mtbr member
    Dec 2010

El Guapo thru axle?

Any rumors of 12mm thru axle in near future?

At Work
    um. Titus shut their doors 2 months ago. They have been bought out recently and under new ownership. At this point they are still trying to get a direction on where to go and how to get there.
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure
    Any rumors of 12mm thru axle in near future?
    Future, yes. Near future, no.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Future, yes. Near future, no.
    Any possibility of you sharing news of the bike(s) Titus had in the pipeline before they went under? There was a rumor of a longer travel bike. I can understand if you'd like to keep some secrets, but how about sparking some interest/debate around here.

Inquiring minds want to know.
    Extreme stationary biker.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    Any possibility of you sharing news of the bike(s) Titus had in the pipeline before they went under? There was a rumor of a longer travel bike. I can understand if you'd like to keep some secrets, but how about sparking some interest/debate around here.

Inquiring minds want to know.
    I do not have much info right now. We will be fairly open and early about sharing new designs, but what was planned by the old management may or may not be used by us in the future.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Well if going by all the threads on the EG-- it should be a stayer in the Titus line
    Future proofing the rear axle with 12 mm (and ideally with options that can fit other sizes) would be sound. Personally I dont have much complaints with the rest of the frame.

Fembot in a Wet T-Shirt
    Jul 2010
    I'm hoping we see a carbon El Guapo with thru axle, something to compete with the Nomad and Mojo HD.

mtbr member

Don't you mean

Quote Originally Posted by anvil_den
    it should be a stayer in the Titus line
    Future proofing the rear axle with 12 mm (and ideally with options that can fit other sizes) would be sound. Personally I dont have much complaints with the rest of the frame.
    slayer in the Titus line

Splitting hairs- possibly adjustable/slacker head angle, post mount rear brakes.

DT-ST rocker mount to make use of a 12mm axle. You could come down sideways and that thing wouldn't budge

NOT Team Sanchez
    12mm dropouts are nice, but a nearly identical performance can be achieved with a good 10mm thru axle........the grass is always greener on the other side, but you still have to mow it
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    when i first got my EG (the "original" '08 model), I did a bit of tinkering to see if a 8.75x2.75 shock would fit. it was so close, but not quite - the end of the shock would touch the seat tube. if there was a small well placed dint in the front of the seat tube (not more than a few mm), it would've been in business. the clearances every where else were fine. had it fit, it would've have simply had another ~15mm of travel at the top end, raising the un-sagged BB slightly. same bottom out. I reckon a EG with that setup, 170mm of air suspension front and back would be the ticket. the bike as is certainly has the strength/stiffness to deal with that kind of travel. i have no complaints about the stiffness of my bike with a bolt-on chris king rear hub. yeah, a true thru axle in 12mm would have more stiffness, but i doubt that i'd notice it.

mtbr member

Yup. Post mount rear

Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJDOG
    slayer in the Titus line

Splitting hairs- possibly adjustable/slacker head angle, post mount rear brakes.
    Angled headset, a bit more tedious but a better bet.

I have seen some frames with adjustable headtubes failed. Just too much stress in that area to have it go with the ability to be loosened and adfjusted with a couple of bolts and a off centered- sleeve. Not sure if there are other designs around...

Ok slayer it is. I'm not contesting

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    12mm dropouts are nice, but a nearly identical performance can be achieved with a good 10mm thru axle........the grass is always greener on the other side, but you still have to mow it
    I find myself getting away with a lot on this bike just having a short and long stem to swap, and the right set of wheels. 10mm rear is stiff.. bike does what it was designed for. I don't think adding just a 12mm rear will add anything but cost.

Evolving the design and taking it to the next level, to me would mean adding a bit of weight to the down tube to counter the twisting/torque that comes from more abuse.

A simple down tube to seat tube brace to cut cost, or rocker mount similar to the main pivot with some wicked rifled tube forming to give a new look. I always thought the chain stays looked ripped, this would give it a 6-pack too.
    Last edited by Deerhill; 01-15-2011 at 11:23 PM.