Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Is there any news about the El guapo 29"?

mtbr member
    I could really use one right now!
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    EG29 has taken too long and I've lost interest in it.

Happy my my EG v2 with Slack set.
    Will probably look to get a Yt Industries bike next as their mad value.

mtbr member
    I can't even remember how much travel the el guapo 29" was supposed to have any more? Was it a 140 mm fork?

mtbr member
    140mm front, 140mm rear (actually 138, 140 and 142mm depending on size), 142mm back end using Shimano E-thru standard with our axle supplied, will work with new Shimano rear mech hanger style (available), mixer tapered headtube with 12mm upper bore, new cable routing on downtube and chainstay for rear mech and rear brake, FD over top tube (doubles as dropper guide), 25mm BB drop static, 68deg head angle, 580mm, 600mm and 625mm top tubes and 700mm, 720mm and 745mm front centre on the 16, 18, 20in models, 458mm chainstay, 190mm x 50mm shock, 73deg seat angle (actual) gives 74.5deg (effective).
    Front centre is LONG and designed for stability and lack of flop and for use with short stem (we have a 35mm model coming). Colours black (ano), white (painted), super-raw (ano).
    Completes at the factory on the 7th of January 2013.

Dozer
    Quote Originally Posted by brant View Post
    142mm back end using Shimano E-thru standard with our axle supplied, will work with new Shimano rear mech hanger style (available).
    Too bad I can't use the 10x135 wheels I already have...
    Also, what is the story with Sram rear derailleur compatibility with this system?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Brant....any idea on approximate frame weight?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahdog31 View Post
    Too bad I can't use the 10x135 wheels I already have...
    hmm

Most decent quality hubs can be swapped out of changed. Otherwise, BONUS - you have an excuse for a new wheelset.

That said I am drawing in my head a set of converters that any machine shop could make up to make 135mm wheels work in there.

It's not hard.
    Last edited by brant; 11-21-2012 at 08:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahdog31 View Post
    Also, what is the story with Sram rear derailleur compatibility with this system?
    Will ship with a standard (SRAM and normal Shimano) hanger.

Funky new Shimano hanger will be an option.

Maybe they might even ship with both if I do something wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    Thanks for the info Brant....any idea on approximate frame weight?
    It will weigh what it weighs. I am not entirely sure what that is.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the info Brant!

mtbr member
    To bike industry .. : p

Hope sells 2 little plastic (?) adapters for QR/15mm/20mm front for 22 euros

Someone should take the chance and give us some overpriced Shimano like 135 qr to 142x12 adapters.

e.g. Me, hehe, I paid around 400 euros
    For flows laced on hope 20mm front and shimano 529 rear.

1. If I want a new similar wheel set with 142x12 back I ll need at least 650euros (all x 12 rear are currently expensive)

2. If I just replace the rear hub I ll currently need at least 200 euros (hub rims build)

3.if there was a little adapter I would pay for it... Do your maths, with no hussle of re build.

Golden opportunity here, and don't be late because in a couple of years someone big (shimano ?) will sell cheaper 142x12 hubs.

hehehe
    Last edited by ocean_29; 11-23-2012 at 04:37 AM.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    May 2008
    was surprised to read somewhere this frame may only cost 100 more than 26 EG.

edit: that person was wrong apparently, see below!

was expecting it to be a grand. got to factor in new wheels and fork for most of us though..

and just got this month's Dirt today, nice article, will read properly later. i've also been in Dirt but the less said about that the better..

my only Q about Guapo 29 is why you aren't giving it a new name as it sounds like a new bike (does it have same curvy shapes as the 26er?).. El Majo or El Lindo or something. but check with someone with better Spanish than mine (could be connotations i'm not getting hehe.)

edit: or even El Alto (The Tall One) or El Grande (the Big One), if you want to keep it simple! since Alto doesn't seem to be taken, seems a place on the off-road cycling map in south america (near La Paz), and is a nice sly reference to certain other brand that rhymes with.. Banta Kews Wall-boy?
    Last edited by Smiff; 11-30-2012 at 05:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Any idea on Pricing for the frame? What rear shock will it be spec'd with?

mtbr member
    Rear shock will be CCDB Air.

Price TBC. Hope to keep it competitive. Of course you're getting 142 and a rear axle with this. New tooling. We'll see. Certainly the best value 140mm 29er out there. No question.

What else is there we should be comparing to?

mtbr member
    Giant Trance X 29, Transition Bandit 29, Kona Satori, Banshee Prime, maybe the Specialized Stumpy Evo?

mtbr member
    Giant Trance X 29, Transition Bandit 29, Kona Satori, Banshee Prime, maybe the Specialized Stumpy Evo?
    Pricing?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thank you Brant. I am very excited. We have 4 El Guapos in the famiy. We ride them hard, and love them! In my mind it is the best all-mountain bike available at a value that can't come close to being beat by any manufacturer. I am very excited to try the 29 inch version and potentially even replace my 26 inch El Guapo as my go-to, do-it-all bike. I have no doubt that the price will not only be competetive, but unmatched. Just trying to measure how many pennies I will need to save.

The only other bike I have really compared the El Guapo 29 to is the Transition Covert 29er, with 140mm rear wheel travel and a price of $1,700 USD (shock included). Given the two at the same price (although I expect the Titus to cost less), I would choose the Titus every time. I believe that it will be lighter, perform/ride better, and look better. Not to mention the exceptional customer service.

In August of this year I had the opportunity to visit the Titus location in Portland, OR with my brother and cousin on a bike trip. It was fun to meet the staff there, and show off our three different El Guapo builds. The staff was very friendly and exceptionally helpful.

Thanks for all you do!

mtbr member
    Frame/shock in the $1500 range, complete bikes in the low $3000's.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    ah so whoever said it was 699 (Monarch) was talking bollocks. no monarch option at all. don't believe everything you read on STW.

mtbr member

Not the price...

Frame/shock in the $1500 range, complete bikes in the low $3000's.
    I was just answering Brant's question about prices of other 29" bikes in a similar category.

Dozer
    I might include Santa Cruz Tallboy LT (aluminum) in that list.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    don't believe anything you hear on STW, just a bunch of audi boys that do laps of the local park on their ibis mojo's and single speeded, drop barred, fat bikes.

mtbr member
    Serious question about completes!

Can the suspension spec be a little more balanced than it is on the current 26er El Guapo X9? There's something blasphemous about having a CCDBa at one end, a Lyrik R at the other.

A Monarch RT3 and Rev RLT would be a good fit, if more expensive overall than CCDB/R. There's even a 140mm 29in Sektor RL on the way. That would be masses better balanced than the EG X9's set up.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast