mtbr member
    Mar 2007

El Guapo V3 - chain rubbing seatstay

I am putting together my new frame, and it seems my chain is rubbing the seatstay. I can't think of anything I did that would cause this. I just moved my parts over from my old frame (2009 El Guapo).

Anyone else seen this or have advice on how to resolve?

Thanks,

*MD*
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails El Guapo V3 - chain rubbing chainstay-imag0097.jpg  

Last edited by *MoonDogg*; 10-15-2012 at 01:51 PM. Reason: changed chainstay to seatstay

www.4estbiker.nl
    Oct 2012
    What kind of hub are you using?

mtbr member
    Sure looks like you are missing a spacer on the drive side of your hub, your cassette lockring shouldnt be that close to the drop out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I tore my cassette body down to clean it, and make sure it was adjusted correctly. There is nothing missing, it's built exactly how it should be. I put a different wheel on, and its pretty much the same.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails El Guapo V3 - chain rubbing chainstay-imag0099.jpg  

El Guapo V3 - chain rubbing chainstay-imag0098.jpg  

mtbr member
    I just looked at my V2, with 10 speed its really close to the seatstay/dropout but the chain makes a definite angle in when it comes off the smallest cog. Is it possible the spacing on your cranks is different? Do you have any spacers between the bearing cup and the frame on the drive side?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by *MoonDogg* View Post
    I tore my cassette body down to clean it, and make sure it was adjusted correctly. There is nothing missing, it's built exactly how it should be. I put a different wheel on, and its pretty much the same.
    Looks the same with my v3 on 2 different wheelset. It just lightly rub through.

What i did was put a patch of 3M scorcthgard sticker. That help protecting the paint so far

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Wheels/Hubs are Easton Havoc AM, and crankset is a Hammerschmidt. Everything is exactly the same as it was on my old frame.

Looking closer, it looks like the dropout might be just slightly further outboard than it should be compared to the opposite side, and compared to my old frame. Also, the weld on the drive side sticks out a lot further than on the opposite side, where it is very flat and flush with the dropout & stays.

I put a washer in there as a temporary solution.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails El Guapo V3 - chain rubbing chainstay-old-frame-1.jpg  

El Guapo V3 - chain rubbing chainstay-new-frame-1.jpg  

El Guapo V3 - chain rubbing chainstay-new-frame-2.jpg  

El Guapo V3 - chain rubbing chainstay-washer.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    you had me checking mine when i saw your pic!

am using the v3 as well and mine has the clearance.

hope the washer will be a temp solution.

mtbr member
    Are those Havoc Am hubs cup and cone by chance?

I remember needing to replace the axle on an old XT qr hub and that thing was a headache to get the cup/cone torqued back in the right spot. Used to cause similar problem on my ML, think I had to count 4 threads on each end or something like that

mtbr member
    Comparison to the old 09 EG dropouts is like apples to oranges. The V2-V3 have totally different shaped tubing in the rear stays. I would suggest a thinner washer you dont want to spread out the rear triangle any more then you have to. I used to have a HS on my 09 Delirium T, if I remember they kind of sit outboard a little more then a standard crankset in terms of chainline, that might be the issue?

mtbr member
    Just out of curiousity, do you have a spacer on the bottom bracket on the drive side? Reason I ask (and I could be wrong), the V3 has a 73mm BB and I believe the 09 had a 68mm BB, HS install instructions, say one 2.5mm spacer on the 68mm and no spacer on the 73mm, if you swapped it straight over with a spacer, that could be the problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    @DeerhillJ: No it's not, and there is no adjustment for the axle in the Havoc hub.

@craigstr: The shape of tubing is irrelevant. The clearance required for the chain is the same. In relation to the plane of the dropout, the seatstay on my new frame, on the drive side, appears to sit further inboard than on the non-drive side. Also, the weld on the drive side sticks out a great deal further than the non-drive side. This is where my chain is rubbing. I believe the dropout is ever so slightly mis-aligned, and the weld poorly placed.

Also, the shell on my old frame is 73mm, and I'm not using any of the HS spacers.

As far as the washer, I do plan on putting a smaller one, though the one in there actually fits without having to spread the rear triangle. Actually, when not using the spacer, and clamping down the skewer, the dropout is pulled in quite a bit. I noticed this the first time I mounted the wheel, and before I noticed the chain rubbing. Another reason for me to believe the dropout is not aligned correctly.

*MD*

mtbr member
    MD...I was just trying to rule out all user error. When I was comparing the tubing shape I just meant it would be hard to compare due to the different shapes. It is clear something not right with that dropout. Have you contacted Titus to see if they can ship you a new seatstay?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I appreciate your input. You brought up few things I had not thought about, like the shell width and spacers.

I did send an email to their tech support address, but have not heard back from them.

*MD*

mtbr member
    May 2008
    dropout isn't welded on right surely?

wheel should slot in there perfectly, like mine does.. you can get that massive washer in there without force, something very wrong!