mtbr member

El Guapo at Whistler

This past week, I was lucky enough to spend three full days riding my EG at Whistler (about 10:30am to 7:30-8:00pm every day). To say that we had a great time is a complete understatement since words really can't describe what it's like up there. You truly have to experience the place for yourself in order to understand it fully.

The EG did great with the same build shown here: First Titus, first full build! (with the exception of an Avalanche Chubbie shock (which is a flat out amazing piece of equipment) from Chris9702l)

The EG performed even better than I could have hoped and the only thing that I would change if given the chance would be to have slightly more front travel. 160mm is fine for a good portion of the riding in Whistler and it did not hinder any of my trail choices (Blue Velvet, Freight Train and Dirt Merchant being my favorites). However, I think that 170mm or 180mm would have made a noticeable difference in riding comfort, especially considering how torn up some of the trails were.

Since I am fairly certain that I had the only EG up there at the time, I just thought that I would share this so that anyone on the fence about taking their EG to Whistler would know that the bike is certainly up to the task and can even handle the trails that appear to be frequented by mostly the "bigger" bikes. If you get the chance to hit Whistler with your El Guapo, do it! You won't regret it for a moment.

Here is just a little taste of Whistler from the beginning of the Garbanzo chair, the view part way up and at the very top before heading into the woods.

mtbr member
    That's Awesome to hear. I'm heading up tomorrow evening with my V3 El Guapo for my first trip to the Whistler Bike Park. I've been on the fence about riding it every day up there but figured it would do great for the first day or two. It sounds like I wont need to rent a big bike at all.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I thought about renting a big bike too, but I had so much fun on the EG, I never felt the need.

Here a couple of action shots.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatmepants View Post

The EG performed even better than I could have hoped and the only thing that I would change if given the chance would be to have slightly more front travel. 160mm is fine for a good portion of the riding in Whistler and it did not hinder any of my trail choices (Blue Velvet, Freight Train and Dirt Merchant being my favorites). However, I think that 170mm or 180mm would have made a noticeable difference in riding comfort, especially considering how torn up some of the trails were.
    is that a VAN36 you are running there? if so, maybe if you ran a more progressive fork, you might find the travel to be ok. i definitely found my old VAN36 too linear, and had it bottoming way too easily whenever it was presented with any bigger drops or air time. i ended up running the firmer spring, which gave me way too little sag, and it didn't ride so well for trail riding. i ended up getting a float, which is at the other end of the spectrum (can't get full travel), but i haven't yet done any big stuff on it yet.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE[/QUOTE]

This is a great shot!

U $ 4 O?
    Cool stoke!Jealous......

oh, and new rc2= night and day difference

NOT Team Sanchez
    Shat,

Words do not adequately delineate my feelings of envy; you rock!

Yours Truly,

Wasea

I broke my arm in Brian Head, Utah two and half weeks prior to my family's trip to Whistler about five years ago. I have some pathetic shots of myself taken by my dad of me watching guys come of the GLC drop with full arm cast on
    Last edited by wasea04; 07-20-2012 at 06:47 PM.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sclyde2 View Post
    is that a VAN36 you are running there?

Yep, it's a 2010 version. I didn't have any problems with it bottoming out at all. But no matter how I set the high or low speed compression, I couldn't get it into smooth territory over the really torn up sections of trail and roots/rocks. Even with the lightest spring installed, the forks just transferred too much feedback to my arms. I actually ended up backing the high speed compression all the way out and that helped, but it was still pretty rough through the gnarly sections.

No matter though! I just picked up a set of 2012 Marzocchi 55 RC3 EVO Ti forks, so we will see how they work out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04 View Post
    Vesp,

Words do not adequately delineate my feelings of envy; you rock!

Yours Truly,

Wasea

I broke my arm in Brian Head, Utah two and half weeks prior to my family's trip to Whistler about five years ago. I have some pathetic shots of myself taken by my dad of me watching guys come of the GLC drop with full arm cast on

Man, that would be really, really tough to be right there and know you couldn't ride. I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully you will get another chance to head up there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I took my EG to Whistler last year. I wanted to save money, and ride my own bike. I swapped my Talas 36 for a Coil Totem 180 and Angleset, and my Monarch air for a Vivid Coil. It handled beautifully. I was really happy I made the decision to ride it.

However, when I got home, and started tearing my bike down for some new bits, and put my AM suspension back on, I discovered a crack in my top tube. I can't say for sure where or when it happened. I don't think it was any one moment, but just the result of 6 days 'going big' at whistler.

I personally will be renting or building a 'bigger' bike next time I go. I think I just went a bit outside what the frame was able to handle.

Any bike can be ridden at Whistler. It just depends on how big and how hard you ride it.

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about the crack...
    At least you had fun!
    "Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *MoonDogg* View Post
    I took my EG to Whistler last year. I swapped my Talas 36 for a Coil Totem 180 and Angleset, and my Monarch air for a Vivid Coil. It handled beautifully. I was really happy I made the decision to ride it.

However, when I got home I discovered a crack in my top tube.

I personally will be renting or building a 'bigger' bike next time I go. I think I just went a bit outside what the frame was able to handle.

Any bike can be ridden at Whistler. It just depends on how big and how hard you ride it.
    Wow, that really sucks! Where was the crack, at the headtube?

mtbr member

EG's are tough

but not that tough. It doesnt surprise me that it cracked with a 180mm fork and an angleset. I think the anglesets put even more leverage on the headtube, couple that with a 180mm fork and repeated hucks off the GLC drop and the poor EG didnt stand a chance. I hit that with my Delirium with a Totem and wonder if that frame will handle that abuse. I think the EG would be fine on Crank It Up, B Line, Blue Velvet, and most of Garbanzo but repeated Dirt Merchant, A-Line, Schleyer runs are beyond its intended use IMO. For those not familiar with the GLC, this video was last summer in Whistler shot on lower A-line, the GLC is at 3:05.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Let that be a lesson to you.

I mostly agree with you. However, I still think its a matter of how big you go. And the danger of going to Whistler for a week, is that your skill level and courage level increase dramatically. I wouldn't have broken it riding like I did on my first day. But by the 6th, I was going way bigger, and definitely beyond what the EG was designed for.

But I still think that any bike can be ridden there within it's limits. Just depends if you as a rider are going to stay within those limits. If not, get a bigger bike.

BTW: The top tube cracked at the head tube. Crack ran from the middle of one side, up over the top to the other side. I had it welded, heat treated, and powder coated. El Guapo rides again.

*MD*
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails El Guapo at Whistler-titus-el-guapo-crack-6_resize.jpg  

El Guapo at Whistler-headtubepatch.jpg  

El Guapo at Whistler-rebuilt2.jpg  

Last edited by *MoonDogg*; 08-24-2012 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Changed pictures.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    the patch up work is very well done.

so what's the verdict on the rear shock, is air better than coil on the EG?

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by *MoonDogg* View Post
    I had it welded, heat treated, and powder coated. El Guapo rides again.

*MD*
    Who performed the repair work and how much did it cost? if you don't mind me asking.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Richard View Post
    Who performed the repair work and how much did it cost? if you don't mind me asking.
    Had it welded by Johnny at True Torch in Santa Ana. Cool guy, builds BMX frames.

Had it heat treated at MIL Spec Heat Treating in Huntington Beach.

Powder coated by Olympic in Santa Ana

*MD*

U $ 4 O?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Richard View Post
    If you go to Olympic to look their chart, get there early in the day.. traffic is hell and they close up quick

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    I was curious as at one point I was considering having the chain stays shortened by 20mm and found it difficult to locate someone to perform the work, especialy the heat treating.

Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJ View Post
    If you go to Olympic to look their chart, get there early in the day.. traffic is hell and they close up quick
    Ya, I'm lucky in that I am literaly one block away from them. They did the stays on my EG in satin black.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails El Guapo at Whistler-blackreartriangle.jpg