mtbr member
    Jan 2004

El Guapo rear derailleur help needed

I managed to destroy the rear derailleur on my 2012 El Guapo, I need to order a new one and have a question. I'm running older (2008?) SRAM X9 I swapped from another bike so I plan on getting another X9 but don't know if I need short, long, or med cage. I don't know what's on there now. I recently changed the drivetrain over to 2x9, using 24/38 rings and a Shimano 12-36 rear cassette. It looks like the medium cage X9 will work from what I read in the drivetrain section, anyone running a similar set-up? Which one should I buy? Thanks

mtbr member
    Medium will work fine.

mtbr member
    9spd x9 medium works better than long. Washer on the mounting bolt has little more wiggle room compared to model from couple years ago, so need to align the hanger to the d instead of to the rim

mtbr member
    the mid cage should work.. For that matter i have set up for a fren's EG and couple other bikes 11-34 cogs to 22-32/34 using Saint short cage.. Shimano dee have a larger tolerance over what is stated in their specs by ~ another 2 tooth. But I reckon SRAM should be similar as well.

do watch the 36t cassette-- puts quite a bit of stress on the hub freebody.

Just as a side interest if anyone is interested-- there is an alternative out there by adding on a custom 36 but removing one of the free cog on a regular cassette.

mtbr member
    I don't suggest the above with anything but a steel freehub body. Those things will kill an aluminum freehub in 50 miles of use around here. They don't spread the load enough and cause that single cog to chew into the freehub, especially with the torque one can generate with a 36t gear
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    I don't suggest the above with anything but a steel freehub body. Those things will kill an aluminum freehub in 50 miles of use around here. They don't spread the load enough and cause that single cog to chew into the freehub, especially with the torque one can generate with a 36t gear
    Yea Terrible, I'm not totally convinced...that's why I'm waiting for a longer term field report from a friend that just got it installed... here's a pic

mtbr member
    I wonder how the Ti will treat the chain? If he would cut them out of stainless that would be good. but I think most of his stuff is for the WW crowd.

i do like that chain guide setup he has on the site though.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The medium cage is on it's way. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    29 needs that 36t for sure...rather have 20t though