for them. My gut hunch says we will see a mostly Carbon offering with the Titus line up next year (exept EG).
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    If you do a search there was a big thread on Titus getting out of the road business and why. I love my exogrid bikes and won't part with any of them.

Titus Titanium bikes have been contracted out for the last year or 2 (First ABG and then Lynskey)and the custom stuff isn't done in house either......I think they have a small builder on contract to do those for them. My gut hunch says we will see a mostly Carbon offering with the Titus line up next year (exept EG).
    A carbon EG would be sweet though.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I thought you could get an exo frame if you ordered a custom fit but I just checked the website and I don't see anything on ordering custom fit frame. Have they stopped custom order frames too?

searcher
    It is sad. Exogrid is the duck's nuts. It was one of the things that made Titus unique.
    Kovi

banned
    Apr 2010
    There was little to no advantage in exogrid, especially now with tubing technology. Titus is simply a company that got hit really bad and is in bad shape and making the changes, and exogrid, even if available, was not a huge seller, but more for magazine ads.

mtbr member

small builder you speak of http://cycletronix.com/

[QI think they have a small builder on contract to do those for them.UOTE=TiEndo]If you do a search there was a big thread on Titus getting out of the road business and why. I love my exogrid bikes and won't part with any of them.

Titus Titanium bikes have been contracted out for the last year or 2 (First ABG and then Lynskey)and the custom stuff isn't done in house either......I think they have a small builder on contract to do those for them. My gut hunch says we will see a mostly Carbon offering with the Titus line up next year (exept EG).[/QUOTE]

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by junktrunk
    There was little to no advantage in exogrid....
    Not to start an argument, but I totally disagree... having ridden Racer-X's in Alu and Exo, both 26er and 29er, the ride quality of an Exo compared to straight Ti is like Ti compared to Alu!!! The tuning of the Exo tubing made it one of the quietest frames I have ever ridden!!! And let's not talk carbon, my Orbea Alma 29er and Spez S-Works Enduro SL can't touch the ride quality of Exo...

Like I said, makes me want to hold on to them even more!!!

Now did it make business sense? There you may have an argument!!!
    Dug-Da-Goat

High Alpine Adventure
    Uhmmm... interesting! You can't link to it from the site, but it is buried in there...

http://www.titusti.com/2010/technology/exogrid.php

So the question to be begged is can you still get a Exogrid Frame? And if so, what about custom updates like a 135x10 rear swing arm?
    Dug-Da-Goat

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGoat
    Not to start an argument, but I totally disagree... having ridden Racer-X's in Alu and Exo, both 26er and 29er, the ride quality of an Exo compared to straight Ti is like Ti compared to Alu!!! The tuning of the Exo tubing made it one of the quietest frames I have ever ridden!!! And let's not talk carbon, my Orbea Alma 29er and Spez S-Works Enduro SL can't touch the ride quality of Exo...

Like I said, makes me want to hold on to them even more!!!

Now did it make business sense? There you may have an argument!!!
    Business sense? It just depends, I really guess that titus sold a very small percentage of their bikes using Exogrid tubing. It probably costed a lot to mantain the technology for the few sells, I think they went to Ti, Alu and CF bikes because of that.

High Alpine Adventure

Obsolete I guess...

...and if this is Old School, sit me on down...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is Exogrid Dead?-img_3331web.jpg  

Is Exogrid Dead?-img_3332web.jpg  

Dug-Da-Goat

"El Whatever"
    Sad... the amount of high-end brands that actually MAKE bikes is shrinking. Looks like unless you go totally custom, there are just a few makers that actually have a welding shop or lay carbon in house.

Nothing really wrong with that, as long as the bikes keep getting better... I guess?

I've never ridden an Exo, Ti or CF bike, but I don't think ride quality of Exo could be replicated.... it's the combination of materials what makes it unique. As soon as you hop on a CF, Exo or a steel bike it's when it strikes you how different a ride "feel" is from each other.

Is it better or worst? Worth the investment? Who knows... most people don't find any sense on riding the bikes we ride.
    Check my Site

High Alpine Adventure

Comon, tell us what's up!

So Biker Bob, Jeff or any of the brain trust at Titus, what is the status of Exogrid? Are you still doing custom frames and can people order Exogrid?

Enquiring Minds want to know!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Trophy Husband
    So Biker Bob, Jeff or any of the brain trust at Titus, what is the status of Exogrid? Are you still doing custom frames and can people order Exogrid?

Jeff was let go months ago by the "brain trust" at Titus. Titus Mikey currently watches the forum for Titus.

Bikerbob is in Canaduh at the moment and may not be paying too much attention.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    Jeff was let go months ago by the "brain trust" at Titus. Titus Mikey currently watches the forum for Titus.

Bikerbob is in Canaduh at the moment and may not be paying too much attention.
    I hear Titus Mikey was laid-off from Titus about a month ago too. Not sure what's going on over there these days.

banned
    Apr 2010

The real question anyone here should be asking is what the current state of affairs with Titus is, not a limited edition defunct frame material. Or ask if they are going to try and offer it again to Chris Cocalis.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I stopped by this thread to drop a pic of this little lovely (probably the sweetest riding bike I own), but, in seeing a few of the latest responses, I feel I should mention the phone call I made to them today.

Got a totally weird phone message, not the usual one. Asked me to email them, as they were "busy", so I did, no response after several hours.

Anyone? Kinda sad if it got to this, shoulda known it was bad when I got told last year at the show, (rather snarkily) that no one really cared if they were made in the USA, and that most production would be offshore by 2011.......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have been getting the same message since last week, and I am trying to call and purchase a frame for a customer. Not sure what to make of this. Tried texting Mike a few weeks back and no response either. I'll excuse that as being super busy but the office going straight to voicemail makes me a bit concerned as a shop manager.

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    I stopped by this thread to drop a pic of this little lovely (probably the sweetest riding bike I own)...
    WOW!!! A "Full Custom Racer".... you hold onto that thing!!! That is more than just Exo-grid... that's full tilt boogie there!!! NICE!!!
    Dug-Da-Goat

WOW!!! A "Full Custom Racer".... you hold onto that thing!!! That is more than just Exo-grid... that's full tilt boogie there!!! NICE!!!
    Thanks. It was one of the last bikes Chris drafted prior to leaving. At this stage of the game, I'm very glad I got it when I did.

I built the prototype myself just to test some theories, tweaked them a touch, and sent off my plans. HTA, STA, BB height, CS length, TT length, axle to crown height, all mine. My first custom ever, so I went big. Gosh I love this bike.

Exogrid technology is getting stale is what I was told, yeah, ti is too.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Quote Originally Posted by bikescott09
    office going straight to voicemail makes me a bit concerned as a shop manager.
    Yep, my thoughts exactly....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Since everyone else is posting their ride, I'll add mine!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is Exogrid Dead?-motolite1.jpg  

J:
    gone riding
    Dec 2009

Kobe?

Quote Originally Posted by me_not_you
    Since everyone else is posting their ride, I'll add mine!

Oh my, is that a 25 incher??

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillOG
    Oh my, is that a 25 incher??
    Wait.... What?

Just a normal 26 inch wheeled bike ....

J:
    gone riding
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by me_not_you
    Wait.... What?

Just a normal 26 inch wheeled bike ....
    seat tube

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillOG
    seat tube
    Ahh..... Maybe it doesn't look as big as it really is. I'm 6' 5.5". I let my bike shop work out all the details with Titus. This is what came back

I doubt most people could even throw their legs up and over the Top Tube.

Ti is addictive
    Since we are having a eulogy for exogrid, here is my family portrait with 4 of the bikes in exogrid.

I figured exogrid was done when Vyatek the tubing provider gave up ownership of Titus last year.

Hope Titus survives the economy.......I still think we will see a narrowing of boutique bike companies in todays market.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is Exogrid Dead?-mini_disc_pics_007.jpg  

Trophy Husband
    Since we are having a eulogy for exogrid, here is my family portrait with 4 of the bikes in exogrid.
    Whenever my wife begins to complain about the 3 aluminum and 2 steel bikes I have laying around, I pull up a photo of your bike collection. Works every time. Thank you...even though I have deep feelings of inadequacies resulting from said pictures.
    Extreme stationary biker.

Ti is addictive
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    Whenever my wife begins to complain about the 3 aluminum and 2 steel bikes I have laying around, I pull up a photo of your bike collection. Works every time. Thank you...even though I have deep feelings of inadequacies resulting from said pictures.

I need a new family picture, its missing one more Ti bike and 2 aluminum ones as well.

"El Whatever"
    I need a new family picture, its missing one more Ti bike and 2 aluminum ones as well.
    It has more to do with Titus' Hall of Fame than a family portrait!
    Check my Site

High Alpine Adventure

That's one beautiful Family!

...and a great collection of bikes. I've heard you had some sweet steel TiEndo, but now I've seen the goods. Great job pulling all that together!

We'll this is my 26er that I've broken down. The frame is sitting around waiting to be photographed for EBay.... but now that I'm getting the feeling the plug may have been pulled, I'm having some reservations...
    Dug-Da-Goat

High Alpine Adventure

Maybe not dead yet...

Santana is making Tandems with Exogrid... these vids are great explainations about why Exogrid is the bee's knees!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snPqOb1UdPo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6U9xHQunmU

It looks like Devinci is following suite as well....

http://tandemgeek.wordpress.com/2010...yatek-team-up/

This announces the sale of Titus from Vyatek...

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/...tail/1048.html
    Dug-Da-Goat

Ti is addictive
    Dagoat.......personally I wouldn't part with any of my exogrid bikes......you will never get any decent resale in this market. It's a unique frame unless Vyatek can find another Ti builder as a purchaser for the tubesets, it will stay unique.

Ti is addictive
    Dagoat.......personally I wouldn't part with any of my exogrid bikes......you will never get any decent resale in this market. It's a unique frame unless Vyatek can find another Ti builder as a purchaser for the tubesets, it will stay unique.

Get out of town!
    I have a steel exogrid I am building up this week. I am curious to see how you all routed your front deraileur cables since there are no guides on the top tube. Also I didn't even notice that there is no replaceable deraileur hanger before ordering the frame. I hope I never have an issue with that! My only complaints but I can't wait to get it built.
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

Ti is addictive
    edit

High Alpine Adventure
    Color me confused, I assume you are talking about an Exogrid Racer-X which uses a Top Pull Derailuear and the ferrule stop is on the back of the seat tube. Look at the pictures of my Racer-X above.
    Dug-Da-Goat

High Alpine Adventure
    So nothing yet from Titus? Guess Exo is dead!
    Dug-Da-Goat

High Alpine Adventure

They're now classics!

Well thanks to TiEndo and looking at Craig's FCR, I've decided to hold onto the 26er Racer-Exo and build it up as a B6er. Gonna send a Lefty to Mendon and have them rebuild it and it's on to the next experiment.

I'll post pictures here when it's done. Thanks guys for talking sense into my thick head! Why would anyone want to get rid of an Exo Frame?
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Titus doesn't offer any exogrid bikes now, which is one of the reasons why these are coming to market: Veloti is a UK based brand but the tubes are produced by Vyatek and welded by the same guy that welded the Titus frames in Tempe.

These are just sample road frames but mountain are on the way. This new exogrid tubeset gets away from the trademark diamond cut Titus design, removes more ti so saves a bit more weight and makes for a new look for exogrid.

http://road.cc/content/image/25339-v...rid-race-frame

High Alpine Adventure
    Wow... those are beautiful. Can't wait to see what they come up with in the MTBike realm. Thanks for sharing that!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Quote Originally Posted by gossa
    These are just sample road frames but mountain are on the way. This new exogrid tubeset gets away from the trademark diamond cut Titus design, removes more ti so saves a bit more weight and makes for a new look for exogrid.

http://road.cc/content/image/25339-v...rid-race-frame
    Sad. Exogrid is "tired technology", Yep, sure it is. I read that as we'd rather see more $ in our pockets, screw being cutting edge, aluminum is so much cooler....

Oh wait, we're gonna play with BB30 integrated seatmasts, headsets and tapered headtubes

Dammit, now I want another Exo frame....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Wow... those are beautiful. Can't wait to see what they come up with in the MTBike realm. Thanks for sharing that!
    Well what would you like to see? They are still in the design process. BB30 or RF30? Zero stack headtube?

Well what would you like to see? They are still in the design process. BB30 or RF30? Zero stack headtube?
    BB30 sucks donkey gonads, just wait till you get an outer race frozen in the frame, or wallow out the press fit so it creaks without end. Nope, please leave us a threaded option, please!! Ditto for any other integrated product.

Titanium is not supposed to be disposable, leave that to the beer can stuff.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

High Alpine Adventure
    Well what would you like to see? They are still in the design process.
    Well if you must... how about an option for Tapered or 1.5 Headtube so you could go full Lefty. A BB Height of at least 13.5" with 10mm rear drop-outs so you could use the RWS (not sold on 12X142 yet). I'm with Craig, no BB30, but I know we're swimming against the grain there.

Make it a 4-5" FS based on the Racer-X/Moto-lite Swing link Horst Design (ok, you'd have to pay the royalty to Spez, but it WORKS!)

And then make it with enough room in the rear swingarm so you could go 26er or 650b. They'd sell well in France and I'd be the first one in line!

Yeah, I'm weird!
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    You can use a Lefty in a regular headtube with their 'Lefty for all' 1"1/8 kit but big headtubes do make a nice stiff front end. That tapered headtube on the ti FTM looks sweet.

As for the Horst Link, the patent expires next year so anyone will be able to use it. Not sure if there will be a full sus bike from the start, just 26 and 29er's I'd like to go bolt through rear, about time everyone did. Anything else, chainstay 'post' mounted rear caliper??

jms
    mtbr member

Interesting

BB30 sucks donkey gonads, just wait till you get an outer race frozen in the frame, or wallow out the press fit so it creaks without end. Nope, please leave us a threaded option, please!! Ditto for any other integrated product.

Titanium is not supposed to be disposable, leave that to the beer can stuff.
    Interesting. Thanks for pointing this out. I didn't know this @ the BB30 system, but it makes sense. I would imagine this would also be true of any of the BB30 "clones" sprouting up too.

I'm so tired of all the marketing driven, lowest common denominator engineering being foisted off as "progress". For the life of me, I think political advertisements are more credible than cycling product literature these days.
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Oops, got no idea how that got posted twice! As for BB30 etc, you can/t get away from the fact that the bigger shell makes for a stiffer frame where ti frames suffer no lateral flex. I hear what you're saying though and nothing looks sweeter than a King BB in your color of choice.

So what else guys, if you were designing the frames from scratch (as we are), what is on the wish list apart from an exo tubeset and gorgeous welds!

High Alpine Adventure
    I'd say keep it tapered. Project 321 makes a tapered stem so no biggie there and you will definitely be with the standards of where other forks are headed. Yeah, Post mount rear brakes make a lot of sense. And if you want to steal a page from Orbea, set it up for use with the Gore System. Not sure of what the licensing is all about, but Orbea has that dialed in and it looks nice and clean on the bike without all the housing. Definitely look at how they have done their seat post clamps and the Gore routing. VERY distinctive! Just screams top drawer!

I know FS takes some time to develop and is more expensive to produce, but I'd just lift the Racer-X layout for pivot points and stays be done with it. Can't get any better than that in my book. And I think the market is a little broader for a FS over a Ti HT.

Keep the 650b in focus. I ride 29ers and even I am rethinking the wheel size to a degree. The B6er Racer-Exo will be my first dabble there. Here's an interesting article on the subject of the 29er world. If you read through the comments, you'll see a ton of 29er riders discussing the 650b as being the perfect compromise. Could 29ers and 26ers someday be swallowed up by a 650b standard? Weirder things happen in the Mt. Bike world.

http://singletrack.competitor.com/20...-a-touch_10872

So those are my 2 cents... looking forward to what you folks come up with!!!
    Last edited by DaGoat; 10-31-2010 at 01:36 PM.
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for taking the time Goat, all noted!

High Alpine Adventure

TiEndo has one...

Dug-Da-Goat

Ti is addictive

Actually my Eleven is Ti.....My Fireline is Exogrid.

High Alpine Adventure
    Consider it a buying opportunity...
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    My Exo is a live and kicking!!! Just put a new Fox F100 RLC on her too with a 15mm thru axle. A little heavier then the Durin but handling feels better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is Exogrid Dead?-img_3391-large-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Man that bike is clean...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trener1
    Yeah, a Racer X Exo is so fast, not even dirt can keep up with it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by trener1
    That's the way, uh-huh, I like it, uh-huh, uh-huh.

High Alpine Adventure
    It's a beauty and a classic Rider!
    Dug-Da-Goat

High Alpine Adventure
    No Rider! No!!!
    Last edited by DaGoat; 11-27-2010 at 11:50 AM.
    Dug-Da-Goat

High Alpine Adventure
    It's a beauty and a classic Rider!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Titus-X-Exo-Moun...item19c1277e96

Don't do it Rider!!! Pull it now while you still can!!! TiEndo is right, they'll never make 'em like that any more!!!
    Dug-Da-Goat

High Alpine Adventure
    Uhhhh?
    Dug-Da-Goat

High Alpine Adventure

Uhmm... the possibilities.

So Gossa, since you folks are in the UK and Titus is now part of the On-One/Planet-X family, I wonder if there will be any collaberation on utilizing Exo-Grid for framesets?

Yanno, competitive juices aside, might be good to expand the economies of scale!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    So Gossa, since you folks are in the UK and Titus is now part of the On-One/Planet-X family, I wonder if there will be any collaberation on utilizing Exo-Grid for framesets?

Yanno, competitive juices aside, might be good to expand the economies of scale!
    Da Goat,

There are all sorts of discussions going on for what Titus will do in the future and nothing has been decided.

Exogrid is a possibility.
    Talks with the past vendors are just starting.
    USA production a high priority.
    The company will build from past designs and move it forward. And it is going to take some time.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Da Goat,

There are all sorts of discussions going on for what Titus will do in the future and nothing has been decided.

Exogrid is a possibility.
    Talks with the past vendors are just starting.
    USA production a high priority.
    The company will build from past designs and move it forward. And it is going to take some time.
    Great to hear Shiggy...

I know I myself am REALLY stoked on this relationship with Planet-X/On-One. Patience is the key word and for those who didn't pick up on the intro of On-One's 29er's, here's some links to Twenty Nine Inches. It looks like Ti is going to factor well into Titus' future...

http://twentynineinches.com/2010/11/...ange-report-1/

http://twentynineinches.com/2010/11/...-2-ti-xc-29er/

http://twentynineinches.com/2010/11/...-carbon-29ers/

http://twentynineinches.com/2010/11/...g-travel-29er/

http://twentynineinches.com/2010/11/...orks-and-more/
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Just to be clear, the Veloti Exogrid project came about because the UK distributor for Titus (me and my partner) were looking for road business to compliment the Titus off road sales as Titus pulled away from road (and Exo).

I designed the new tubeset for our frame and we are in sampling/testing stage with Vyatek. The Planet X/On one deal is a twist of fate for sure as they are also based here in the UK and we are in discussions with them on a number of possibilities.

This could all end up being very good news for the Titus fans that want to see the company go back to it's roots so stay tuned.

Irrespective of what happens with Titus though we still plan to continue with the Veloti project so there will be Exo frames out there, made in Tempe, by the ex welder from Titus and if we can't figure out a way forward with Titus we will offer hardtail 26 and 29ers too.

High Alpine Adventure
    This could all end up being very good news for the Titus fans that want to see the company go back to it's roots so stay tuned.
    Good to hear Gossa, I hope you folks can keep the possibilities open. Too often the competitive juices create Lose-Lose situations.

Here's to hoping you folks and Planet-X can make this a Win-Win not only for you folks, but for followers of the Titus brand as well.

Good Luck!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Titanium is for real
    Feb 2008
    Just to be clear, the Veloti Exogrid project came about because the UK distributor for Titus (me and my partner) were looking for road business to compliment the Titus off road sales as Titus pulled away from road (and Exo).

I designed the new tubeset for our frame and we are in sampling/testing stage with Vyatek. The Planet X/On one deal is a twist of fate for sure as they are also based here in the UK and we are in discussions with them on a number of possibilities.

Irrespective of what happens with Titus though we still plan to continue with the Veloti project so there will be Exo frames out there, made in Tempe, by the ex welder from Titus and if we can't figure out a way forward with Titus we will offer hardtail 26 and 29ers too.
    Thats good to hear! i think i need to get on more of these incredible looking bikes. Probably 29" Exo with a Lefty.

Kristian

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

SteelExo

While you're planning what to offer, don't forget about the other unique tubing from Titus, used for the Fireline Steel Exo.
    One way to have an affordable exotic bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is Exogrid Dead?-img_1539-%5B1024x768%5D.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerbob.com
    While you're planning what to offer, don't forget about the other unique tubing from Titus, used for the Fireline Steel Exo.
    One way to have an affordable exotic bike.
    I do not know much about the steel EXO, Bob. Is it a stainless tube?
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I do not know much about the steel EXO, Bob. Is it a stainless tube?
    That would have been SWEET, but no, it was OX Platinum.....

They rode great too

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Shiggy, Titus offered it in their 2009 range but very few were made. Hey, nice to meet you the other day, Clive.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

We the people ... Original photo

Jeff Titone's retro SteelExo.

They also built a few cyclocross bikes in steel.
    Bet Vyatek has a few tubesets hanging around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is Exogrid Dead?-titus-fireline-steel-exo.jpg  

Sadly, the one that I sold here, broke within a year at the brake mounts. Should have had a cross brace, but it didn't. Curious if others failed there too.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Shiggy, Titus offered it in their 2009 range but very few were made. Hey, nice to meet you the other day, Clive.
    Good to see you, too, Clive. Thanks for your input.
    mtbtires.com

That would have been SWEET, but no, it was OX Platinum.....

They rode great too
    How did they finish the steel to prevent rust?
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    managed to snag one of the last in stock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is Exogrid Dead?-exo-steel.jpg  

bikeporn is protected speech

High Alpine Adventure
    Very nice ride there Mr. Hardtale!!! So can someone enlighten me to what type of "Steel" is used in the Steel Exo's?
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Very nice ride there Mr. Hardtale!!! So can someone enlighten me to what type of "Steel" is used in the Steel Exo's?
    True Temper OX Platinum was the tube set that was used and the magical finish used to prevent rust is paint!

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus Jeff
    True Temper OX Platinum was the tube set that was used and the magical finish used to prevent rust is paint!
    Thanks Jeff, for the info... here's some more technical info for those that want to know...

http://www.henryjames.com/oxplat.html
    http://www.henryjames.com/tubing.html

Also, it looks like Titus isn't the only company that is struggling through the recession. True Temper has been on the ropes. This was posted in Oct. 2009, so here's to hoping that the restructuring is going well.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...otection-23568
    Dug-Da-Goat

Quote Originally Posted by Titus Jeff
    Ah! sort of a ti/steel "raw" look paint. Thanks, Jeff.
    mtbtires.com

Get out of town!
    I have the steel exo and everyone thinks it is is Ti because of the paint. I think the color is called Desert Sand or something like that....
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

High Alpine Adventure
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Titus-X-Exo-Moun...item19c1277e96

Don't do it Rider!!! Pull it now while you still can!!! TiEndo is right, they'll never make 'em like that any more!!!
    Wow... $3,870... someone got a good deal. Nice looking ride there Rider, sad to see ya part with it!
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member

Motolite Exogrid

I have some great memories on my Exogrid. Look forward to many more. Here is a photo from Helen GA taken in Summer 08. Still have her and in she is in great shape. Replaced her rear der. and casette last month- just cleaned and stored for next season!

Not all pain is gain...
    Dang, that is a sweet looking ride. I never had an Exo, but I'm still regretting dumping my Ti Moto...

rabies

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by rabies
    Dang, that is a sweet looking ride. I never had an Exo, but I'm still regretting dumping my Ti Moto...
    I'll second that Rabies! Nice ride there Wick! And if you ever get a chance to ride an Exo, you'll then know what all the fuss is about! Smoothest and quietest ride you'll ever do....
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I dunno how many mountain bike he builds (More of a roadie comment...) But Bill Holland out of San Diego still does ExoGrid. I'm thinking of buying a new one from him shortly (my current Holland fram eis 14 years old). I believe he and Titus where the first ones "certified" (whatever that means) to work with Exogrid.

-e

High Alpine Adventure

Kicking myself...

I was thinking of bidding on this but really didn't have the money... then I saw what it went for and I'm sitting here shaking my head. This would have upped the stable to a 26" & 29" Racer-X-O with a Moto-Lite Exo thrown in.... that would have been the trifecta damnit!

Ebay Exo-Moto-Lite Link
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    No offence, Exo-Grid looks cool but is a really a dumb way to build a bike.

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by sopwithcamel
    No offence, Exo-Grid looks cool but is a really a dumb way to build a bike.
    Dumb way to build a bike? Not sure I follow you. Expensive, complex... yeah, I can see that, but dumb?

I'll assume you have maybe not ridden Exo and therefore don't know the true qualities of the ride. I know a lot of folks who see them, just think of them as "blinged" up versions of a Ti Frame. But that is as far from the reality as the ride is.

Riding an Exo compared to straight Ti is about as different as the ride comparison between straight Ti and Aluminum. It is night and day... and believe me I know! We're talking "super quite" here. When I say quite, I mean very little vibration coming through the frame into the bars. Smooooooth.... and when you're smooth, you're fast. Both my Exo Racer-X's are some of the fastest (but not necessarily lightest) bikes I've ridden.

What more can I say.... dumb? Not hardly! Expensive, most certainly! Unless you were the lucky son of a gun who scored the Exo Moto-lite on Ebay! Damn him!
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Exo Grid is just an bizare way to make a Ti lugged carbon frame which is technology dating back to early 90's and John Tomac and Ned Overend's race bikes.

High Alpine Adventure
    Exo Grid is just an bizare way to make a Ti lugged carbon frame...
    So you're saying that you view Exogrid as being similar to a "Lugged Carbon Tube" frame... that's an interesting take on it but not sure it is accurate. Not having ridden a lugged carbon frame, I can't really comment beyond that. However, I would think Exo may have a little different characteristic to it's ride given the interplay between the Ti tube and carbon underlayer...

It would be interesting to hear from someone who does have this perspective.
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    If you think Exogrid is neat check out the December 1992 Bicycling magazine review of the Beryllium frame.

http://www.mombat.org/American.htm

High Alpine Adventure
    If you think Exogrid is neat...
    No, I don't think of Exo as being "neat"... I view it as "functional". Now Beryllium.... that's "dumb"!
    Dug-Da-Goat

High Alpine Adventure
    I have NO vested interest in this bike... but it is being offered by Absolute Bikes in Flagstaff and a 29er Racer-Exo for $1500 is a pretty sweet deal.... Better be a tall guy though!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Used-2006-Titus-...item23106c77c8

Just sayin'!
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Exogrid still alive but only 20 more.

http://seaotter.mtbr.com/2011/04/26/...grid-fireline/

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Fireline Steel Exogrid

Exogrid is alive for me! Just bought a Fireline Steel Exogrid 29er.on eBay in new condition.
    Weigh is 1900gr for M-size.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is Exogrid Dead?-img_2311.jpg  

Is Exogrid Dead?-img_2318.jpg  

Is Exogrid Dead?-img_2315.jpg  

Is Exogrid Dead?-img_2323.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I know I'm dragging up an old thread (sorry), but I gotta get through "noob" probation somehow before I can post something new. I just picked up a classic 19" hardtail Ti Exogrid frame that's in "like-new" condition. Wanting to build it as a trail rider here in FL (read: no hills - LOL). Always loved the Titus frames when I lived in Colorado, and it's too bad the economy got them a few years ago. Still, the occasional gem shows up, and I finally had the chance to get one of the frames I always wanted. It'll be a fun project, and I'm a true noob at builds, so any thoughts/suggestions welcome. I'm currently riding aluminum hardtail. No racing....just trail riding. Love shaving ounces where I can. Thinking XTR for this but no solid decisions made yet. Will post a new thread with pics once I'm allowed to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3