Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    High Alpine Adventure

Is Exogrid Dead?

Would be ashame, but with all the hydroformed Ti on the 2010 site and not a mention of Exogrid, it seems it is dead. Even the Fireline is Hydro.... I also notice that the site doesn't list any road frames, so what's up with Titus?

Well I guess that makes me really want to hold onto my Exogrid Racer-X 29er....
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    No more road bikes
    I had a a chance to demo one 2 years ago but at the time I wasn't in the market for a new road bike, I am now and like you went on the site and didn't see any, so I called them and was told that they are out of the road bike business.... too bad the one that I demoed was sweet.

Paper or plastic?
    Jeff had mentioned something about getting out of the road bike business a year or two ago. As for the Exogrid stuff, it was really Vyatek proprietary technology, so I'm not sure if the new owners can still use it. Might also be that it's too expensive in the current economic situation.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Ti is addictive
    If you do a search there was a big thread on Titus getting out of the road business and why. I love my exogrid bikes and won't part with any of them.

Titus Titanium bikes have been contracted out for the last year or 2 (First ABG and then Lynskey)and the custom stuff isn't done in house either......I think they have a small builder on contract to do those for them. My gut hunch says we will see a mostly Carbon offering with the Titus line up next year (exept EG).
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    If you do a search there was a big thread on Titus getting out of the road business and why. I love my exogrid bikes and won't part with any of them.

Titus Titanium bikes have been contracted out for the last year or 2 (First ABG and then Lynskey)and the custom stuff isn't done in house either......I think they have a small builder on contract to do those for them. My gut hunch says we will see a mostly Carbon offering with the Titus line up next year (exept EG).
    A carbon EG would be sweet though.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I thought you could get an exo frame if you ordered a custom fit but I just checked the website and I don't see anything on ordering custom fit frame. Have they stopped custom order frames too?

searcher
    It is sad. Exogrid is the duck's nuts. It was one of the things that made Titus unique.
    Kovi

banned
    Apr 2010
    There was little to no advantage in exogrid, especially now with tubing technology. Titus is simply a company that got hit really bad and is in bad shape and making the changes, and exogrid, even if available, was not a huge seller, but more for magazine ads.

mtbr member

small builder you speak of http://cycletronix.com/

[QI think they have a small builder on contract to do those for them.UOTE=TiEndo]If you do a search there was a big thread on Titus getting out of the road business and why. I love my exogrid bikes and won't part with any of them.

Titus Titanium bikes have been contracted out for the last year or 2 (First ABG and then Lynskey)and the custom stuff isn't done in house either......I think they have a small builder on contract to do those for them. My gut hunch says we will see a mostly Carbon offering with the Titus line up next year (exept EG).[/QUOTE]

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by junktrunk
    There was little to no advantage in exogrid....
    Not to start an argument, but I totally disagree... having ridden Racer-X's in Alu and Exo, both 26er and 29er, the ride quality of an Exo compared to straight Ti is like Ti compared to Alu!!! The tuning of the Exo tubing made it one of the quietest frames I have ever ridden!!! And let's not talk carbon, my Orbea Alma 29er and Spez S-Works Enduro SL can't touch the ride quality of Exo...

Like I said, makes me want to hold on to them even more!!!

Now did it make business sense? There you may have an argument!!!
    Dug-Da-Goat

High Alpine Adventure
    Uhmmm... interesting! You can't link to it from the site, but it is buried in there...

http://www.titusti.com/2010/technology/exogrid.php

So the question to be begged is can you still get a Exogrid Frame? And if so, what about custom updates like a 135x10 rear swing arm?
    Dug-Da-Goat

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGoat
    Not to start an argument, but I totally disagree... having ridden Racer-X's in Alu and Exo, both 26er and 29er, the ride quality of an Exo compared to straight Ti is like Ti compared to Alu!!! The tuning of the Exo tubing made it one of the quietest frames I have ever ridden!!! And let's not talk carbon, my Orbea Alma 29er and Spez S-Works Enduro SL can't touch the ride quality of Exo...

Like I said, makes me want to hold on to them even more!!!

Now did it make business sense? There you may have an argument!!!
    Business sense? It just depends, I really guess that titus sold a very small percentage of their bikes using Exogrid tubing. It probably costed a lot to mantain the technology for the few sells, I think they went to Ti, Alu and CF bikes because of that.

High Alpine Adventure

Obsolete I guess...

...and if this is Old School, sit me on down...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is Exogrid Dead?-img_3331web.jpg  

Is Exogrid Dead?-img_3332web.jpg  

Dug-Da-Goat

"El Whatever"
    Sad... the amount of high-end brands that actually MAKE bikes is shrinking. Looks like unless you go totally custom, there are just a few makers that actually have a welding shop or lay carbon in house.

Nothing really wrong with that, as long as the bikes keep getting better... I guess?

I've never ridden an Exo, Ti or CF bike, but I don't think ride quality of Exo could be replicated.... it's the combination of materials what makes it unique. As soon as you hop on a CF, Exo or a steel bike it's when it strikes you how different a ride "feel" is from each other.

Is it better or worst? Worth the investment? Who knows... most people don't find any sense on riding the bikes we ride.
    Check my Site

High Alpine Adventure

Comon, tell us what's up!

So Biker Bob, Jeff or any of the brain trust at Titus, what is the status of Exogrid? Are you still doing custom frames and can people order Exogrid?

Enquiring Minds want to know!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Trophy Husband
    So Biker Bob, Jeff or any of the brain trust at Titus, what is the status of Exogrid? Are you still doing custom frames and can people order Exogrid?

Jeff was let go months ago by the "brain trust" at Titus. Titus Mikey currently watches the forum for Titus.

Bikerbob is in Canaduh at the moment and may not be paying too much attention.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    Jeff was let go months ago by the "brain trust" at Titus. Titus Mikey currently watches the forum for Titus.

Bikerbob is in Canaduh at the moment and may not be paying too much attention.
    I hear Titus Mikey was laid-off from Titus about a month ago too. Not sure what's going on over there these days.

banned
    Apr 2010

The real question anyone here should be asking is what the current state of affairs with Titus is, not a limited edition defunct frame material. Or ask if they are going to try and offer it again to Chris Cocalis.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I stopped by this thread to drop a pic of this little lovely (probably the sweetest riding bike I own), but, in seeing a few of the latest responses, I feel I should mention the phone call I made to them today.

Got a totally weird phone message, not the usual one. Asked me to email them, as they were "busy", so I did, no response after several hours.

Anyone? Kinda sad if it got to this, shoulda known it was bad when I got told last year at the show, (rather snarkily) that no one really cared if they were made in the USA, and that most production would be offshore by 2011.......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have been getting the same message since last week, and I am trying to call and purchase a frame for a customer. Not sure what to make of this. Tried texting Mike a few weeks back and no response either. I'll excuse that as being super busy but the office going straight to voicemail makes me a bit concerned as a shop manager.

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    I stopped by this thread to drop a pic of this little lovely (probably the sweetest riding bike I own)...
    WOW!!! A "Full Custom Racer".... you hold onto that thing!!! That is more than just Exo-grid... that's full tilt boogie there!!! NICE!!!
    Dug-Da-Goat

WOW!!! A "Full Custom Racer".... you hold onto that thing!!! That is more than just Exo-grid... that's full tilt boogie there!!! NICE!!!
    Thanks. It was one of the last bikes Chris drafted prior to leaving. At this stage of the game, I'm very glad I got it when I did.

I built the prototype myself just to test some theories, tweaked them a touch, and sent off my plans. HTA, STA, BB height, CS length, TT length, axle to crown height, all mine. My first custom ever, so I went big. Gosh I love this bike.

Exogrid technology is getting stale is what I was told, yeah, ti is too.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Quote Originally Posted by bikescott09
    office going straight to voicemail makes me a bit concerned as a shop manager.
    Yep, my thoughts exactly....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Since everyone else is posting their ride, I'll add mine!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is Exogrid Dead?-motolite1.jpg  

J:
    Lunker

Kobe?

Quote Originally Posted by me_not_you
    Since everyone else is posting their ride, I'll add mine!

Oh my, is that a 25 incher??

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillOG
    Oh my, is that a 25 incher??
    Wait.... What?

Just a normal 26 inch wheeled bike ....

J:
    Lunker
    Quote Originally Posted by me_not_you
    Wait.... What?

Just a normal 26 inch wheeled bike ....
    seat tube

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillOG
    seat tube
    Ahh..... Maybe it doesn't look as big as it really is. I'm 6' 5.5". I let my bike shop work out all the details with Titus. This is what came back

I doubt most people could even throw their legs up and over the Top Tube.

Ti is addictive
    Since we are having a eulogy for exogrid, here is my family portrait with 4 of the bikes in exogrid.

I figured exogrid was done when Vyatek the tubing provider gave up ownership of Titus last year.

Hope Titus survives the economy.......I still think we will see a narrowing of boutique bike companies in todays market.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is Exogrid Dead?-mini_disc_pics_007.jpg  

Trophy Husband
    Since we are having a eulogy for exogrid, here is my family portrait with 4 of the bikes in exogrid.
    Whenever my wife begins to complain about the 3 aluminum and 2 steel bikes I have laying around, I pull up a photo of your bike collection. Works every time. Thank you...even though I have deep feelings of inadequacies resulting from said pictures.
    Extreme stationary biker.

Ti is addictive
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    Whenever my wife begins to complain about the 3 aluminum and 2 steel bikes I have laying around, I pull up a photo of your bike collection. Works every time. Thank you...even though I have deep feelings of inadequacies resulting from said pictures.

I need a new family picture, its missing one more Ti bike and 2 aluminum ones as well.

"El Whatever"
    I need a new family picture, its missing one more Ti bike and 2 aluminum ones as well.
    It has more to do with Titus' Hall of Fame than a family portrait!
    Check my Site

High Alpine Adventure

That's one beautiful Family!

...and a great collection of bikes. I've heard you had some sweet steel TiEndo, but now I've seen the goods. Great job pulling all that together!

We'll this is my 26er that I've broken down. The frame is sitting around waiting to be photographed for EBay.... but now that I'm getting the feeling the plug may have been pulled, I'm having some reservations...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dug-Da-Goat

High Alpine Adventure

Maybe not dead yet...

Santana is making Tandems with Exogrid... these vids are great explainations about why Exogrid is the bee's knees!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snPqOb1UdPo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6U9xHQunmU

It looks like Devinci is following suite as well....

http://tandemgeek.wordpress.com/2010...yatek-team-up/

This announces the sale of Titus from Vyatek...

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/...tail/1048.html
    Dug-Da-Goat

Ti is addictive
    Dagoat.......personally I wouldn't part with any of my exogrid bikes......you will never get any decent resale in this market. It's a unique frame unless Vyatek can find another Ti builder as a purchaser for the tubesets, it will stay unique.

Ti is addictive
    Dagoat.......personally I wouldn't part with any of my exogrid bikes......you will never get any decent resale in this market. It's a unique frame unless Vyatek can find another Ti builder as a purchaser for the tubesets, it will stay unique.

Get out of town!
    I have a steel exogrid I am building up this week. I am curious to see how you all routed your front deraileur cables since there are no guides on the top tube. Also I didn't even notice that there is no replaceable deraileur hanger before ordering the frame. I hope I never have an issue with that! My only complaints but I can't wait to get it built.
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

Ti is addictive
    edit

High Alpine Adventure
    Color me confused, I assume you are talking about an Exogrid Racer-X which uses a Top Pull Derailuear and the ferrule stop is on the back of the seat tube. Look at the pictures of my Racer-X above.
    Dug-Da-Goat

High Alpine Adventure
    So nothing yet from Titus? Guess Exo is dead!
    Dug-Da-Goat

High Alpine Adventure

They're now classics!

Well thanks to TiEndo and looking at Craig's FCR, I've decided to hold onto the 26er Racer-Exo and build it up as a B6er. Gonna send a Lefty to Mendon and have them rebuild it and it's on to the next experiment.

I'll post pictures here when it's done. Thanks guys for talking sense into my thick head! Why would anyone want to get rid of an Exo Frame?
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Titus doesn't offer any exogrid bikes now, which is one of the reasons why these are coming to market: Veloti is a UK based brand but the tubes are produced by Vyatek and welded by the same guy that welded the Titus frames in Tempe.

These are just sample road frames but mountain are on the way. This new exogrid tubeset gets away from the trademark diamond cut Titus design, removes more ti so saves a bit more weight and makes for a new look for exogrid.

http://road.cc/content/image/25339-v...rid-race-frame

High Alpine Adventure
    Wow... those are beautiful. Can't wait to see what they come up with in the MTBike realm. Thanks for sharing that!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Quote Originally Posted by gossa
    These are just sample road frames but mountain are on the way. This new exogrid tubeset gets away from the trademark diamond cut Titus design, removes more ti so saves a bit more weight and makes for a new look for exogrid.

http://road.cc/content/image/25339-v...rid-race-frame
    Sad. Exogrid is "tired technology", Yep, sure it is. I read that as we'd rather see more $ in our pockets, screw being cutting edge, aluminum is so much cooler....

Oh wait, we're gonna play with BB30 integrated seatmasts, headsets and tapered headtubes

Dammit, now I want another Exo frame....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Wow... those are beautiful. Can't wait to see what they come up with in the MTBike realm. Thanks for sharing that!
    Well what would you like to see? They are still in the design process. BB30 or RF30? Zero stack headtube?

Well what would you like to see? They are still in the design process. BB30 or RF30? Zero stack headtube?
    BB30 sucks donkey gonads, just wait till you get an outer race frozen in the frame, or wallow out the press fit so it creaks without end. Nope, please leave us a threaded option, please!! Ditto for any other integrated product.

Titanium is not supposed to be disposable, leave that to the beer can stuff.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

High Alpine Adventure
    Well what would you like to see? They are still in the design process.
    Well if you must... how about an option for Tapered or 1.5 Headtube so you could go full Lefty. A BB Height of at least 13.5" with 10mm rear drop-outs so you could use the RWS (not sold on 12X142 yet). I'm with Craig, no BB30, but I know we're swimming against the grain there.

Make it a 4-5" FS based on the Racer-X/Moto-lite Swing link Horst Design (ok, you'd have to pay the royalty to Spez, but it WORKS!)

And then make it with enough room in the rear swingarm so you could go 26er or 650b. They'd sell well in France and I'd be the first one in line!

Yeah, I'm weird!
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    You can use a Lefty in a regular headtube with their 'Lefty for all' 1"1/8 kit but big headtubes do make a nice stiff front end. That tapered headtube on the ti FTM looks sweet.

As for the Horst Link, the patent expires next year so anyone will be able to use it. Not sure if there will be a full sus bike from the start, just 26 and 29er's I'd like to go bolt through rear, about time everyone did. Anything else, chainstay 'post' mounted rear caliper??

jms
    mtbr member

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    BB30 sucks donkey gonads, just wait till you get an outer race frozen in the frame, or wallow out the press fit so it creaks without end. Nope, please leave us a threaded option, please!! Ditto for any other integrated product.

Titanium is not supposed to be disposable, leave that to the beer can stuff.
    Interesting. Thanks for pointing this out. I didn't know this @ the BB30 system, but it makes sense. I would imagine this would also be true of any of the BB30 "clones" sprouting up too.

I'm so tired of all the marketing driven, lowest common denominator engineering being foisted off as "progress". For the life of me, I think political advertisements are more credible than cycling product literature these days.
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast