Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TypeR View Post
    Not sure how much help it is but I'm running an XT M785 double with a blackspire stinger and defender. There is a good 3-4mm clearance between the stinger and the granny ring
    Thanks for the info...think I've seen the pics of your setup, it looks good.
    I can only presume that the twinty has the same thickness back plate as the stinger. I've ordered the double chainset and will check the clearance. I would get a defender but typically can't find one in 38t!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

El Guapo Set-Up Data Base

Quote Originally Posted by saps View Post
    Thanks for the info...think I've seen the pics of your setup, it looks good.
    I can only presume that the twinty has the same thickness back plate as the stinger. I've ordered the double chainset and will check the clearance. I would get a defender but typically can't find one in 38t!
    Cheers fella, yeah I would have assumed the back plate was the same thickness as well although it's probably best to get it confirmed. Should have enough clearance though, like you said get the chain set fitted and take it from there.

I had to go for the larger defender as I couldn't get the 38t at the time and I'm impatient. It fits but was a bit of a faff to get the front mech set up due to minimal clearance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Cheers fella, yeah I would have assumed the back plate was the same thickness as well although it's probably best to get it confirmed. Should have enough clearance though, like you said get the chain set fitted and take it from there.

I had to go for the larger defender as I couldn't get the 38t at the time and I'm impatient. It fits but was a bit of a faff to get the front mech set up due to minimal clearance.
    So that's a 40t on yours...thought it would look clumsier than it does if that makes sense!
    The way I see it I have 2 options, either swap to 36t ring and get a defender to match or stick with the 38t and get a twinty!

Quite like the look of the twinty with the taco bash, decisions decisions :-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

So that's a 40t on yours...thought it would look clumsier than it does if that makes sense!
    The way I see it I have 2 options, either swap to 36t ring and get a defender to match or stick with the 38t and get a twinty!

Quite like the look of the twinty with the taco bash, decisions decisions :-)
    Yup, I know what you mean but it looks fine, just a pain to set up the front mech. If you can get the twinty to fit though, then I'd definitely go for it

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yup, I know what you mean but it looks fine, just a pain to set up the front mech. If you can get the twinty to fit though, then I'd definitely go for it
    Yh I probably will do. Now also wondering whether I made a mistake with 26t, coming from 22t it might be a mare to climb on! What granny did you go for, how do find climbimg?!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Yh I probably will do. Now also wondering whether I made a mistake with 26t, coming from 22t it might be a mare to climb on! What granny did you go for, how do find climbimg?!
    I've got the 26/38t and it climbs just great to be honest (11-36 cassette)

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    You will be fine. I have gone 1X10 with a 32 front and 11/36 cassette. My EG weighs about 33 pounds + pack with tools, tubes, first aid, pump and 2L water) I live in Hong Kong and the terrain is quite hilly (sea level to 3500 feet in the space of a mile or so). I am a willow of a man (6 feet tall and 145 pounds) and can pretty much climb anything that I could before with the 24/32/42 triple (or something like that from memory). Actually the only difference is that sometimes I have to stand on the super steep bits but I'm getting up everything I did before with just a bit more grunting (you adapt). The limitation is usually traction, even with a soft compound aggressive knobby tire. Don't worry about a 26t.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rottenronny View Post
    You will be fine. I have gone 1X10 with a 32 front and 11/36 cassette. My EG weighs about 33 pounds + pack with tools, tubes, first aid, pump and 2L water) I live in Hong Kong and the terrain is quite hilly (sea level to 3500 feet in the space of a mile or so). I am a willow of a man (6 feet tall and 145 pounds) and can pretty much climb anything that I could before with the 24/32/42 triple (or something like that from memory). Actually the only difference is that sometimes I have to stand on the super steep bits but I'm getting up everything I did before with just a bit more grunting (you adapt). The limitation is usually traction, even with a soft compound aggressive knobby tire. Don't worry about a 26t.
    1x9 here, with taco-chain guide. Will never go back to dual rings. I have a 32t front and 11/34 rear and can get up anything I could get up with granny. I actually climb better without granny now that I am a bit stronger. My El Guap is around 31# and ride in NC, which is anywhere from flat to mountainous.

I will eventually upgrade to 1x10, but for now I haven't broken anything on my drivetrain and have zero need to upgrade.

Save some weight and get rid of the horrible front derailleur and dual rings.
    X-prezo Super-D, 26in style.

J:
    No E:
    Dec 2009
    Never getting rid of my 22

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I run a 22 X 36 front and a 12-36 cassette on my EG. Still running 9 speed. Too poor, and never felt I needed more gearing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Some interesting responses...i'm also sticking with 11-34 9 speed cassette as can't justify the 10 speed yet!
    Will run the 26-38 up front to start and if I cant get on with it will swap out for the spare 24-36 rings I have.
    Will post some pics when it's built up
    Last edited by saps; 08-22-2013 at 04:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

My Build

Here is my final build...2014 Pikes arrived yesterday

El Guapo Set-Up Data Base-el-guapo-1-small.jpgEl Guapo Set-Up Data Base-el-guapo-2-small.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    1x9 32t front 11-34 cassette for me

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I can confirm that I am running 1x9 32 front and 11-32 back with an e thirteen SS+ chain guide using 1.25mm spacers on the iscg tab. This a triple shimano Hone crankset which I converted and I have hacked the granny tabs off as this chainguide backplate together with the lack of 'negative' adjustment on the v3 el guapo iscg tab will only work with a true single crankset. This way I saved money and weight and now all is good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails El Guapo Set-Up Data Base-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Here is my final build...2014 Pikes arrived yesterday

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	El Guapo 1 small.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	262.1 KB 
ID:	827566Click image for larger version. 

Name:	El Guapo 2 small.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	288.7 KB 
ID:	827567
    Looks great

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Looks great
    Cheers, my handsome stealth bomber!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I am running 1x10 34T Qring, 11-40T (using General Lee cassete)...
    It is the best set up i could do for my elguapo..
    it's really all around bike..

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    my personal setup is 2x10 26/36 on 11-36 cassette. It is a bit 'longer' than my previous 22tooth disc but I have got used to it and there is absolutely no problem climbing even the steepest trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    my last setup is 1 x 10, 34T front ; 11-36T cassette with shadow plus SLX RD, not installing any bashguard/chain guide...so far have no problem with chain drop / slap

Still going strong climbing any terrain ^_^

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hi Guys.
    My El Guapo is my 2nd Fullsus Frame.
    This time, i got a correct frame size.

2009 El Guapo Ti
    Thomson Handlebar AM
    Thomson 50mm Stem
    Thomson Seatpost
    Chrisking Devolution Headset
    ZTR Flow Rims
    DT Swiss Spokes
    Hope Pro Evo2 Hubs
    Maxxis 2.35 DHF and Highroller
    Shimano XT BB, Brakes, Shifter, RD with Clutch
    Raceface N/W Chainring
    General Lee 29-35-42 cassette
    Fox Float 36 RC2
    Spank Spike Flats / Shimano DX Pedals
    KMC Chain
    Hope Skewer and Seatclamp

Be testing the bike this weekend.
    Happy to have one Guapo.

mtbr member
    Nice build!
    I am waiting for a review on the General Lee cassette. The front ring is 32T?

Also I thing you need to swap the tyres. Put the HR at the back for better rolling and the DHF at front for better gripping… This is how I had them to be honest.
    "Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by George Gr View Post
    Nice build!
    I am waiting for a review on the General Lee cassette. The front ring is 32T?

Also I thing you need to swap the tyres. Put the HR at the back for better rolling and the DHF at front for better gripping… This is how I had them to be honest.
    Thanks

Yes. It's a 32T chainring as of now.

I used to run the HR at the back.
    I switched it for a test since i would want to try and feel the DHFs on the rear. Planning to replace the HRs with a DHF 2.5 infront to have more volumes since Maxxis 2.35 DHFs,HRs are quite small.

For the Gen-lee, i used it on my XC 29er bike, i do have issues on shifting. Miss-shifts. Chain wont go up to the Gen-Lee.
    Now, running it on my Fullsus, no problems so far, shifts flawless. Most probably because of the chainline. I'm satisfied with it.

mtbr member
    Good to hear.
    Thanks for the info.
    "Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Is it possible to run a 8.75" x 2.75" shock on the el guapo? I have a spare and thinking about stuffing it in there but don't wanna screw anything up. Anyone try this successfully before?
    Our life is a journey. let it be epic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by epicjurneez View Post
    Is it possible to run a 8.75" x 2.75" shock on the el guapo? I have a spare and thinking about stuffing it in there but don't wanna screw anything up. Anyone try this successfully before?
    I don't think you can but I am not 100% sure.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by epicjurneez View Post
    Absolutly not; the 8.5 shock just fits, no way is there room for something a quarter of an inch longer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Ive just put the new 2014 vivid coil 8.5x2.5 on my EG and it fits really close, there is no free space left at all. I even had to remove the rocker to put it on. Works flawless.

mtbr member
    El Guapo Set-Up Data Base-bikepb-03.jpg

2012 Titus El Guapo Small frame / Monach RT3, Full XT group 2012 , 2012 Marzocchi 55 Micro Ti, 2013 Crank Brothers Iodine 2, Reverb, Funn cockpit, Formula Mega brakes, Mallet 2 pedals.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Updated EGv3

El Guapo Set-Up Data Base-p4pb10397616.jpg
    El Guapo Set-Up Data Base-p4pb10485317.jpg

Changes since I built it up

RD is now a Zee
    Crank is now an XT versus a Deore
    Tires are now 2.4" conti trail kinds versus a 2.3 baron and 2.2 mountain king.

15.45kg's on the scale, a bit heavy on paper but it doesn't feel like it is.

BB's actually off spec - 13.25 or there abouts. But I don't mind. The 2.4" tires and 170mm fork help a lot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Linear vs Progressive

So I moved my rocker link up to the Progressive hole on my bike...

Any ideas on what to expect from the suspension? Did a parking lot test and I noticed that the O-ring on the shock didn't go as far down the stanchion as it used to (I did a couple of hops off the side walk).

Should I expect better small bump compliance but a harsher end stroke? hehe. Need to hear your $0.02 on it.

El Guapo Set-Up Data Base-12306404974_34bce02b37_c.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    El Guapo Set-Up Data Base-rei0asx.jpg

El Guapo V3 Large
    Rockshox Monarch RT3
    Rockshox Sektor RL 2013 150mm
    On-One Smoothie headset
    El Guapo corto stem
    On-one oversize riser bar
    SLX Crank
    M540 pedals
    Raceface NW 30t chainring
    XT 10 speed mech
    Deore shifter
    Deore cassette
    Truativ AKA Gravity seatpost
    Selle Italia SLR Flow saddle
    Superstar XM 490 rims on Switch Evo hubs
    Hans Damf tyres
    Deore M596 brakes 160mm rotors

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Titus El Guapo frame (2013)
    Fox 36 RC2 front shox (180mm, Kashima)
    RockShox Monarch RT3 rear shox (High Vol)
    XT M785 crank (single chainring)
    XT PD-M780 SPD pedals
    XT M786 Shadow+ RD
    XT M780 shifter (I-Spec B)
    XT HG94 chain
    SLX HG81 11-36T cassette
    XT M785 brakes
    XT RT86 rotors (200mm F/180mm R)
    Aerozine 32T chain ring
    MCP Mini G2 chain guide
    Hope Pro2 Evo hubs + ZTR Flow wheelset
    Maxxis Ardent 2.25" tires
    Nukeproof zero stem
    Nukeproof Warhead 780 riser bar
    ODI Ruffian grip
    Nukeproof seatpost clamp
    Cane Creek Series 40 headset
    KS LEV dropper post
    Selle Italia SLR saddle

Weight: 14kg

Phil
    Last edited by PhilWong; 02-17-2014 at 04:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Great build!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Looking good, Phil!

Please can you tell me where that rear mud guard comes from.... or is it a home made custom special?

Whilst you're on it, what brand is the front guard?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks folks!

Front is a Mucky Nutz Bender Fender and rear is a DIY XL version.

BENDER FENDER

Phil

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Hi, I'm thinking to buy a EG V3 frame but I'm not sure what size will be the best for me... I'm 5'6"/170cm (2'65"/80cm inseam) The fork will be a fox float 34 160mm.

Small or Medium size? thanks!

Regardsss

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Penaldrum View Post
    Hi, I'm thinking to buy a EG V3 frame but I'm not sure what size will be the best for me... I'm 5'6"/170cm (2'65"/80cm inseam) The fork will be a fox float 34 160mm.

Small or Medium size? thanks!

Regardsss
    Definitely small, I have a small and I'm 5'8"

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks for the reply TypeR, someone more with S size and similar height? Thanks!

Regardsss

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried to mod an EG and stick a Reverb Stealth on it? I have a Stealth and was starting to wonder if it could be done? however the frames an awkward shape for the cable routing. Is this a big no no??

mtbr member
    May 2013
    With no bottle cage mounts on the frame the only place left to exit is the headset top cap!
    I don't think drilling a hole anywhere in the frame is a good idea.
    Every other frame I've seen with a 'mod' uses on of the holes for a bottle cag mount either on the seat tube or down tube so that points to a 'no go' for us guapo owners... Sigh...

mtbr member
    Quick question: I'm currently stripping and rebuilding the EG, the bolts for the rear horse link, do I greese them or loctite them? And is the torque 9.6nm? Cheers

Let the good times roll.
    I prefer dry teflon lube (Lowes) on all pivots and bolts. Keeps things quiet. I only use loctite (very sparingly) on bolts that are hard to reach and check/tighten if needed later. Like the main pivot. Otherwise using proper torque usually works.

I don't remember the EG torque specs. It's been a while...

DuPont? Teflon® Non-Stick Dry-Film Lubricant

mtbr member
    Okay thanks, so no loctite on those bolts? I use loctite on the rest of the pivot bolts since they all came with loctite on already. I'm sure the torque is 9.6nm but it feels quite stuff when torqued to spec. But I'm assuming this is correct

Let the good times roll.
    I ride through the winter in mud and salt. It's resulted in a couple seized bolts. I hesitate to use loctite except in places that are a big hassle to check for tightness. But you are correct that the bolts come from the factory with loctite.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Here is what I have managed to find by trawling through the forums...

Main Pivot: 250 +/- 10 in-lbs
    Horst Link: 115 +/- 15 in-lbs
    Derailleur Hanger bolt: 80 +/- 10 in-lbs
    Rocker Pivot Bolts: 100 +/- 10 in-lbs
    Rocker/Shock Attachment: 100 +/- 10 in-lbs
    Shock/Frame Attachement: 45 +/- 5 in-lbs

Someone managed to get this from Titus.

Personally I cannot see how you can torque the stock alloy hangar bolt to that setting without stripping the socket head. My is already rounded after a quick check on a new build.

Also I had to tighten the top shock bolt some way more than the recommended setting to eliminate play even with brand new bushings.

I don't see why Titus or On-one can't seem to produce a decent frame user manual for the el guapo with all the part specs and torque settings in one accurate document for all owners to use and facilitate long term maintenance. The info on their website has dead links or inconsistent data...

I love the bike but it seems we are destined to have to search the net for other owners and take notes from their trial and error maintenance attempts in order to help ourselves.

Hopefully these settings can help a few more than just you Ben.
    Keep us posted on how you get on.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    New fork time for me and I need some headset help from the crew.

Old fork = straight 1 1/8 lyrik and 1° slackset.

New fork = tapered steer tube.

I however want to get that same 1°.

What options do I have?

mtbr member
    Workscomponent -- Installed a 1.5 deg in Jan... no complaint so far after riding it hard for a bit last couple months (no funny creaks like some others in the market). Here

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks for the link anvil_den.

I do secretly want to try one that I can choose which degree to set it at like the angleset....do any of those exist for this frame and a tapered steer tube?

Also, can I install a ZS44top and an ES49 bottom? I feel like that combination should work. Am I wrong?

mtbr member
    Its a little messy and confusing with all the headtubes std and diff headcups std out there.
    As per the site-- they list out the various combos within each deg change category.
    Mine was the old 1.5 headtube EG...

"Bearing location and cup-type are identified as (a) external cup (EC), (b) semi-integrated or ZeroStack (ZS), or (c) integrated (IS)."

For the EG it would be a combo of either (a) and or (b) as it is not integrated HT.

WC did say elsewhere that at the moment the topis not possible to do ZS44 cup

Only one that seem possible in your case for a 1 deg seems to be both EC cups- this

But best u check with them directly via email to confirm.

mtbr member
    Can anyone help me, Monarch RT3, what size hardware and bushings do I need to order for the EG? Cheers

gone walk about
    Anyone know of a 2012 or 13 EG framset FS? seeking to build one up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Stripped some paint today! Also upgraded my rear wheel to an i9 torch hub laced to Spank rim.

This thing rips!

gone walk about
    looks sharp, what stripper did you use? BTW any idea of both the upper/lower rear stay distance measurement??

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Kwik strip premium stripper. No ideas on the measurement and too exhausted to move.

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by y0bailey View Post
    Kwik strip premium stripper. No ideas on the measurement and too exhausted to move.
    ok you get a pass for now.

I've read a few comments about the oem paint chipping easily and would consider this method but then powder coat some color.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    Anyone know of a 2012 or 13 EG framset FS? seeking to build one up.
    What size are you looking for and what color?

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by doralswheels View Post
    What size are you looking for and what color?
    lrg orange as my 1st choice, then white and lastly raw as my last resort.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    lrg orange as my 1st choice, then white and lastly raw as my last resort.
    I was thinking about selling my v3. It is brand new, but it is raw/large. I am running 27.5 wheels with a Fox 34/27.5 fork. I built it up, but i am in the middle of selling some of my other bikes and stuf so I haven't rode it very much. I am thinking about the 29er.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Update

Updated my EG.

New wheelset and a narrow/wide chainring

El Guapo Set-Up Data Base-p4pb10962792.jpg
    El Guapo Set-Up Data Base-p4pb10962746.jpg
    El Guapo Set-Up Data Base-p4pb10962785.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Final El Guap upgrades complete (not pictured = new X-fusion slant).

Down to 29.5#! My goal to break 30# has been reached, and this thing freaking shreds.

Also, the X-fusion slant is a FANTASTIC fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    How's the Fox CTD on your frame? First time i've seen one of those shocks on an EG.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by prancisfena View Post
    How's the Fox CTD on your frame? First time i've seen one of those shocks on an EG.
    Honestly, I don't notice a whole lot of difference between it and the default Monarch that it came with. That being said, I am constantly adjusting between the forward and back shock mount, and need to just do some more scientific testing. I am thinking about riding my favorite local trail with one shock, swapping, and riding it again for any noticeable differences.

That being said, the fact that I cannot tell much of a difference mean it is clearly functioning decently.

I will report more after I dink around a bit further.

gone walk about
    nice ride y0bailey...

BTW would someone with a V3 be so kind to take a cpl mm measurements between both upper/lower rear CS's? why you ask? in order to house the 2.75 DW a min of 72mm is required.

J:
    No E:
    Dec 2009
    Yeah it is, what's up with the rear d looks way back compared to the 9spd, * different hanger (or maybe just the photo)?

Dirt Huffer
    I got my frame built up a few days ago. Rides really great and i'm impressed so far. No pics to post yet. I need to strip the parts off the frame. I ordered 2lbs of powder to coat the frame (no im not adding 2lbs of weight to the frame). PP Silver Artry and Hawaii Blue. The color should looks simliar to this when she's done.

El Guapo Set-Up Data Base-db_file_img_11222_1200xauto.jpg

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    I got my frame built up a few days ago. Rides really great and i'm impressed so far. No pics to post yet. I need to strip the parts off the frame. I ordered 2lbs of powder to coat the frame (no im not adding 2lbs of weight to the frame). PP Silver Artry and Hawaii Blue. The color should look simliar to this when she's done.
    yea yea just rub it in your a prime candidate for clearance measurement

mtbr member

El DoItAll

Great to see all the luv & dirt the EG is still getting. Fact that little has changed and it still can go head on with all those new fangledangle sus frame out there says it all... Still I have to say-- me fav bike in all 30+ yrs of wheeling.

Mine thru the years...
    El Guapo Set-Up Data Base-eg.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by anvil_den View Post
    Great to see all the luv & dirt the EG is still getting. Fact that little has changed and it still can go head on with all those new fangledangle sus frame out there says it all... Still I have to say-- me fav bike in all 30+ yrs of wheeling.

Mine thru the years...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eg.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	185.5 KB 
ID:	894868
    VERY NICE.

Just a note, Installed the Monarch RT3 back on the bike last night. Going to ride my "home" trail tonight and see how things compare.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    So here is my EQ:

El Guapo Set-Up Data Base-10403265_10152106912207267_2932891377835476498_n.jpg

2013 Super Raw L size frame + OnOne Smoothie Mixer
    CCDBA
    2013 RS Lyrik RC(the free one... ), update to Mission Control dampers
    X9 hubs, dt spokes, white Stan's Flow EX
    Maxxis tires
    X9 shifter + x9 type2 medium derailleur
    1070 casette with Leonardi Factory's General Lee, so casette is 11-40 and Sram 1051 chain
    RF Atlas cranks + e13 33tooth chainring + e13 LG1+ and RF Atlas pedals(I also have XT trail clipless pedals)
    RF Evolve seatpost+SDG Formula FXR ti-alloy+Hope QR
    Formula RO brakes, 200mm front and 180mm disc in back.
    Kore Durox handlebar + Kore Repute 50mm stem + Lizard Skins TLD grips

Did I forgot something? I try to get some better pics later...
    Last edited by Hösö; 06-11-2014 at 01:26 AM.

Dirt Huffer
    I can't beleive it... I test road 2 fully loaded carbon Bronson's, each a tad different but both were $5k+ builds with Fox suspension. Neither of which I really cared for (I was surprised). The carbon frame felt really flexy compared to the El Guapo and suspension seemed to blow through travel really fast. Not sure why, because one of the riders who lent me his bike weighed more then me. But at the end of the ride i was happy to get back on the El Guapo. Sure it's a few pounds heavier but it's such a solid frame with a solid suspension design. I can't believe it, after how hyped the Bronson is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    mine turn to update mine....

El Guapo Set-Up Data Base-img-20140525-wa0000_zpse6a7fb1f.jpg

El Guapo Set-Up Data Base-20140615_230939_zpsd326cef5.jpg

El Guapo Set-Up Data Base-20140615_230927_zpsed71c8eb.jpg

Build Setup as of today !!!
    Frame size - Large
    SRAM X0 Grip shifter (2 x 10spd)
    SRAM X0 FD
    SRAM X0 RD type 2
    XTR Trail Brakeset
    XT Crankset (24T,36T) 175mm
    XT Cassette 11-36T
    Easton Haven Stem
    Easton Haven Carbon Handlebar 711mm
    Easton Haven Carbon seatpost
    Easton Haven Wheelset (15mm - Front , Rear 135 x 12mm)
    Selle Italia Carbon Flite White
    Front Fork - X-Fusion Slant with Gold Coating 160mm taper
    Rear Shock - X-Fusion Vector Air HLR (with piggy back)
    Tires - Front - Nobby Nics (2.25), Rear - Rocket Ron (2.1)

Weights !! 12.16kg @ 26.80 lbs....

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    WOW. Great bike... I'd slap a dropper on there tho hehe but that's just me.

26.80 pounds is amazingly light. Got mine under 33 pounds and I was already giddy HAHAHA. That must be quite easy to use on all day rides.

J:
    No E:
    Dec 2009
    Record for lightest large?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by magpies14 View Post
    mine turn to update mine....

Weights !! 12.16kg @ 26.80 lbs....
    Ditch the front shifting. Go 30t narrow wide ring. think u gonna hit ~11.6
    Remove the lever from the SLant axle-- that is a super heavy useless bit adding 27gm to the setup

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hahaha...thks for the idea Anvil_den....let me see if i am strong enough to ditch the front shifting...

mtbr member
    May 2012

Shimano XT Shadow + 1x10 (with a Leonardi General Lee 42t adapter & Works NW 32t chain ring)
    XT (M785) brakes and pedals
    Rockshox Reverb (now with an appropriate length hose!)
    Mavic Crossmax wheels (tubeless) Hans Dampf up front and a Smorgass Board out back.
    Fox talas 36's
    50mm stem (Truvativ) & 740mm bars (Renthal)

J:
    No E:
    Dec 2009
    Oh that's tastey^^

Hope there will be a V4..

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    Hope there will be a V4..
    me too. but i dunno if it is gonna happen.

my wishlist if it did:
    - no more than 150mm rear travel,
    - designed for new-gen 150mm forks (which, for their travel, have slightly shorter a-c than older 36s). max front travel/ fork length set at modern 160mm fork (which is less than 545mm a-c)
    - 27.5 wheels, but with same CS length and BB height as the original/V1 EG (13.5ish with decent ~2.35 tyres).
    - HA around 67 with above-mentioned fork. bit slacker when running a 160.
    - SA around 73. certainly steeper than the V1.
    - all the other trendy new features - 142x12, internal routing for some cables (eg. dropper post) etc.
    - fix the cable routing - i.e. route it low, close to the main pivot, to eliminate cable compression
    - keep it water bottle-free. i.e. do not compromise the basic design (shock position etc) to try to fit one.

i reckon the v1 onwards, with the skinnier stays etc, is perceptibly flexier than the old original (07/08) EG, which was a tank. to go much lighter than the 7lb (incl shock) that the recent EGs are, they'd have to go carbon to lose any weight without it losing one of its original main appeals.

OTOH, there is probably a growing list of bikes that pretty much hit that wishlist, from other brands that actually deliver new product in decent time frames.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Anyone have a rockshox monarch plus rc3 on their V3? I fancy an upgrade to my rt3 and this shock is standing out. If so, how do you find it and which tune did you go for?

According to this I'll need a low compression model?

http://www.qbp.com/diagrams/TechInfo/vivid.pdf

mtbr member
    Can I sway you to an X Fusion HLR
    Ok Im bias since I run almost exclusively XF these days for all my boink needs
    But seriously it is the most well mated shock with the EG for me ( and I have plenty, RP23, Monarch RT3, DHX, Elka and 2 gen of Dueler with various spring rates)

Currently the HLR is on my heavy duty EG and I have given it good workout. In fact my coil default coil setups are collecting dust...doubt I will go back to them anytime soon.

Very versatile and adjustments really makes real world diff. Can be set up like coil (no kidding) for those really rough stuff. Ramp up the piggy and a few dials to the comp... good to go for more pedally and smoother trails/ park type of rides.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

I hadn't considered x fusion to be honest. Have you got any pictures of it fitted?

mtbr member

Here u go...

I hadn't considered x fusion to be honest. Have you got any pictures of it fitted?
    El Guapo Set-Up Data Base-x.jpg

My initial 2 cents here
    and
    additional 2 more cents here after using for awhile..

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Nice write up, the shock sounds like it's exactly what I'm after. It's definitely something to think about

mtbr member

26+ Demi Fat EG

Sorting thru the warranty over some cracked rims... started to mull with the idea of a "not fat not thin but a squishy in-between" ...

Mounted the largest 2.4 in the house and a bit of cleaning up this morn...

-- toying with pushing it with some 2.75 Dirt Wizards eventually that would blow the width to 70mm (still clears the narrowest point of the chain stay with at least 3mm per side clearance, but overall diameter with a 48mm wide hoop here might be a little tight with a radius of 350mm).

El Guapo Set-Up Data Base-zzdscn0828.jpgEl Guapo Set-Up Data Base-zdscn0837.jpg

gone walk about
    Sorting thru the warranty over some cracked rims... started to mull with the idea of a "not fat not thin but a squishy in-between" ...

Mounted the largest 2.4 in the house and a bit of cleaning up this morn...

-- toying with pushing it with some 2.75 Dirt Wizards eventually that would blow the width to 70mm (still clears the narrowest point of the chain stay with at least 3mm per side clearance, but overall diameter with a 48mm wide hoop here might be a little tight with a radius of 350mm).
    dammit man your killin me!! now thats uber sweet if i do say so meself! some good info within for those considering 26+ setups.

BTW still in search mode for a lrg orange V3 EG

mtbr member
    Thanks

To help fellow EGians along this path... here
    Warning: Wall of Text on that link

gone walk about
    Thanks

given that setup i suspect 35mm rims & DW 2.75 would be right @ home.

mtbr member
    Wizards on Dually (45mm) measures 700mm in diameter and 70mm wide
    Im looking for a bit of a fat bike characteristic when going over soft or jungle growth bashing which is what I get a lot here.
    35 rims would probably push it another couple mm taller...

Taking the rear out now to re-measure the axle center to end of the main yoke to see how much there is... Bloody Wizards are expensive tires to buy and find out they don't fit

gone walk about
    Thanks

enjoyed the read and your findings.

Wizards on Dually (45mm) measures 700mm in diameter and 70mm wide
    Im looking for a bit of a fat bike characteristic when going over soft or jungle growth bashing which is what I get a lot here.
    35 rims would probably push it another couple mm taller...

Taking the rear out now to re-measure the axle center to end of the main yoke to see how much there is... Bloody Wizards are expensive tires to buy and find out they don't fit
    yeah the 35's would pinch the tire a bit making it taller as you say while the wider 45-50's flaten it out a touch more.
    Last edited by nvphatty; 07-19-2014 at 09:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm kinda going the opposite direction... Monsoon season over here in the PHL so decided to go with thinner tires. The 2.4" conti Rubber Queens get stuck on the fork arch and chainstay junction pretty quickly (a lot of the trails I ride have clay-like mud sections).

El Guapo Set-Up Data Base-p4pb11201256.jpg
    El Guapo Set-Up Data Base-p4pb11201252.jpg

Will try to post photos of the clearance on here. haha.

gone walk about
    ^^ you sir have a mess to clean up ANNNND perhaps move to avoid such muddy conditions.

gone walk about
    no more 26" EG in any size or color from titus/on-one. According to Brandon they have some long travel bikes in the works.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    ^^ you sir have a mess to clean up ANNNND perhaps move to avoid such muddy conditions.
    That's actually mild. Monsoon season + mud here can get WAAAY worse than that hahaha.

Here's a photo of the clearance with 2.3" Vigilante's.
    El Guapo Set-Up Data Base-p4pb11201422.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    i had a few recent additions to the bike (rims, drivetrain), and thought i'd post it up.

me: 170cm

frame: 2011 Small
    shock: pushed monarch rt3
    fork: Fox36 float RLC
    brakes: xtr 180/160
    wheels: CK with fun bolt rear, xd driver, cx-rays, brass nips, 33mm wide LB rims (1640g without fun bolts). Stans yellow tape.
    tyres/tubes: temporary - Blue Groove 2.5, Rubber Queen 2.2, with tubes. Soon to be Hans Dampfs tubeless
    drivetrain: XX1 cassette/shifter/der/chain, xtr crank/bb with RF 32T NW ring
    stem: 65mm
    bars: EC70 685mm
    post: while i am in between droppers (joplin finally gave out a few weeks ago), it has a thomson on it. reverb arrives next week
    other: CC40 headset, xtr trail pedals

while it may lose a little more when i go tubeless, this is probably the lightest it is ever gonna be (at 12.61kg), as i will be putting a reverb on it next week.

sorry about the crappy photos
    El Guapo Set-Up Data Base-imag0216.jpgEl Guapo Set-Up Data Base-imag0215.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Update on my El-Guapo a lot has changed over the last few months

El Guapo Set-Up Data Base-8wqn0or.jpg

El Guapo V3 Large
    Rockshox Monarch RT3
    Marzocchi 350 CR 650b 160mm Fork
    On-One Smoothie headset
    El Guapo corto stem
    ABR Heat 760 mm handlebar
    Superstar Excel Grips
    SLX Crank
    Superstar XCR ST chain guide
    M540 pedals
    Raceface NW 30t chainring
    Deore clutch mech
    Deore shifter
    Deore cassette
    TMARS Dropper seatpost
    Selle Italia SLR Flow saddle
    Superstar XM 490 rims on Switch Evo hubs
    Chunky Monkey 2.4 front tyre Smorgasbord 2.25 rear
    Deore M596 brakes 180mm front 160mm rear

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    A long overdue update of my v3!

El Guapo Set-Up Data Base-2itjuhi.jpg

El Guapo Set-Up Data Base-2v1lt1l.jpg

Medium EG v3
    2011 Fox Float 36 RC2
    DSP Dueler w/ 500lbs titanium coil
    Shimano Saint M810
    Shimano Siant M810 SGS
    Shimano XTR M988
    Shimano IceTech 203mm (F) Shimano IceTech 180mm (R)
    Shimano XT M785 Double chainset 170mm
    Hope Steel bb
    HT AE01 pedals
    SRAM HG990 cassette
    Hope Retainer ring 32t
    Taya NOVE-91 Ultra Light Ti-Gold
    ZTR Flow EX rims
    DT Swiss Comp spokes
    Industry Nine Torch hubs
    Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35
    Chris King headset
    Answer DJ stem
    Enve DH Minnarrbar 760mm handlebar
    Answer DH grips
    KS LEV 30.9mm dropper
    Da Bomb Skull 2.0 saddle

gone walk about
    ^ bet that baby is bomb proof eh?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    not too sure about being bombproof! not tested, yet! haha!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Here is my 2013 V3 El Guapo 26+

El Guapo Set-Up Data Base-dsc03569_zps4825ecbc.jpg

Specs:

Fork: Rock Shox Lyrik RC2DH Coil
    Stem: Titus El Guapo 35mm
    Handlebar: Easton Monkey Bar DH 711mm
    Rear shock: Elka Stage 5 Titanium spring
    Gear lever: Shimano XT 9 sp
    Rear derailleur: Shimano Saint 9sp Mediun cage
    Crankset: Shimano Saint
    Bashguard: MRP Taco bashguard
    Chainring: RaceFace Narrow Wide 30T
    Chain: Shimano XTR
    Cassette: Shimano Deore 12-36T 9sp
    Wheels: DT Swiss 440 hubs/Mavic EX729 rims
    Tyres: Surly Dirt Wizard 26+ 2,75"
    Seatpost: Ritchey WCS
    Seat: SDG Duster
    Brakes: Shimano XT BR-M785
    Rotots: Shimano 180mm

The Dirt Wizard tyres fit without a problem

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by SatuSetä View Post
    Here is my 2013 V3 El Guapo 26+

The Dirt Wizard tyres fit without a problem
    wow perfect setup right down to the tires fitment..........did you mention it was FS?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4