Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    what's that rattle?

New question here. El Guapo Tire Advice

I'm looking for a new rear tire for my Guapo. Currently running a 2.35 DTC Excavator; the tire has great grip and works well for my kind of terrain but I'd prefer something a little faster rolling.

I also want something shorter. The casing on the tire just clears the front derailleur stop so the tread basically becomes a brake-slash-bell every time I bottom out. This leads to a few wobbles on landings! Any advice is appreciated - the frame is an '08 large and rim is a 5.1d.
    Attached Images Attached Images

NOT Team Sanchez
    For a fast rolling setup I like the WTB Motoraptor 2.4, for more aggressive stuff I like the WTB Prowler MX 2.5......still rolls pretty fast too.
    I like bikes.

what's that rattle?
    If the widths on the WTB site are close to right, the 2.5 Prowler will still buzz. The 2.24 Moto Raptor could be worth a try, though.

I suppose your DHX coil would keep the bottoming to a minimum on your Guapo.

NOT Team Sanchez
    I don't know that I've ever buzzed my seat tube on my Guap' but my Bullit has huge skid marks on it's seat tube, all this talk of skid marks on "seat"tubes is kind of funny
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blofeld
    If the widths on the WTB site are close to right, the 2.5 Prowler will still buzz. The 2.24 Moto Raptor could be worth a try, though.
    I've never had a Prowler, but I do have 2.24" MotoRaptor, and they're small. Mine are mounted on Mavic 719's. Measument at the casing is 1.96". I'm not saying this is a bad tire. It's just smaller than advertised, but it does work well as a rear.

WTB Moto Raptor Race 2.24"

what's that rattle?
    Quote Originally Posted by sixate
    I've never had a Prowler, but I do have 2.24" MotoRaptor, and they're small. Mine are mounted on Mavic 719's. Measument at the casing is 1.96". I'm not saying this is a bad tire. It's just smaller than advertised, but it does work well as a rear.
    It's hilarious how the inch measurements on most tires don't mean anything. It might make more sense to call the different sizes small, medium and large. WTB also gives a 54mm tread width for that tire, which is really close to what your calipers say.

what's that rattle?
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    I don't know that I've ever buzzed my seat tube on my Guap' but my Bullit has huge skid marks on it's seat tube, all this talk of skid marks on "seat"tubes is kind of funny
    What does that say about your confidence on the Titus??

It's possible that your cable stop is in a slightly better spot than mine. I'm also going to try the higher shock linkage hole to see if it feels more progressive.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by sixate
    Strictly as a rear... decent, but aim at the 2.4", which comes a bit smaller than a Kenda 2.35". The 2.4" is considerably bigger than the 2.24" and the 2.14" (I've had the 2.24" and the 2.4")

As a rear, they do the job, but they are NOT fast by any stretch of imagination. They have pretty good traction and clean decently. They are really nice in intermediate to loose, but what tyre isn't?

Don't ever try it up front unless you like the adrenaline rush of imminent damage...

Now... in durability is second to none. Very tough tyres.
    Check my Site

what's that rattle?
    Been reading through some German .pdfs from the Tires forum. They really seem to like their Fat Alberts and Nobby Nics (sehr gut ). Schwalbe's 2.25 size looks like it would clear my cable stop, but the advertisements for the 8.3kg "mountain bike" make me wonder about their traction ratings.

Any Schwalbe fans out there?

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    I love Schwalbe tyres UNTIL they puncture which seems to happen every ride at the moment.
    great tyres, great grip, roll fast, light .... but fragile and expensive

screamer
    The Schwalbe snakeskin versions are much more durable in my experience. The nobby nic is a great tire, but I'd classify it as more XC. Definitely fast & light (2.4 is really more like a 2.3, so would help w/your clearance issues). For looser terrain I'd try a Fat Albert up front.

Speaking of WTB tires, favorites in these parts (NorCal, WTB HQ) are standard Weirwolfs in the front and the low-knob 2.55 Weirwolf LT in the rear. Pretty damn fast combo and won't break the bank. Check old posts, but as I recall other EG owners are running this setup without issues.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    does the snakeskin improve only the sidewall or does it thickenstrengthen the actual treaded surface too?

what's that rattle?
    The Weirwolf LTs might be worth a shot. Especially if they're cheap! I looked around a bit, and it does seem that a lot of people are running tires at least as big as my 2.35 Kendas on their Guapos without getting tire buzz. I'm not really that keen to go to an XC tire, maybe something else is wrong...

From the side profiles it looks like my cable stop is in the normal place - is it possible for an RP23 to have a longer than normal stroke?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by budgie
    The Schwalbe snakeskin versions are much more durable in my experience. The nobby nic is a great tire, but I'd classify it as more XC. Definitely fast & light (2.4 is really more like a 2.3, so would help w/your clearance issues). For looser terrain I'd try a Fat Albert up front.
    Can't say enough good things about the Schwalbe's. I'm on my second set of Big Betty 2.4's on the Guapo and I'm running Fat Albert 2.25's on the Motolite. Great traction, rolling and breaking all in a fairly lightweight tire. I've only run the Snakeskin version, but have had no trouble with sidewall durability. So far it's my favorite tire for the loose over hard-pack that we have here in the desert.

screamer
    I'm no expert, but I don't think it does. You can see the reinforcing fibers on the sidewalls, but I can't see any differences on the casing. It's mostly the weak sidewalls that I've heard people complain about (which I suppose is how they get a sub-600 gram 2.4 nobby nic), but like I said the snakeskin helps a whole lot.

I'm running stan's tubeless (on arch rims), and it's been very trouble-free with the schwalbe tires. They roll really well around 20psi basically across the board. Can't really comment on performance with tubes.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    typical my luck is the puncture always occurs between the knobs and the sidewalls are ok!
    I use Stans too but the cuts ive had from rocks etc are just too big to seal.
    I do rate them though and Ill go back to them when riding less harsh trails

what's that rattle?

Thanks!

Thanks for all the advice on faster rolling tires. It doesn't look like there's a magic bullet in terms of a Guapo appropriate tire that will solve the seat tube buzz, so my shopping can gear back down to 'casual'. I'll definitely be keeping some of the suggestions in mind!

Incidentally, I tried the upper pivot location (with my fingers crossed) but got top tube contact with about 1/4" of shock travel left. Also stuck my MotoLite wheel on the Guapo - A 2.1 Fire XC clears the cable stop by about 6mm and it looks hilarious between the big stays!

The current experiment is a 3.3cc shim in the HV can...

mtbr member
    I am in the process of building up an EG now. I was seriously considering the Kenda Small Block 8. I think it comes in 3 sizes. I was thinking 2.35 front 2.1 rear. Something to consider.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wh...20_151crx.aspx
    Common sense is not so common.

NOT Team Sanchez

Not for rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealStig
    I am in the process of building up an EG now. I was seriously considering the Kenda Small Block 8. I think it comes in 3 sizes. I was thinking 2.35 front 2.1 rear. Something to consider.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wh...20_151crx.aspx
    If your trails are smooth with few rocks then the small block 8's would be great, not sure I'd ever run one up front, but I've got a few friends who run them in back for xc type stuff. When they take them on our regular trails they skip around quite a bit in the rough.
    I like bikes.

RHRF!

I like the 2.35 SB8's...

I used them front and rear on my last trip to St. George and I didn't have any issues - 2009 St. George Trip

...and they do absolutely 'rule' on the 'Goose Slickrock!
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

NOT Team Sanchez

I stand corrected...........

Quote Originally Posted by titusbro
    I used them front and rear on my last trip to St. George and I didn't have any issues - 2009 St. George Trip

...and they do absolutely 'rule' on the 'Goose Slickrock!
    I can see how'd they rule on Goose, and I watched your vids and have to agree that they did well on rocks I bet they roll super fast as well judging by the tread.
    I like bikes.

Bike to the Bone...
    Been reading through some German .pdfs from the Tires forum. They really seem to like their Fat Alberts and Nobby Nics (sehr gut ). Schwalbe's 2.25 size looks like it would clear my cable stop, but the advertisements for the 8.3kg "mountain bike" make me wonder about their traction ratings.

Any Schwalbe fans out there?
    What about anti NN?

I had a 2.4 and a 2.25, the front was a poor choice, and at the rear decent on hard to not too loose, make it loose or wet and sucked.

The 2.4 is a large tire, I don't know if it would prevent the tire rubbing in your seatpost.

what's that rattle?
    Took the Guapo for a ride last night. Conditions are getting really loose as it hasn't rained in a while and the we-walk-downhill Lycra crowd is doing a lot of offroad training getting ready for the Canada Cup. On the plus side, after shimming the RP23 I was able to drop the air pressure 20PSI and only heard the buzz once! This probably will open up some options in terms of tire choice.

A SB8 could be a good choice for the rear with the Nevegal or Excavator up front. Any comment on how much it surfs when it gets really loose?

The 2.4 NN is about the same size as the 2.35 Nevegal and looks like it would paddle a bit more than the SB8 or Weirwolf LT. Is the rubber a harder compound compared to the other Schwalbes to make it suck in the wet?

Was also looking at a 2.35 High Roller, although I have no idea of what it's actual size would be.

Bike to the Bone...
    Took the Guapo for a ride last night. Conditions are getting really loose as it hasn't rained in a while and the we-walk-downhill Lycra crowd is doing a lot of offroad training getting ready for the Canada Cup. On the plus side, after shimming the RP23 I was able to drop the air pressure 20PSI and only heard the buzz once! This probably will open up some options in terms of tire choice.

A SB8 could be a good choice for the rear with the Nevegal or Excavator up front. Any comment on how much it surfs when it gets really loose?

The 2.4 NN is about the same size as the 2.35 Nevegal and looks like it would paddle a bit more than the SB8 or Weirwolf LT. Is the rubber a harder compound compared to the other Schwalbes to make it suck in the wet?

Was also looking at a 2.35 High Roller, although I have no idea of what it's actual size would be.
    The NN 2.4 felt larger than the 2.35 Nevegal, not much, but it fel larger. I just didn't like the performance. It was the EVO with Snakeskin. I felt it was very slippery and didn't provide enough traction, where the Nevegal did work fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    If your trails are smooth with few rocks then the small block 8's would be great, not sure I'd ever run one up front, but I've got a few friends who run them in back for xc type stuff. When they take them on our regular trails they skip around quite a bit in the rough.
    Hard pack single-track is all I ride here (SE Tx.). I think the SB 8's will be a good match for the local trails. Downside is they probably wear pretty fast on pavement.
    Common sense is not so common.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast