mtbr member
    Aug 2008

El Guapo V3 rear shock

I`m planning to change Monarch RT3 and i have some question before buying anything.
    1. Anyone tried fitting Manitou ISX-4(6)/Swinger Expert on El Guapo V3, because piggyback is in different place than it is in other shocks ?
    2. Is there any problem fitting a coil shock with rocker in progressive position ? As far as I know, there is a rubbing issue with CCDB and upper hole mount position.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I haven't used either of those two options, but I have run a Monarch plus RT3, and a roco coil on my EG without any issues.

mtbr member
    I've run a DSP Dueler in both positions with no problems.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for replies. Dsp is definitely on my shocks list for El Guapo. Assuming that there is no problem with it, DSP is number one now.

mtbr member
    I go back and forth with my PUSHED Monarch and the Dueler depending on the riding. No issues with the Dueler, its a great shock. Shoot Jared and email, tell him I sent you, he will probably throw in a hat if you ask him nice enough.
    Jared@dspracing.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I`m looking for a distributors in Europe, and so far the nearest are from UK and Germany. I hope they got Dueler in stock and I won`t have to wait a couple of months for it to be purchasable.

mtbr member
    You can buy them directly from DSP as well via Jared. I know the 8.5"x 2.5" is in stock as they just shipped me one to give away as a raffle prize at an upcoming Super D event.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I think there might be some issues ordering directly from DSP. I`m from Poland and it is much better for me buying stuff inside EU, faster shipping, no additional taxes. There is a used Dueler at ebay.de, however I don`t know if 450 spring rate won`t be too firm for me. I had a Van RC with 400 spring rate on Felt Redemption, and couple of times I bottomed it out.

mtbr member
    What is your body weight? Every frame has a different ratio in the suspension so 400 on a Felt means nothing compared to an El Guapo.

mtbr member
    I know in the past, Rollin'in'Zona ran an ISX-6 on a first generation EG. If I remember correctly, he loved it. Look him up.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I weight about 82-83 kg with gear. I`ve used this spring calculator: TF Tuned Shox - Spring Calculator, and it sounds that I need more than 400 spring rate.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    I know in the past, Rollin'in'Zona ran an ISX-6 on a first generation EG. If I remember correctly, he loved it. Look him up.
    I had an ISX-4 on Felt Redemption and I loved it too. El Guapo with ISX could be good as well. However I don`t know if there is some sort of rubbing/contact problem with rocker.

mtbr member
    So you are about 183 lbs. 450 lbs would be ideal, I used to run a 450 at that weight, I'm about 175 w/ gear now and run a 400. To my knowledge, there hasnt been any rubbing issues until the CCDB air.

Let the good times roll.
    Craig, what sag do you get with that setup?

I weigh a bit over 190 in gear, and had 30% sag with a 400 spring. I rode with a 450 spring (a bit less than 25% sag) for about a year before trying the 400 on a whim. Ended up liking it the lighter spring a lot more.

mtbr member
    I get about 25%, I like firm suspension, I would probably like a 375lb but those are pretty hard to find.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Monarch shocks. The RT3 is great. Depending on your riding, I love my Monarch Plus. I have run both the Monarch Plus R and the Monarch Plus RC3. Either way the Plus is a great inbetween shock; a little burlier than the RT3 but not as heavy as a coil. However, DSP are great if that fits your riding style.