mtbr member
    Mar 2004

El Guapo versions? v3 etc

Ok, it seems pretty well established that the latest version of the EG is the "v3".

So, just so it makes it easy to communicate a model on here, what is version 2 and what is version 1?

The problem I have is that there has been more than 3 versions (there have been 5 now), and the earliest versions are the ones that had the most changes.

My take on the history of the EG:
    ~2007 - original EG, with the 1-1/8 headtube. I know of no reported breakages of any part of that frame. Originally came with a RS pearl shock, but later models might have got the rp23. Light blue, ano black, gold...
    ~2009 - new hydro formed (or whatever tube shaping technology they use) front end, with the 1.5 headtube. Medium size gained about 0.2" in top tube length. came with the fox shock. Green, silver...
    ~2010 - new rear end, with the one piece seat stay, lighter chainstays too, definitely thinner material around the dropouts etc. Looks like it has retained the rocker, and geo has been unchanged. Back to rockshox, with the monarch rt3. Orange or brown.
    ~2011 - minor changes, with a tapered headtube, and changed cable routing (full housing, no headtube guides). I think this one came only in orange. So this is the v2?
    ~2012 - relatively minor changes, but big impact. It looks like they just moved the head tube slightly forward and up (moving it up angles the bike forwards/down, giving the low BB and steeper seat tube), and angled it slightly, to give a slacker head angle. this one comes in silver, black, white, and maybe orange. This is the v3.

So, which one is the v1, which one is the v2, and what versions are the others?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Think v1 started 2010 (least that's when bikerbob said they stop calling EG by model year)

V1 should've been the crown jewel Ti EG, though I remember seeing diff graphics on those too
    Last edited by Deerhill; 09-23-2012 at 11:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Model by year or the "V"s... all things point to present EG being optimized based on current market feedback/ demands for ever lighter builds. Maybe its just reaching a point of diminishing return with year on year tweaks. Else I say go back with what had worked for this frame in the past and stick with those instead of stretching and skewing the geom further...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by sclyde2 View Post
    Ok, it seems pretty well established that the latest version of the EG is the "v3".

So, just so it makes it easy to communicate a model on here, what is version 2 and what is version 1?

The problem I have is that there has been more than 3 versions (there have been 5 now), and the earliest versions are the ones that had the most changes.

My take on the history of the EG:
    ~2007 - original EG, with the 1-1/8 headtube. I know of no reported breakages of any part of that frame. Originally came with a RS pearl shock, but later models might have got the rp23. Light blue, ano black, gold...
    ~2009 - new hydro formed (or whatever tube shaping technology they use) front end, with the 1.5 headtube. Medium size gained about 0.2" in top tube length. came with the fox shock. Green, silver...
    ~2010 - new rear end, with the one piece seat stay, lighter chainstays too, definitely thinner material around the dropouts etc. Looks like it has retained the rocker, and geo has been unchanged. Back to rockshox, with the monarch rt3. Orange or brown.
    ~2011 - minor changes, with a tapered headtube, and changed cable routing (full housing, no headtube guides). I think this one came only in orange. So this is the v2?
    ~2012 - relatively minor changes, but big impact. It looks like they just moved the head tube slightly forward and up (moving it up angles the bike forwards/down, giving the low BB and steeper seat tube), and angled it slightly, to give a slacker head angle. this one comes in silver, black, white, and maybe orange. This is the v3.

So, which one is the v1, which one is the v2, and what versions are the others?
    v1 is the model that was current when Titus was acquired by Planet X/On-One in November 2010.

v2 and v3 go from there.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common