mtbr member
    Aug 2010

El Guapo shock for Heavy guy.

I wanted to know if there would be a better choice in a rear shock other than the Monarch rt3 for 230lbs rider. I find the shock to be on the harsher side when descending and will never be the best climber so would like a bit plusher shock. I have bottomed it out on moderate trails and on jumps my tire is rubbing the seat tube. If anyone can comment the shocks I listed below that would be great.

CCDB air? Too many adjustments?
    RS Vivid air? Will it fit?
    RS Monarch Plus?
    Xfusion Vector Air? Have the coil version on my dh rig and really like it.

Thanks for any help

mtbr member
    All the shocks should fit without any problems. I've heard good things about the Monarch Plus. I also heard the PUSH had some Monarchs left over in various sizes, you might try calling them, my PUSHED Monarch is amazing.

RHRF!

+ 1 for the DSP Dueler!

I've got a 2008 Ti EG and I have had the Fox RP23, the Monarch Plus RC3, and currently the DSP Dueler. My 'usual' riding weight ranges from 220-250 (I'm at the high-end now - ) and I ride aggressive All-Mountain but still like to pedal to the top. Being a 'Clydesdale', I don't worry about bike weight as much and I tend to look for durability and performance.

Impressions/Experiences -
    RP23 (Large Canister), Air pressure - 180lbs, 30% sag - The stock shock. Very plush on the low-speed hits but I found it had serious 'wallowing' on high-speed, rocky descents. I also did the 'shim-mod' to the canister and it did 'quiet' the wallowing a bit. The bike climbed 'well' but I did notice a lot of pedal and crank strikes. Switched out to a 'Pushed' Monarch Plus RC3...

RC3 - Air pressure - 190lbs. 35% sag - The opposite happened with this shock. I found low-speed riding a bit harsh, but the high-speed wallowing disappeared and the bike got really smooth the faster and chunkier the trail. Climbing was improved but one thing I didn't like was that I could never get full travel out of the shock - even running 38% sag. Still looking for better all-around performance, I switched out to the DSP Dueler...

Dueler - 600lb spring, 1-turn pre-load - First thing I noticed after installing this shock was the climbing performance - it was phenomenal! The bike never climbed so well. I live in AZ, where technical climbing abounds and I felt like I was on a new bike - cleaning uphill tech like crazy, and all I had to do was keep pedaling. But alias, the high-speed descents were harsh again. Well after much 'tuning' of the HS/LS compression damping, and finally getting the pre-load set up correctly, I am totally in love with this shock. Super plush on the low speed hits, excellent hook-up on all technical climbs and the descents are butter - much better than the RC3 ever was!

With the Dueler, I got everything I was hoping for - small-bump smoothness, excellent tech climbing behavior, and butter on even the gnarly-ist high speed descents.

Bottom line - I would recommend the Dueler for any El Guapo 'Clyde' rider looking to enhance an already great climbing/descending bike.
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

mtbr member
    Yes the dueler is an amazing shock at an amazing price. They will be available soon from BTI so many shops and internet sites will have them. PM me if you want one, I can connect you with the canadian distributor.

mtbr member
    My feeling is that HL bikes were made for coil shocks. I had an old Specialized FSR that I ran with a Pushed Fox Vanilla with a BETD link giving close to 5.7 inches of travel. Went from this to a ML. While the ML was a great bike, that old bike with a coil shock was a ton more efficient pedaling. Putting a coil on a ML improved that bike 100% as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

x3

8.5 x 2.5 coil is a beautiful thing

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for the replies. I think I have narrowed it down to the Vivid Air and the DSP Dueler. Still looking at the Vivid Air as it seems like it can offer best of both worlds or air and coil. I have read nothing but great things about both shocks so that makes it difficult. Any more info is always appreciated. Thanks.