Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Excited to be part of the following! Got a NEW Motolite!

After a few threads and asking questions about multiple bikes, I have officially upgraded from my '01 Trek Fuel 98 to a BRAND NEW 2008 Titus Motolite! I'm really excited, and I had a lot of consulting from "DaGoat" before I made my purchase.

It's got a full XT build, Talas fork, Avid Juicy carbon breaks...all brand new! I can't wait for Spring to get here! This is it...tell me what you guys think. I got what I guess one could call a "hell of a deal."

mtbr member
    Looks great. Now the ride the hell out of it!
    Last edited by Vespasianus; 12-17-2010 at 12:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Very nice. Mine should be here Monday.

mtbr member
    Congrats to you too, ironlegs! Gotta show us when you get it.

I literally just got it off Ebay from a stellar-seller, and I probably won't see it for a couple of weeks.

And just for comparison and consideration, I got the bike fully complete for $2000...

mtbr member
    Congrats. I have the 2007 ML with an identical original build (the only difference I can see is mine had Juicy 7's not Carbon). I remember when that blue first came out....may it's a good looking color.

I think you'll love this bike, it's a been a great one for me. Experiment with fork and shock pressures, I found even minor changes on both to have very noticeable effects on the ML ride experience.

mtbr member
    It's an 07' I got off ebay last weekend.

http://passmore.zenfolio.com/p102982...c9c3#h3392c9c3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebeer
    Congrats. I have the 2007 ML with an identical original build (the only difference I can see is mine had Juicy 7's not Carbon). I remember when that blue first came out....may it's a good looking color.

I think you'll love this bike, it's a been a great one for me. Experiment with fork and shock pressures, I found even minor changes on both to have very noticeable effects on the ML ride experience.

I'll definitely play with the settings this Winter so tuning won't take so long in the Spring to get her dialed in. And yes, that blue looks purdy in the pictures.

I guess since you have pretty much the exact bike, maybe you can help me start...

I'm 5'11" and weigh about 177 lbs. I like for the rear suspension to be sort of stiff, yet able to load easily to get it off the ground. Do you have any suggestions as to what kind of air pressure I should start off with?

I hope I will love this bike as much as everyone else has raved about it. I haven't even riden it yet, much less a Titus before; this however doesn't make me nervous about getting it. I haven't ridden hard since college (4 years ago) but this is going to give me the excuse to get out every weekend and hit the mountains. It will take me while to figure out what I don't like, if anything, since I haven't ridden avidly in so long.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ironlegsracer
    It's an 07' I got off ebay last weekend.

http://passmore.zenfolio.com/p102982...c9c3#h3392c9c3

LOL! I was looking at getting that exact bike too! Very clean and love that black frame. I think you got a great deal on that one too...

Dozer
    Quote Originally Posted by radials
    I guess since you have pretty much the exact bike, maybe you can help me start...

I'm 5'11" and weigh about 177 lbs. I like for the rear suspension to be sort of stiff, yet able to load easily to get it off the ground. Do you have any suggestions as to what kind of air pressure I should start off with?
    We have a very similar height/weight. I ride a size Large 2007 ML. As far as rear shock goes, get the thing Push'd when it's ready for service. Perhaps add the large volume air can to it as well. It will spoil you in the best way possible. I've noticed I don't have to run the high pressures I thought I needed previously. In fact, I let the sag go over 30% and just run it in ProPedal #2 most of the time.

You're going to love your Titus. In my experience, right around 120mm (give or take 10mm) is the perfect sweet spot for forks on the ML. I'd recommend going shorter with the stem and wider with the bars unless you're pretty much just using it for racing. Have fun!

mtbr member
    What yeahgog31 said. My RP23 was PUSH'd and I'm now a believer. I run the shock at 30% and rarely use the ProPedal option (maybe for road climbs only).

I run the Talas in 140mm the vast majority of the time.

mtbr member
    Awesome! Thanks for the advice, gentlemen!

The bike will have to be assembled anyway, so I figured I might as well have the rear shock Pushed during the build, and might as well add the large volume can at the same time.

I'll play with the fork as well. Since my Trek is so ancient, all these newer components are going to take me some time to really feel out, and become a more conscious and in-tune rider with the bike. Back in '02 when I first got my Fuel, I didn't care about anything; just wanted a FS bike and I loved the geometry at first site with the Trek. I bought one, and moreover adjusted to the bike rather than the bike adjusting to me...

I'll be reading up a lot on here throughout most of the winter, as I'm not one that likes cold weather riding too much. Most of the REAL riding won't take place until early Spring.

Thanks for all the help, guys. I look forward to learning a lot from everyone!

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Makes me wish i hadn't sold mine. Great bikes.
    :-(

mtbr member

Juicy Carbon Breaks?

Well lets hope they dont break! Actually you have XT brakes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    Well lets hope they dont break! Actually you have XT brakes.
    You're right! I looked right at the pictures and it never even snapped...oh, and what should I worry about breaking?

The description in the auction said Avid juicey carbon breaks and levers, but the pictures do in fact show different...hmm...are the Avids better quality wise than the XTs?

mtbr member

Toss up

Juicy's would have carbon levers and be a little lighter. But either brake would work well for that application. I'd ask for some money back and say the item wasnt what was described.

mtbr member
    I might do that...do you see any other "errors" that differentiate from the description to the pictures? I now notice that the handle bars aren't Titus either, and is that even a Chris King headset...? Here is the list from the exact description from the auction:

Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.9

Front Derailleur: Shimano XT

Shifters: SRAM X.9 Trigger

Brake Lever: Avid Juicy Carbon

Brakes: Avid Juicy Carbon Disc

Crankset: Shimano XT

Bottom Bracket: Shimano XT

Chain: Shimano HG 93

Cassette: Shimano XT 11-34

Wheels: DT XR4.1 Disc

Tires: Kenda Kevlar

Handlebar: Titus 7075 Pro Riser

Grips: WTB Technical Trail Grip

Stem: Titus Machined

Headset: Chris King

Seatpost: Titus Micro-Adjust

Saddle: Titus Ti Rail

Pedaler of dirt
    You're right! I looked right at the pictures and it never even snapped...oh, and what should I worry about breaking?

The description in the auction said Avid juicey carbon breaks and levers, but the pictures do in fact show different...hmm...are the Avids better quality wise than the XTs?
    With Titus going out of business (though picked up by On One) I'd be worried about getting spare parts for the frame.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd consider the XT brakes an upgrade over any Avid hydro I've ever used, and the bar is a Titus (Maxm is their house brand).

As for the headset, looks like it may be a Cane Creek as opposed to a Chris King

mtbr member
    The XTs will get the job done. No worries there.

If there's a "break" in the weather---ride that hell out of it.
    Else you'll be full of regret by the first spring ride for missing out so much

mtbr member

Just razzing you

what should I worry about breaking?
    You said in your OP that it had "Avid juicy carbon breaks". You mispelled it, correct spelling is "brakes". The cane creek headset is quite a bit less $$$ then a King. I'd ask the seller for a couple hundred bucks back, he mis-advertised the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    You said in your OP that it had "Avid juicy carbon breaks". You mispelled it, correct spelling is "brakes". The cane creek headset is quite a bit less $$$ then a King. I'd ask the seller for a couple hundred bucks back, he mis-advertised the bike.
    Oh...whoops. I guess I got my first citation from the Grammer Police. That's OK, I get my balls busted, I'm sure you can handle it too. I guess my mind quit working there for a minute or the flicker rate of the monitor was altering the firing of my neural network...it's all good.

After looking into it, the Chris King headset is quite a bit more money than the CC. I'm checking into these issues now with the seller. Thanks for the investigative help, Sir.

ಠ_ಠ
    sweet looking bike. sending the shock to push is a great idea. I've heard they have a special MotoLite tune.

I didn't get the high volume sleeve, so it's not necessarily part of the mod. According to Push, some people like it, some don't. I'm pretty happy with the normal volume sleeve, but I use my ML as my XC bike. If it were my one bike, I'd probably prefer the higher volume version.

The seller was pretty far off on the description:

Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.9 ----> Shimano

Front Derailleur: Shimano XT

Shifters: SRAM X.9 Trigger ----> Shimano

Brake Lever: Avid Juicy Carbon ------> Shimano

Brakes: Avid Juicy Carbon Disc -----> Shimano and not carbon

Crankset: Shimano XT

Bottom Bracket: Shimano XT

Chain: Shimano HG 93

Cassette: Shimano XT 11-34

Wheels: DT XR4.1 Disc -----> DT x455 disc there is no mention of the hubs...

Tires: Kenda Kevlar

Handlebar: Titus 7075 Pro Riser

Grips: WTB Technical Trail Grip

Stem: Titus Machined

Headset: Chris King -----> Cane Creek

Seatpost: Titus Micro-Adjust

Saddle: Titus Ti Rail

The seller probably doesn't know much about bikes, and just cut/pasted someone else's description. Still, this is very bad form. I'd be interested to see how they make it right. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Once again, thanks for all the help guys on all of my "noob" questions.

But...it turns out I won't be getting the bike after all...

After I sent an email questioning the build specs and contradictions of the description and pictures, I was sent an email from the wife of husband who's bike it was. She stated that her husband was now refusing to sell me the bike since he would lose so much money on the deal, and that she listed the price far too low then that of which she should have. Yes, it is a killer deal, but that's the risk you take when selling on Ebay. The auciton started at $2k, the Buy it Now was listed at $3,200. I was the only one that bid...

The auction was indeed a no reserve auction, and I won the bike on all fair accounts. Very disappointing...very, very, disappointing.

So now the hunt continues, unfortunately. But maybe there's a better deal out there, who knows.

IF ANYONE KNOWS OF A MOTOLITE AL (OR A Ti WOULD PERFECT) FRAME/BIKE FOR SALE IN A SIZE MEDIUM, PLEASE PM ME IMMEDIATELY.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Mucho Motolites

Once upon a time I had a bunch of Motolites. I loved them all.
    Down to one left.
    Maybe i should hang on to it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I was also looking at the polished 2009 that's on there from Florida. I made him an offer and he came back with a good offer but it was too late. I had already bought the black one. It's a very nice bike too.
    He relisted it but I don't think it sold.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MEWAX:VRI

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast