mtbr member
    Mar 2010

El Guapo sizing advice

I'm about to jump on the On One's bargain on El Guapo frame. However, I have some minor doubts regarding frame size. I don't have a possibility to test different framesizes, so I tought I'd ask here.

As I am 1.83 cm (about 6 feet) tall with an inseam of approx. 32/33 inches, I feel that I probably could do with either M or L sized frame, but am not completely sure which size would be optimal for me. I'm strongly leaning towards one of the two sizes, but as this would be my first full sus bike, I would like to be completely sure before ordering. So any info on what size El Guapo frames are you rocking and rider sizes as well as recommendations for the right framesize for me would be appreciated.

At the moment I only have a size L (19") hardtail with a horizontal top tube length of 600 mm, which seems to be the right size for me for XC.

mtbr member

6' w/ 33" inseam

I'm on a large with a 60mm stem, I ride mostly AM/Trail with it with some occasional light freeride. I built a medium for my buddy and I dont think I could ride it comfortably, its just too small.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Sweet, that's good to hear. I was in the same boat as I am 5'11" 32 inch and I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a large EG frame. I was worried it was going to be too big with the slacker seattube angle. It looks like it should fit well with a shorter stem. I'm thinking about slacking the HT angle to 67deg as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I would recommend the large.

mtbr member
    I would also say large. Compared to the FTM the EG is more on par with other brands medium bikes (specialized, kona)
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

Master of None
    I have owned an '08 medium and now own a '10 large. I'm 6'1, 34" inseam. They both fit pretty good, the medium was more nimble downhill, easier to manual and j-hop. The large feels better on the climbs with the longer top tube. So I guess it depends on what your priority is.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks everyone. I was veering towards the Large myself, but had slight doubts on the back of my head.

I actually went ahead and pre-ordered the frame already on Sunday. It's going to take me a few months to gather all the components and sort out the finances, but right now I feel great since I have the first, and the most important piece of my puzzle in place...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by presslab
    I have owned an '08 medium and now own a '10 large. I'm 6'1, 34" inseam. They both fit pretty good, the medium was more nimble downhill, easier to manual and j-hop. The large feels better on the climbs with the longer top tube. So I guess it depends on what your priority is.
    I did this with the moto. Have a large EG though

The next size down is fun, kind of like a bmx you can flip around like nobodies bidness.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Just under 6',33 inseam ride a medium for mostly technical and jumps,but climbs really well too and boy does it respond in turns!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Just a quick thank you for all the sizing advices. Finally got the bike built (took me longer than I tought to gather all the parts), and the size seems to be dead on with a 60 mm. stem.

A couple of quick cell phone shots of the bike on the trail:

It is still work in process, but so far I'm loving the bike. Still playing around with the shock and fork settings to find a balance between the two, and I'm going to ditch the big ring for a bash (and maybe a chain guide). The tyres will probably change too (I got these dead cheap from one of my LBSs), at the moment I am thinking of going with 2.4" Maxxis Ardents for F and R. I'm not too sure on the rotor sizes either, but got this set (203F, 160R) cheap, so we'll see. Most likely will also pick a dropper post in a few months...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Very nice,I ride the piss out of mine,which I bought on a whim could not pass up the deal,2010 frame as new,07 fox van 36,CK headset two shocks and front derail for 650.00.one of the best jumping frames been on to date.I but a Diverse coil shock on mine much better all around for my riding style.