mtbr member
    Jul 2006

El Guapo swing arm yoke contacts SLX short cage front der. in lowest gear

Has anyone here installed a Shimano SLX double chain ring crankset with an SLX M665 front derailleur (high clamp, short cage, 36 tooth max.) on a 2010 El Guapo frame without running into clearance issues with the frameís swing arm yoke and the derailleur cage while in the granny gear?

I installed this setup on my new í10 El Guapo frame and became immediately concerned with how close the front der. cage is to the frameís swing arm yoke. My crankset is the SLX M660 triple-ring version, but converted to a double after replacing the 44 tooth chain ring with a Race Face 34 tooth bash guard. The cranks were installed with the bottom bracket spacer ring positioned on the frameís drive side. When I shift gears to the low/low position (22 tooth granny front/34 tooth cog back), the bottom tip of the front der. cage comes very close to the swing arm yoke. Being concerned with this, I removed the frameís shock and then, by hand, rotated the rear suspension through its travel. Sure enough, a little over halfway into its travel, the swing arm yoke comes into contact with the bottom tip of the front der. cage.

I believe the front der. is setup correctly. The outside of the cage is positioned ~3mm above the 34 tooth bash guard when in high gear, and when in low/low gear the chain is ~0.5-1.0mm from the inside of the cage. Exactly how it should be. However, even when I move the front der. clamp up the seat tube as high as itís designed to be (i.e., if it were positioned to clear an SLX 36 tooth bash guard), the bottom tip of the der. cage still strikes the swing arm yoke when rotated upwards.

If anyone has run into this problem and knows how to solve it please respond.

Side note: In the meantime, Iím successfully running my triple ring setup on this frame with a 44 tooth max. XT front der. without any swing arm yoke clearance issues. However, I really want to put my bash guard back on WITH the short cage SLX front der.

mtbr member

I have no problems

I have the double specific SLX front der with a RF crank wit bash with no problems, I recently changed to X9 2x10 up front with no problems. Do you have a picture?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

I'd seen your (previous) setup, among many others I'd seen Googling around, but...

I'm wondering if it's because I'm running an SLX M660 crankset (without the large ring) combined with the short cage SLX derailleur on the í10 Guapo frame thatís the culprit (Iíve only seen pictures/setups so far of current El Guapo frames running the SLX M665 crankset that includes the factory-included 36-tooth bash guard). Perhaps it's because the M660 crankset's granny gear lies more inboard than yours and other crankset's grannies, but I seriously doubt it.

Unfortunately I donít have a pic of the previous setup since Iíd converted back to the triple ring/full-length XT front der. However, Iím really itching to go back and try again, since I really want to run the bash/SLX short cage setup real bad, and could provide a pic if necessary.

Man, Iím going to be really embarrassed if itís something obvious that Iíve overlooked. Thank you though for your input, and but please donít hesitate to respond with any other thoughts.

mtbr member

Driveside spacer?

Do you have a spacer between the bearing cup and frame on the drive side? One is required on RF cranks and the SRAM X9 bottom bracket as well. I dont remember if the SLX requires one but i assume it would so that it could accomodate both 68 & 73mm BB's. I know you can install the BB without it and the front der will adjust far enough inward to get the chain on the small ring but you will run into clearance problems.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Yes, definately...

Yes, buried in the info from the original post, "The cranks were installed with the bottom bracket spacer ring positioned on the frameís drive side." Good question no doubt, but yes, with the spacer ring on drive side, still the bottom tip of the der. cage hits the swing arm yolk when the suspension is fully compressed

mtbr member

Minute adjustment

The front der is probably a little low, try raising it so its about 1/4"/3/8" above the middle ring and maybe angle it so the back is slightly further out than the front. Mine is really close but it doesnt hit.