Zero to drunk in $20

El Guapo Shock Mounting woes

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a Cane Creek Double Barrel to replace the Rock Shox Pearl 3.1 that my '08 El Guapo came with. You may remember a thread a couple weeks back asking for advice on that purchase.

Anyhow, I snagged the Double Barrel and when went to install it, I found that the mounting bushings are not the same size between the CCDB and the Pearl. I measured everything using my cheapo Kobalt vernier calipers and here is what I found:

The mounting hardware's outer diameter is 12.04mm
    The Pearl's bushing inner diameter is 11.98mm
    The CCDB's bushing inner diameter is 12.56mm.

You can see that the mounting hardware is really close to the pearls bushing size so it fits in the snugly. With that hardware, there is a bunch of play if I use it with the CCDB. So, my question is do I need new hardware, or new bushing for the Double Barrel? Where would I find this stuff?

Thanks for any help, I hope what I've described here makes sense.

mtbr member

Call Cane Creek

They should be able to help you out. I remember someone a while back having a similar problem, I think the CCDB uses a different type of hardware.

Zero to drunk in $20
    I'll call them tomorrow, thanks.

I figured someone else would have run into this.

Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    They should be able to help you out. I remember someone a while back having a similar problem, I think the CCDB uses a different type of hardware.

Zero to drunk in $20
    Finally got this figured out and the shock mounted.

I called Cane Creek and spoke to Malcolm and he helped me out. I have an older DB that has the DU bushings, rather than the newer spherical bushings. The mounting hardware i just bigger than that of the pearl and that was all that needed to be replaced.

Cane Creek was awesome, considering that I was calling to troubleshoot mounting a shock for which I'm not the original owner.