Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    thanks for the opinions but what with riding trail upwards?Will it be ok or I'm gonna learn to wheelie my way up??

mtbr member
    You won't wheelie up, it's very balanced.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    thanks lads

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by aoio View Post
    thanks for the opinions but what with riding trail upwards?Will it be ok or I'm gonna learn to wheelie my way up??
    Yes indeed, I'm amazed with this bike's geometry - so well balanced with 160 fork while uphil, going up like XC bike, so I never use my 130 travel in Lyrik

mtbr member
    Hi,
    I'm happy new owner of a Titus ElGuapo v2 (a 2010 frame), the one with straith 1.5' headtube . I need to replace the headset, any advice considering I'm using a 1 1/8' fork ? I'm a bit lost with all the standard, Thanks !

mtbr member

That is actually a V1

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolo38 View Post
    Hi,
    I'm happy new owner of a Titus ElGuapo v2 (a 2010 frame), the one with straight 1.5' headtube . I need to replace the headset, any advice considering I'm using a 1 1/8' fork ? I'm a bit lost with all the standard, Thanks !
    V1 had straight 1.5" HT. V2 had a tapered, V3 is the current model with tapered HT and revised geometry. You would need a 1.5" reducer headset like this:
    Universal Cycles -- FSA Big Fat Pig Reducer Headset

mtbr member
    Thanks for yuor answer, I'll go for something like that. I'll post some pix once bike is ready

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolo38 View Post
    Thanks for yuor answer, I'll go for something like that. I'll post some pix once bike is ready
    Example of an applicable headset (Assuming 1.5" was 49mm)

Acros AI 25 ZS49 28 6 ZS49 30 Headset 1 5" Reducer | eBay

mtbr member
    Great, the built is finished now, I just need to adjust shox settings, and ride ....

mtbr member
    Hi,
    First test today, bike works verywell, but is not as plush as I expected (I'm running a fox RP23 shox) : could you give me any sample of shox pressure for your weight?
    I'm 140 lbs, set-it up at 130 psi, and it seems to use it all , and really efficient on .
    pedalling.
    thanks for advice

mtbr member
    What is your sag measurement? The RP 23's on the V1 were not the best shocks, people had to run unusually high pressures to get the correct sag and not blow through the travel. There are ways to shim the air can to get the shock to be more plush.

mtbr member
    SAG looked correct to me, between 25% to 30% (I'll measure more precisely). Good thing is that I feel I blow less travel on way up for instance, compared to other bike when climbing up it can go over 50% travel.

mtbr member
    I found this thread from a few years back to show you how to shim the RP23, it really helps it become plusher but yet not bottom out easily.
    2010 EG RP 23 HV w/Boostvalve mod

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Updated!
    Titus El Guapo V3 's Description:
    Fork - 2011 Fox Float 36 RC2
    Rear Shox - Rockshox Monarch RT3
    Shifters - Shimano Saint M810
    Rear Derailleur - Shimano Siant M810 SGS
    Brake Levers - Shimano XTR M988
    Brakes - Shimano XTR M988
    Brake Rotors - Shimano IceTech 203mm (F) Shimano IceTech 180mm (R)
    Crankset - Shimano SLX
    Bottom Bracket - Shimano XT
    Pedals - HT AE01
    Cassette - Shimano Deore XT
    Chainring - Blackspire Super Pro 32t
    Chain Guide - MRP S4
    Chain - Taya NOVE-91 Ultra Light Ti-Gold
    Rims - Sun Ringle EQ27
    Spokes - Wheelsmith
    Hubs - Hope Pro Evo 2
    Tyres - Panaracer CG AM 2.35
    Skewers - Hope (R)
    Headset - Smoothie Mixer Tapered
    Stem - Answer DJ
    Handlebar - Answer DH
    Grips - Answer DH
    Seatpost - DSP Bighorn 30.9mm
    Seat Clamp - Da Bomb Bomb Clamp 34.9mm
    Saddle - Da Bomb Skull 2.0

Loving the dropper! Just need more practice! KS Lev will be next once this Bighorn is done!

mtbr member
    The Bighorn looks awesome on that bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    The Bighorn looks awesome on that bike!
    Yes it is! All thanks to anvil_den!

mtbr member
    El Guapo Set-Up Data Base-20130301_140316_zpsc2acb4c5.jpg
    My do it all bike for Socal slaying. It pedals like a trail bike and descends like a sled. It weighs somewhere between 35 and 36 pounds. Unfortunately I'm going to have to sell the frameset. It was rawed by the previous owner.

Frame / Shock: 2010 Titus El Guapo V2 (LG) / Marzocchi Roco WC
    Fork / Headset: Marzocchi 66 RCV 180mm / Cane Creek 10 1.5"
    Handlebars / Stem: Black Market Way Low 787 (cut to 30.5") with ODI Rogue grips / Truvativ Hollzfeller 40mm
    Saddle / Seatpost: Avenir 300 series mountain / Thomson clamped with Sette QR Collar
    Brakes / Rotors: Magura MT2 / Magura Storm SL
    Cranks / BB: Raceface Atlas AM bash-32-22 / Hope stainless
    Front Derailleur / Shifter: SRAM X7 Top Swing / SRAM X7
    Rear Derailleur / Shifter: SRAM X7 Medium Cage / SRAM X7
    Cassette / Chain: SRAM PG970 / SRAM PC970
    Pedals: Forte Convert
    Rims / Hubs: Stans ZTR Flow / SRAM X9 (20mm F, 12mm R with azonic 12 to 10mm axle)
    Tires: WTB Dissent UST 2.3 Tubeless

Long live the ASR-7
    I've been digging around on fit for the EG and haven't seen many taller riders. I'm nearly 6'4"/192cm. I just sold a size Large Yeti 575 that was too small for me and I'm searching for my new bike. All of the size measurements of a Large EG are even smaller than my old 575. Should I quit looking at the EG all together?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Doba View Post
    I've been digging around on fit for the EG and haven't seen many taller riders. I'm nearly 6'4"/192cm. I just sold a size Large Yeti 575 that was too small for me and I'm searching for my new bike. All of the size measurements of a Large EG are even smaller than my old 575. Should I quit looking at the EG all together?
    Yes, quit looking at the EG. In fact quit looking at mountain bikes. Take up basketball and make some money

mtbr member
    I am 6'4" and the large guapo fit me well, but I did have a 7" fork on mine.

Long live the ASR-7
    I've got a 160mm TALAS from my last build. I'm just worried about feeling cramped in the cockpit and feeling over the bars.

mtbr member
    FWIW...

I'm 5'11", and have been riding a large El Guapo since June 2007 - one of the first off the line. I've logged about 6,300 miles on it, and still LOVE it! Ran it with a 66SL initially, and Lyric SoloAir since 2010...

I run an EA70 stem in 70mm x 17* for day to day, but have gone down to a 55mm for ski resort days.

Coming from a medium SuperMoto that just felt cramped, I went with this slightly longer frame, which also allows me to run shorter stems. Also, KSi950r seatpost keeps me moving around - I'm all over inside that cockpit.

I've had two Evolver ISX-6 in back - fantastic performance for this bike, but costly to rebuild (hence two), so I'll be installing a Monarch Plus RC3 soon.

I've thought about getting a new bike, but I just love this one so much...

Edit: Looking back, post #7 of this thread is mine. The bike certainly evolved from that day!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    i am 6 foot 4 also (34 inseam) and the size large eg is fine. Running xfusion dropper seatpost, 70mm hope stem (20mm spacers), 175 cranks, 160 fox 36 and all is good. Seatpost is well within the min insertion level. Superb on both the ups and downs. My bb comes in at just!! 13.2 inches but others have had issues with out of spec (low) heights so double check yours is correct if you decide to go with one. Never ridden a yeti so cannot make any comparisons with that. Previous ride was a marin rock springs/ attack trail 07 frame and the eg seems comparable in sizing (but far better for riding overall). hope this helps

mtbr member
    quick question - I have a V3 EG which I'm currently building. I thought I had the correct rear brake mount adaptor but it doesn't fit, could someone please tell me which adaptor I need? Im running XT brakes on 160mm rotors. thanks

mtbr member
    Which adapter do you have? Should just be a IS to PM adapter for 160mm rotors.
    160mm / 74mm / Rear / 51mm IS / ISMMAR160PSA

mtbr member
    thanks. I thought it was the right one, it is IS to PM it looks about 10mm too short

mtbr member
    You mean the holes dont line up on the frame of the height of the caliper is too short for a rotor? It might possibly be for a 140mm rotor, I've heard of mislabled adapters before.

mtbr member
    Sorry Im being an idiot, I mounted the adaptor the wrong way around! fits fine now! Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

I appreciate your taste for the finest suspension!

Quote Originally Posted by scmalex View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130301_140316_zpsc2acb4c5.jpg 
Views:	2006 
Size:	154.1 KB 
ID:	776602
    My do it all bike for Socal slaying. It pedals like a trail bike and descends like a sled. It weighs somewhere between 35 and 36 pounds. Unfortunately I'm going to have to sell the frameset. It was rawed by the previous owner.

Frame / Shock: 2010 Titus El Guapo V2 (LG) / Marzocchi Roco WC
    Fork / Headset: Marzocchi 66 RCV 180mm / Cane Creek 10 1.5"
    Handlebars / Stem: Black Market Way Low 787 (cut to 30.5") with ODI Rogue grips / Truvativ Hollzfeller 40mm
    Saddle / Seatpost: Avenir 300 series mountain / Thomson clamped with Sette QR Collar
    Brakes / Rotors: Magura MT2 / Magura Storm SL
    Cranks / BB: Raceface Atlas AM bash-32-22 / Hope stainless
    Front Derailleur / Shifter: SRAM X7 Top Swing / SRAM X7
    Rear Derailleur / Shifter: SRAM X7 Medium Cage / SRAM X7
    Cassette / Chain: SRAM PG970 / SRAM PC970
    Pedals: Forte Convert
    Rims / Hubs: Stans ZTR Flow / SRAM X9 (20mm F, 12mm R with azonic 12 to 10mm axle)
    Tires: WTB Dissent UST 2.3 Tubeless
    I'm so close to getting the Roco WC Coil for my Guap! Currently running a dhx coil which is fine, but from experience, going from fox to Zokes, I can imagine the upgrade in feel of suspension. What's your riding weight and coil spring rate?
    Thx/Enjoy!
    Our life is a journey. let it be epic.

mtbr member
    Another question, this is my first FS build, for the chain length do I have to fully compress the shock then measure the chain using the big chain ring to big rear cog +2 links? thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I think that may be correct but I have just used your method plus 2 full links without doing the full compression. It worked fine for me.

Let the good times roll.
    It's best to compress the shock. Or just remove it to cycle the swing arm. Especially if you are using a clutch rd.

mtbr member
    thanks, yeah i'll be using a clutch mech and chainguide

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    i wouldn't worry about compressing/removing the shock. this frame does not have that much chain growth. adding two full links (to the big-big combo) would be enough. that's how i've done it for years (on low chain growth frames) and haven't had any issues.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm monitoring low BB thread...but still love my EG...
    Keep maintain at optimum setting, we'll catch the best ride

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Frame / Shock: 2012 Titus El Guapo V3 Small / RS Monarch RT3
    Fork / Headset: RS Lyrik RC2L Dual Pos Air 160-130 mm / Cane Creek 1.5"
    Rims / Hubs: Ethirteen TRS Wheelset(20mm F, 10mm QR)
    Handlebars / Stem: Answer Protaper 720 / Sunline AM 70 mm
    Saddle / Seatpost: Spez Henge / KS i950
    Brakes / Rotors: Shimano SLX Icetech
    Cranks / Bashguard: Shimano SLX / Truvativ
    Groupset : Shimano SLX 2x10, with Clutch RD (Shadow Plus)
    Pedals: Shimano Saint
    Tires: Continental Trail King 2.2

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Can't wait...

El Guapo Set-Up Data Base-p4pb9643364.jpg

Will have it built up in a week. Can't wait.

I'll post pics and specs as soon as he's built up.

mtbr member
    Starting my build this weekend, however i installed the bb cups the other day, drive side went in fine. The non drive side went in about a quarter of the way fine then started getting a little resistance, I backed it off and tried a few more times and it was the same, so I torqued it up (it didn't have a lot of resistance but I needed to use the tool) will this be okay? Or should I remove it? Thanks for any info.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Arnold View Post
    Starting my build this weekend, however i installed the bb cups the other day, drive side went in fine. The non drive side went in about a quarter of the way fine then started getting a little resistance, I backed it off and tried a few more times and it was the same, so I torqued it up (it didn't have a lot of resistance but I needed to use the tool) will this be okay? Or should I remove it? Thanks for any info.
    You will be fine. Rarely threads need to be chased, a bit of cleaning with a wire brush maybe useful. Did you apply enough lube to the threads? You would not want it seized up when it is time to disassemble.

mtbr member
    I agree with Axe. Make sure you clean the threads with a wire brush and grease them up. I have never been able to install bb cups without a tool cause most have thread compound on them.

J:
    mbtr memebr
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Arnold View Post
    Mine did the same with thread prep, didn't have to use a tool though. After I got in past the tight point it was good, may the force be with you

mtbr member
    Finally got it built!

Sorry for the rubbish pictures

El Guapo Set-Up Data Base-img00067-20130608-0916.jpgEl Guapo Set-Up Data Base-img00068-20130608-1204.jpg

Frame / Shock: 2012 Titus El Guapo V3 Medium / RS Monarch RT3
    Fork / Headset: 2012 BOS Deville 170mm / Smoothie Mixer
    Rims / Hubs: Stans Flow EX / Hope Pro 2 Evo
    Handlebars / Stem: Nukeproof Warhead / Diety
    Saddle / Seatpost / Seat Collar: Spez Henge / Thomson Elite / Salsa
    Brakes / Rotors: Shimano XT / Shimano Zee
    Cranks / Chainguide: Shimano Saint / MRP G2
    Groupset : Shimano Zee 1x10 (Clutch)
    Pedals: Nukeproof Electron
    Tires: Continental X-King 2.3 Rear / Continental Rubber Queen 2.2 Front

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Finally!

It's finally built up... woohoo!

El Guapo Set-Up Data Base-p4pb9691034.jpg
    El Guapo Set-Up Data Base-p4pb9691017.jpg

Still haven't brought it to the trail yet - bad weather and a busy sked sadly. Hope to get a feel for the suspension by mid-week.

It's my first air fork so it'll take a lot of taking used to. Yikes. Any tips on how to ser the Marz CR?

mtbr member
    Guys a question. What sag to have rear and back? I got 25% back and my pedal strikes are reduced so I prefer to keep it this way.
    So what to put on front? I have a Marz 170 CR TA Switch (170-130). Should it be 25% or 30%?
    Does it have to be relevant to the rear sag in order for the bike to be somehow level? Or I am saying bs?
    Last edited by George Gr; 06-26-2013 at 03:24 AM.
    "Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    This is irrelevant to your question, but how do you like your Marzocchi switch?
    Our life is a journey. let it be epic.

mtbr member

El Guapo Set-Up Data Base

I like it very much! It's very plush! Like it is coil. I am very happy whit it.
    "Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by George Gr View Post
    Guys a question. What sag to have rear and back? I got 25% back and my pedal strikes are reduced so I prefer to keep it this way.
    So what to put on front? I have a Marz 170 CR TA Switch (170-130). 25%, 30%. Does it have to be relevant to the rear sag in order for the bike to be somehow level? Or I am saying bs?
    I have between 27-30% sag on the monarch at the lowest compression setting. I just flip it to the stiffest setting on the way up - just make sure that you flip it back down to the lowest or middle for downhill sections.

Before getting my Marz, I had the bike with a 150mm Sektor. I had 20% sag in the middle compression and increased preload on my sektor - it definitely decreased pedal strikes, but the ride was very harsh on the small bumps.

Now, on the 170mm Marz, no need to run it too stiff as the a2c height alone adds to the BB height (13" on the 170mm marz and 12.5" on the Sektor). And, as mentioned earlier, my sag is 27-30% on the low comp setting. Just switch to the high compression on the way up

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by George Gr View Post
    I like it very much! It's very plush! Like it is coil. I am very happy whit it.
    Now this is what I want to learn... how do you set it up like it's a coil sprung fork.

I'm still having difficulty dialing mine in.

mtbr member

Ok, so 27%-30% on the rear. And how about the Marz?

mtbr member

Look just put enough air until sag is about 20%-25% and then put compression and rebound in the middle and start testing.
    The compression dial in the CR model is responsible of how stiff it will be when bottoming. Ie how easy it will bottom out or not. I have mine 2 or 3 clicks towards +
    Last edited by George Gr; 06-26-2013 at 03:28 AM.

mtbr member

I have the rebound in the middle and one click towards slow (on the Marz).
    Last edited by George Gr; 06-12-2013 at 12:15 AM.